MLB Network's Top 10 Right Now

floridafly

Mike Stanton is only ranked 8th on the Top 10? Not to be a homer here, but they specifically said that this list wasn't about past accomplishments, it's based on who you would want to draft on your team RIGHT NOW.

Not that they disrespected Stanton, they called him The Terminator and did some funny graphics with it. And also said he probably has the most upside out of anyone on the list.

I would have placed him at about 5 or 6, but I guess that's just me.

Also, were there any other Marlins on the MLB Network Top 10 things? I haven't caught too many of them, but I would assume JJ and Hanley cracked the top 10 (probably 3) for their positions. Maybe John Buck at 10 or 9?

Sorry, but you're being Super Homer-Man; Stanton had a .259 BA and .326 OBP last season and they put him in the top 10. And it's right now, not Top 10 for the future. They are saying that, right now, the way he currently plays, he is the 8th best RFer in the league.

And Buck was like 7th or something amongst catchers. JJ was 10, I believe; while I would have had him a little higher I'm cool with that. Hanley came in first.

Sorry, but you're being Super Homer-Man; Stanton had a .259 BA and .326 OBP last season and they put him in the top 10. And it's right now, not Top 10 for the future. They are saying that, right now, the way he currently plays, he is the 8th best RFer in the league.

And Buck was like 7th or something amongst catchers. JJ was 10, I believe; while I would have had him a little higher I'm cool with that. Hanley came in first.

Yeah I figured haha. I think we're all bias because we get the chance to see him play every day.

I was actually shocked that Jay Bruce didn't make the Top 10. But they were heavily valuing the defensive aspects of all the players in the Top 10, which was the reason .

10. Justin Upton ARI

9. Nick Markakis BAL

8. Mike Stanton FLA

7. Jason Heyward ATL

6. Nelson Cruz TEX

5. Andre Ethier LAD

4. Jose Bautista TOR

3. Jayson Werth WAS

2. Shin Soo Choo CLE

1. Ichiro Suzuki SEA

Looking at that list, it really puts it into perspective. I can't argue with it. However Harold Reynolds said he wouldn't be surprised if after a few years, Stanton/Heyward have a lock on the 1-2 spots. Not too shabby for a 21 year old at 8th on this list.

CBS Sports have been doing something recently where 4 of their analysts rank players by position relative to the next 3 years. Stanton comes in 5th on that list

1.8 Carlos Gonzalez

2.3 Shin-Soo Choo

3.8 Jason Heyward

5.8 Ichiro Suzuki

6.8 Mike Stanton

7.3 Jayson Werth

7.8 Nelson Cruz

8.3 Jose Bautista

8.8 Jay Bruce

8.8 Justin Upton

(average ranking provided next to name)

That's the only thing that's not justice.

People gotta remember. Hermida had a good rookie season (or 2nd season, or however you look at it).

Why not?

People gotta remember. Hermida had a good rookie season (or 2nd season, or however you look at it).

Hermida's actual second season was very good but his rookie season was crap. I remember he actually kept his average around .290 for a while and fantasy sites like rotoworld were saying that while he didn't look good, he at least had respectable numbers (which disappeared because his numbers started reflecting how he looked). Stanton has looked every bit of his numbers.

I don't disagree with the rankings though; if anything I'm worried Stanton will slump a bit this year until he learns to make more consistent contact.

Josh Johnson's career high in innings pitched is 209, and he's only gone 200+ innings once in a season.

I love the fact we have him as our ace, etc., but he's not a top 5 pitcher in baseball, right now.

You can't compare guys who have barely made it to 200 innings to quality aces who are doing it consistently for 220+ innings.

It was hardly even the BPs fault half the time.

The offense wasn't there for JJ either.

No, it was the bullpen. I remember hearing a couple days ago that JJ had more wins blown by the pen than any pitcher in baseball last year. Part of that is JJ's fault for not going a bit deeper into games, but it's the pen's fault mostly.

On top of that, he had 4.44 average run support, which is higher than the league average of 4.33.

No, it was the bullpen. I remember hearing a couple days ago that JJ had more wins blown by the pen than any pitcher in baseball last year. Part of that is JJ's fault for not going a bit deeper into games, but it's the pen's fault mostly.

On top of that, he had 4.44 average run support, which is higher than the league average of 4.33.

If JJ can manage a couple more outs per game in his good starts, he'll be top 5 or top 3. As is, he's costing himself by handing over too many games to the bullpen to be decided.

Averages dont tell the whole story. JJ either got full run support when he didnt need it (like 8-0) or no run support when he did (like 2-1).

I can remember specifically the Dodgers game when Mike Stanton caught a foul ball that he shoulda let fall foul, letting the runner tag up. We won that game in the 9th off of a Paulino double, I believe. Should've been a JJ win.

I can remember specifically the Dodgers game when Mike Stanton caught a foul ball that he shoulda let fall foul, letting the runner tag up. We won that game in the 9th off of a Paulino double, I believe. Should've been a JJ win.

You can't blame Stanton for that. What if he lets that ball drop and then the batter goes yard on the next pitch or even just gets a hit and the Dodgers rallied for a few more runs? That's a loss right there.

Averages dont tell the whole story. JJ either got full run support when he didnt need it (like 8-0) or no run support when he did (like 2-1).

I believe you can name some of those for every pitcher.

I'd say the onus is on you to show that the logical and most likely deduction isn't accurate. I don't remember this off the top of my head, but it could be true.