Cody Gets $6.3M

watertown_kid

I don't know if he's going to start or not, but Burrell is only getting something like $1 MM. I know he's bad in the field and is a bit older than Ross is, but he has a much better bat.

Is that really the case now? I know Cody is streaky and all, but he must have a better bat over a season than Burrell nowadays?

I don't know if he's going to start or not, but Burrell is only getting something like $1 MM. I know he's bad in the field and is a bit older than Ross is, but he has a much better bat.

Is that really the case now? I know Cody is streaky and all, but he must have a better bat over a season than Burrell nowadays?

In my opinion...absolutely.

Burrell, for some reason, sucked with Tampa. Despite his poor performance at the beginning of 2010, he still managed a cumulative .817 OPS. His .682 OPS in 2009 is his only sub .800 OPS season since 2003. And it doesn't appear that Burrell benefited much from CBP upon looking at his splits.

Ross, on the other hand, hits like a 4th OFer. To me the only wild card here is the question as to why Burrell struggled so much with Tampa.

Burrell, for some reason, sucked with Tampa. Despite his poor performance at the beginning of 2010, he still managed a cumulative .817 OPS. His .682 OPS in 2009 is his only sub .800 OPS season since 2003. And it doesn't appear that Burrell benefited much from CBP upon looking at his splits.

Ross, on the other hand, hits like a 4th OFer. To me the only wild card here is the question as to why Burrell struggled so much with Tampa.

maybe burrell never adapted to the american league.

I wouldn't call him a 4th OFer. He's 18th (of 45) in OPS amongst CF in the last 3 years (with 150 games played). It's not amazing, and definitely not $6.3M worth, but with that and his defense in CF, he's definitely a starting CF in this league.

I wouldn't call him a 4th OFer. He's 18th (of 45) in OPS amongst CF in the last 3 years (with 150 games played). It's not amazing, and definitely not $6.3M worth, but with that and his defense in CF, he's definitely a starting CF in this league.

This is fair, but it relies upon a matter of perspective

If he plays CF everyday, I think you are right, but if he plays at the corners, his bat might not be good enough. Fourth OFer range (not just CF but all three) is probably somewhere like low .700s in OPS. You might say Ross is way above that upon looking at his 3 year splits, but I can't confidently project he's that good since he's been trending downward over all three years. If he repeats his 2010 numbers at a corner position, he's probably a fringe bat. I do agree that overall, his glove does make up for that somewhat, but I'm talking offensive alone.

Basically I'm saying that using CF numbers might not always be the best benchmark for 4th OFer status and that I'm concerned that Ross might put up numbers closer to 2010 than 2008.