Gregg ***** up the Jays

Haddaway

Every time I see on the news about Gregg or Lindstrom melting down I feel like lighting a cigar. Like already pointed out, Lindstrom got off on a good start this year, but I was so glad when the Fish got rid of both those guys.

Talked to both of them recently...they couldn't wait to get out of Florida. Just wait Leo will suck it up (hope he doesn't) and then you will want him out of town too. That's alright though because most of the players on Florida's squard are doing one thing and one thing only...trying to get the hell out of the state.

For some odd reason, I think you hope he does. :p

Leo has been really good thus far this year, and his current numbers for the first 2 months of the season don't suggest a dropoff, at all. Ever since they found out he was tipping his pitches in Spring Training, and got that corrected with him, he's been downright dominant.

As for your last sentence...I think you're just being bitter. If everyone on the Marlins is trying to leave, the team sure as hell is doing good then, being 1 game over .500. Much better than what I could say for the Astros, at the moment. :thumbup

Last year I was hoping he did blow up but he never did. I turned a new leaf this year and told myself that I would never root against another player (closer for that matter). Arnsberg will get Matt right and he will continue to improve and that's one positive he has going for him.

Leo has been good and I hope he finds continued success...really I do. He will regress to his mean just like every player in the big leagues. I hope he has a career year and proves me wrong. I want you to know that I still cheer for Florida, in fact I wear all the Florida stuff in my home town. I get razzed for it for sure, but I like it.

I'm not bitter at all, well maybe a little because the Astros suck so bad. I stand corrected! :D

Matt Lindstrom had a meltdown tonight too. It's his second in less than a week.

He's been surprisingly solid this season but it seems like he's coming back down to earth.

1.61 WHIP. I don't know why his WHIP's are continuously so high, but that's not a number I'd want for my "closer." He has great stuff, but he was hittable here, and is still very hittable, for some reason.

You know I got to come back and defend this right? Can't argue with the WHIP thing, however, he has only had 2 meltdowns so far this year and both of them were because of nagging injury (he is having a problem with his landing hip this year). When he feels 100% he is rather effective. 22 consecutive saves before he blew the one isn't bad-getting the job done anyways. His second half of the year is usually better so for him to have decent numbers in the first half is good for him. Needless to say he wouldn't hurt anyones bullpen, especially not the Marlins this year...correct me if I'm wrong.

I fully understand why you defend him, but as a baseball fan, it is what it is. It seems everytime he struggles, you seem to make the excuse of nagging injuries, which over the course of the year everyone has. If he's truly injured, perhaps he shouldn't be forcing himself to pitch because you can't help your team when injured (which he should've learned last year).

The WHIP is high, and he's now had a long enough career to admit that he's quite hittable. He doesn't have dominant, consistent strikeout stuff, and over the course of his career, he's allowed more hits than innings pitched (this year being no different). I don't understand why; he has good velocity on his fastball, and unlike some who continually say he's flat, I don't see that. I actually think his fastball has gained more movement over the years, from what I've seen...especially the couple of times I've seen him this year.

WHIP is an important statistic, as well. It's unreasonable to suggest his ERA will remain under 3, with a WHIP at 1.61. His career WHIP is 1.46, and his ERA is just under 4. Basically, he's Kevin Gregg, only that Gregg allows the longball more, while Lindstrom is more of a groundball pitcher.

Truthfully, the comments on this thread about Gregg and Lindstrom are not fair because they truly weren't/aren't that bad, but at the end of the day, they're relievers I don't miss. They're your average major league relievers.

Coming from the horses mouth directly. As for forcing himself to pitch, I agree, he shouldn't. I think you know as well as I do it's an ego thing even if it hurts the club. I think a lot of players do it.

WHIP to me is not that important if you are getting the job done. You can give up a meaningless hit or walk every inning and have no damage done. I am realistic and understand that increases your chances of damage but still, WHIP isn't everything especially if you don't give up the long ball often.

It's not unreasonable to suggest that his era will remain under 3. If so, then it's reasonable to suggest that Leo will regress back to his career 4.42 ERA and 1.31 WHIP because that is what the stats say. No where near Kevin Gregg, he hasn't walked 5 batters in the 9th inning yet. :p

You don't have to miss them, they are doing fine in other organizations. Average or not they are still playing at the highest level in important roles. They must be doing something right? Otherwise they wouldn't be playing at all. :thumbup

Leo Nunez problem has been the long ball, which he seems to have under control this year. He's actually been more of a groundball pitcher this year, as well. His WHIP's over the last 3 years have been very respectable, 1.2ish, and this year his WHIP is under 1, and he's K'ing over a batter per inning. So, no, really it's not the same thing.

A high WHIP pretty much means that you're playing with fire, so yes it's unreasonable to think Lindstrom's ERA remains under 3, if his WHIP stays that high. It won't. Just last year, his WHIP was a very similar 1.65, and his ERA was near 6. Sooner or later, WHIP translates to ERA, so it's important to keep the WHIP low.

As for not missing them, I mean that based on the fact that they wouldn't be closing here, their salaries are too high (the Marlins being a small market team) for us. No point for the Marlins having average relievers at that salary in the bullpen just because they get the job done. There are other far more important areas on a team to spend money on. The Marlins backend of the bullpen has been fine this year. If you're asking me if I'd take Lindstrom or Gregg over the likes of Tim Wood, Jay Buente, Jorge Sosa, etc., obviously yes, but then again, those guys I mentioned are making league minimum. The Marlins, historically, have also had a knack of getting relievers to have career years, which is yet another reason why I don't miss these relievers. As we speak, Clay Hensley is having a career year out of our bullpen, as he's, honestly, dominated the 8th inning, since taking over the role.

I always thought Matt got hit hard because of his delivery. He has a very violent/explosive delivery which makes batters gear up for the hard stuff. So when he does throw the fast ball they're on it.

I agree. His delivery stinks in my opinion. I think it is the reason he can't locate his pitches very well and it's the reason his hip hurts this year.

Leo has made adjustments and I agree he is doing well and will continue to do well throwing the change and locating the fastball for sure.

Can't argue with this. I know Matt has been fortunate this year with bases loaded a couple of times for sure or else it would be even higher. You do play with fire when you allow people on base, but I don't think it's the end of the world so to say. You are right it can get you in trouble though