Baker as lefty bat off bench?

gizmo

Helms

Baker

Bonifacio

4th OF'er or another stopgap 2B/3B

Backup catcher

That bench is fine.

Baker probably can't play a position for now, but Bonifacio plays everywhere so you're not really handicapped; Infante plays everywhere too, in case of in-game emergencies.

Flexibility should be fine for Edwin, really.

Chris Coghlan starting in CF is a much bigger issue, at this point.

I think that is a really weak bench, unless the starting 3B is part of the bench in a platoon role, like a Jorge Cantu (seriously, why not bring him back), and that "4th OF" on your list is someone legit who could theoretically take over CF playing time if Coghlan stinks, like Rick Ankiel.

I can live with Baker if they get some more guys on the team. And, they also need a backup catcher, so I really feel this team needs three more guys - veteran 3B, CF, and C.

I think that is a really weak bench, unless the starting 3B is part of the bench in a platoon role, like a Jorge Cantu (seriously, why not bring him back), and that "4th OF" on your list is someone legit who could theoretically take over CF playing time if Coghlan stinks, like Rick Ankiel.

I can live with Baker if they get some more guys on the team. And, they also need a backup catcher, so I really feel this team needs three more guys - veteran 3B, CF, and C.

I don't really see the difference, aside from the fact that Rick Ankiel will cost more, between Rick Ankiel and Scott Cousins.

Ankiel is not good.

Horrible K/BB ratios, and a guy who has put up a .672 .OPS and .709 .OPS respectively the last two years with average defense. No thanks to that; Cousins could easily put those #'s up, and probably do a bit better, as well. Cousins is capable of playing CF, as well, as we all know.

If they decide to go with Bonifacio as the 4th OF'er, and choose to go with a 2B/3B instead with that bench spot, I think I'd rather give the spot to Ozzie Martinez, instead of giving it to Cantu. Cantu looked like he was just about done offensively last season, and we all know how much he sucks defensively. Even in his best days, he was always mediocre against RHP, which is something I'd be pretty meh about, considering team needs.

In terms of overall production, Martinez wouldn't be a huge downgrade, if at all, to a guy like Cantu (especially if we're getting 2010 Cantu).

A guy who I could see as a better fit is another guy you've mentioned...Willy Aybar. Simply because Aybar is more versatile, and isn't really, really horrendus defensively. He'd be a nice fit; absolutely perfect fit actually, if his #'s hitting right-handed would be his #'s hitting left-handed, instead of vice-versa.

All in all, if they're content with Baker as a pinch-hitter, I'd rather they spend the bench money on a better backup catcher than that 4th OF'er/2B-3B spot.

An experienced guy like Greg Zaun who's been really productive against right-handed pitching over the years would be a real upgrade, especially since John Buck will have his struggles against right-handed pitching.

Helms

Baker

Bonifacio

Cousins

Zaun

...would be fine with me.

I don't think it's wise to be putting guys like Cousins and O. Martinez on the bench when they could get consistent AB in AAA. Give them the experience, not a lot of bench warming. They could each be starters on this team if they work out. Seriously. It's not all about just plugging in what you have. Signing some cheap veterans would really be helpful, especially with a position core of Stanton, Morrison, Coghlan, Gaby, and Dominguez that are super young.

Get veterans for the bench. Don't do that to rookies unless they are out of options.

I don't think it's wise to be putting guys like Cousins and O. Martinez on the bench when they could get consistent AB in AAA. Give them the experience, not a lot of bench warming. They could each be starters on this team if they work out. Seriously. It's not all about just plugging in what you have. Signing some cheap veterans would really be helpful, especially with a position core of Stanton, Morrison, Coghlan, Gaby, and Dominguez that are super young.

Get veterans for the bench. Don't do that to rookies unless they are out of options.

I'd say it's pretty much a given at this point that Scott Cousins is a 4th OF'er, and probably not really a significant part of this organization, long-term.

Cousins is going to be 26; if the organization felt he was starter material, they would've given him a shot now heading into next season, instead of going with the Coghlan experiment in CF.

I'd say it's pretty much a given at this point that Scott Cousins is a 4th OF'er, and probably not really a significant part of this organization, long-term.

Cousins is going to be 26; if the organization felt he was starter material, they would've given him a shot now heading into next season, instead of going with the Coghlan experiment in CF.

I don't agree with that. He has been "blocked" by Maybin and Ross for years coming up, and the team obviously hates Coghlan at 2B so this is the last place they can try him out at with the current lineup. I'm not saying he is part of long term plans, but he is a bit more than "Brett Carroll" and I suspect if something opens up due to injury, or massive Coghlan defensive failure, they would give him 200 AB to see if he translates. He plays excellent defense and is a lefty. There is a lot of like here despite his offensive short comings.

Regardless, just let him hit in AAA when there are FA 4th OF options. It's not a big deal.

I don't agree with that. He has been "blocked" by Maybin and Ross for years coming up, and the team obviously hates Coghlan at 2B so this is the last place they can try him out at with the current lineup. I'm not saying he is part of long term plans, but he is a bit more than "Brett Carroll" and I suspect if something opens up due to injury, or massive Coghlan defensive failure, they would give him 200 AB to see if he translates. He plays excellent defense and is a lefty. There is a lot of like here despite his offensive short comings.

Regardless, just let him hit in AAA when there are FA 4th OF options. It's not a big deal.

It would be nice to have experience over youth off the bench, but what about the payroll? When guys like Francouer and Xavier Nady are getting ~3 mill, I'd imagine a guy like Ankiel (who can play CF, and had a big moment or two this past postseason) would get around the same amount of money. As it is, the Marlins are over the projected 53-55 mill they had for the '11 payroll.

With or without the '11 payroll question, I'm not sure I'd want to pay a guy off the bench that much. This is probably the reason why the Marlins are no longer interested in Renteria, as well; they would've probably offered the same cash as the Giants were offering (~1 mill), which Renteria called a "lack of respect."

It would be nice to have experience over youth off the bench, but what about the payroll? When guys like Francouer and Xavier Nady are getting ~3 mill, I'd imagine a guy like Ankiel (who can play CF, and had a big moment or two this past postseason) would get around the same amount of money. As it is, the Marlins are over the projected 53-55 mill they had for the '11 payroll.

With or without the '11 payroll question, I'm not sure I'd want to pay a guy off the bench that much. This is probably the reason why the Marlins are no longer interested in Renteria, as well; they would've probably offered the same cash as the Giants were offering (~1 mill), which Renteria called a "lack of respect."

That was either the second or third projected payroll from the "experts." I'm thinking they have probably upped their projections again. Nothing like looking at what it currently is and then predicting a payroll. They would be better off waiting until Opening Day Eve and then making a "prediction."

Now, Lou is really good at showing how we have spent so far with projected earnings of guys that are arbitration eligible. I haven't seen a prediction from him this year, just showing how the projected salaries would work out. And that's cool. But I would really like to see an update on that. I think we are near $59 mil right now??

rick ankiel would be ideal because even though his offense has declined the last two seasons he could still be a great defensive substitute because he's got a cannon for an arm and good accuracy. also i'd like the cantu idea because he was one of my favorite players but with extending helms there really is no need for cantu. i wouldn't be surprised if cantu put up good production next season because alot of players have off years and then mash the next year......it's just how baseball is. still not sure why they don't give eric chavez a minor league deal in case dominguez isn't ready

Cantu may be forty two years old.

The birth certificates of US citizens born in the United States are generally pretty reliable.

Please, I've seen one of a Kenyan that was supposedly born in Hawaii.

Are you saying you think his is fake? That it could be fake? Or that you have no confidence in MLB checking on these things now and in Cantu's honesty?

Personally I have no reason to doubt he is what he says he is. This falls along the lines of another discussion with someone else. Show me where he has been dishonest in the past.

The birth certificates of US citizens born in the United States are generally pretty reliable.

Are you saying you think his is fake? That it could be fake? Or that you have no confidence in MLB checking on these things now and in Cantu's honesty?

Personally I have no reason to doubt he is what he says he is. This falls along the lines of another discussion with someone else. Show me where he has been dishonest in the past.

Once again, people on the Internet fail to pick up on a joke if there's not 20 emoticons behind it or something.

He's saying that you took his comment way too seriously...

He's saying that you took his comment way too seriously...

Wasn't me in the first place.........But yea. I know. Too bad you couldn't read into my comment.

I'm OK with it too. John Buck won't really need to be platooning much, so the backup catcher (Hayes or Davis) likely won't see the field much. So if we're running with a 5 person bench...

Helms

Baker

Bonifacio

Hayes/Davis

Cousins/Petersen

Not an absolutely horrible bench... meh. Kinda. But I can live with it. After Baker comes back maybe we can sign someone to a minor league deal and try them out like Doug Mientkiewicz last year (I had to google that last name haha)

I'm OK with it too. John Buck won't really need to be platooning much, so the backup catcher (Hayes or Davis) likely won't see the field much. So if we're running with a 5 person bench...

Helms

Baker

Bonifacio

Hayes/Davis

Cousins/Petersen

Not an absolutely horrible bench... meh. Kinda. But I can live with it. After Baker comes back maybe we can sign someone to a minor league deal and try them out like Doug Mientkiewicz last year (I had to google that last name haha)

That is an absolutely horrible bench

Helms

Baker

Bonifacio

Hayes/Davis

Cousins/Petersen

That's awful, all of those guys besides maybe Baker would OPS under .700 if they started and probably won't be getting many hits off the bench.