The Miami Marlins

DrAlexSauce

After this (the 2011) season, the name and colors will switch to Miami Marlins and yet-to-be-disclosed colors. Nobody (outside of the Marlins ownership/top execs) seems to know what the new colors will be for sure, but we've thrown out some guesses based the colors in the ballpark's logo - also, the colors Red (3rd baseline), blue (home plate), yellow (first baseline), and green (outfield) are being used to divide the ballpark into sections to help people get around. Also to note, the blue used for the sections and seats is a darker blue than the one in the logo.

So, whether any of these 4 (above) or 5 (below/logo) are used on the uniforms? I'm not sure, but that's one of the few things we have to go on at this point.

After this (the 2011) season, the name and colors will switch to Miami Marlins and yet-to-be-disclosed colors. Nobody (outside of the Marlins ownership/top execs) seems to know what the new colors will be for sure, but we've thrown out some guesses based the colors in the ballpark's logo - also, the colors Red (3rd baseline), blue (home plate), yellow (first baseline), and green (outfield) are being used to divide the ballpark into sections to help people get around. Also to note, the blue used for the sections and seats is a darker blue than the one in the logo.

So, whether any of these 4 (above) or 5 (below/logo) are used on the uniforms? I'm not sure, but that's one of the few things we have to go on at this point.

thank you, sounds good!.. idk how green or red would make any sense but blue/orange/yellow is more fitting for miami.. In all honesty i dont really care what they choose, i just cant wait for opening day 2012.

thank you, sounds good!.. idk how green or red would make any sense but blue/orange/yellow is more fitting for miami.. In all honesty i dont really care what they choose, i just cant wait for opening day 2012.

You're welcome - I certainly hope red is not incorporated WHATSOEVER into the uniforms or branding - there's too many red teams. I agree green wouldn't fit. Orange has been heavily rumored as a uni color now that I'm thinking about it, but I don't like that idea at all (probably because orange is not one of my favorite colors). I always figured they only used orange in advertisements and branding now is because of the SunLife Stadium association w/ the orange seats, etc. You're likely right about the colors being some combo of blue/orange/yellow, though. We'll just have to wait and see, i guess!

I know of people that are dropping their ticket packages because of the changes, saying the team is ignoring it's history. They are quite ticked off about it.

The only problem I have is what I just read at marlins.com in an article on LoMo. Loria is saying he may unretire #5 so LoMo can wear it starting in 2012. I find that more than disrespectful. It's worthy of an email campaign to Samson.

Seriously?

I read the same article and thought it was a great idea. Whatever one may think of Barger, he never set foot on a baseball field as a player and I doubt more than 20% of this board (and maybe 1% of everyday fans) even associate his name with the team. They named the Viera training complex for him, that was sufficient. Who cares who a FO guy's favorite player was?

LoMo would like to wear Brett's number. Loria agrees. Fine by me.

But then I think the whole idea of retiring numbers is ridiculous. What are they going to do 200 years from now? Everyones number is over 100? Or go to decimals? Sorry, 9 is retired, 9.1 is taken by so-and-so, but 9.2 and 9.3 are available.

:lol

I know of people that are dropping their ticket packages because of the changes, saying the team is ignoring it's history. They are quite ticked off about it.

The only problem I have is what I just read at marlins.com in an article on LoMo. Loria is saying he may unretire #5 so LoMo can wear it starting in 2012. I find that more than disrespectful. It's worthy of an email campaign to Samson.

Really? And you have told them how childish they are being,right? For someone who has railed on peoples "excuses" for years, distance, rain, heat, front office etc.,-don't let them get away with it. People quitting on baseball because they do not like the name or the color scheme or maybe even the shape of the bill of the cap? Now, these are real baseball fans with real valid reasons for dropping their tickets. I guess they still wear the same polyester clothes they had from the 70's and 80's.

Seriously?

I read the same article and thought it was a great idea. Whatever one may think of Barger, he never set foot on a baseball field as a player and I doubt more than 20% of this board (and maybe 1% of everyday fans) even associate his name with the team. They named the Viera training complex for him, that was sufficient. Who cares who a FO guy's favorite player was?

But then I think the whole idea of retiring numbers is ridiculous. What are they going to do 200 years from now? Everyones number is over 100? Or go to decimals? Sorry, 9 is retired, 9.1 is taken by so-and-so, but 9.2 and 9.3 are available.

I agree. I get that he was our first president and all, but the reality is that he did very little in terms of contributing to this organization's history. There are other ways to honor Barger. I'm sure that the new stadium will have some sort of Marlins hall of fame. Put his name in there with the first set of inductees (Conine and possibly Lowell). There is no need to waste a uniform number.

As for people not buying tickets because of the name change...get over it. Miami Marlins sounds a hell of a lot better then the San Antonio Marlins. Besides, Miami made a commitment to this team when the state of Florida stalled the stadium effort at every turn.

The uniform will look fine, I'm sure they are doing plenty of design meetings with people who do this for a living and it's not just Loria and Samson working up something while watching project runway. I'll wait until I actually see it rather then speculate. My only wish is they have either the main hat, or an alternate with a two color scheme (braves, A's, O's etcetera). I've personally always liked the contrast that has.

Seriously?

I agree. I get that he was our first president and all, but the reality is that he did very little in terms of contributing to this organization's history. There are other ways to honor Barger. I'm sure that the new stadium will have some sort of Marlins hall of fame. Put his name in there with the first set of inductees (Conine and possibly Lowell). There is no need to waste a uniform number.

As for people not buying tickets because of the name change...get over it. Miami Marlins sounds a hell of a lot better then the San Antonio Marlins. Besides, Miami made a commitment to this team when the state of Florida stalled the stadium effort at every turn.

Exactly what I tell them. But it's not just the name change. You guys are just zeroing in on that. It's the whole package. Name, colors, uniforms, etc... All the changes as a whole seems to have tipped their opinions. It's not just a couple of people either. I'm finding more and more fans from this area locking into that excuse. And I do find it as an excuse, not a good reason. My defintions on the difference between the two is pretty well documented.

BTW I had no problem with the state not granting those tax exemptions. From what they could see it wasn't in the majority interests of Florida. As fans we could groan and moan about it, but they were doing their job.

You guys can disagree all you want but I'm never going to be in favor of unretiring #5. Barger was an integral part to the birth of this team. Don't like the idea of retiring numbers? Fine. Get everyone to unretire every number then. Including #24. Let's see how far you get with that.

The uniform will look fine, I'm sure they are doing plenty of design meetings with people who do this for a living and it's not just Loria and Samson working up something while watching project runway. I'll wait until I actually see it rather then speculate. My only wish is they have either the main hat, or an alternate with a two color scheme (braves, A's, O's etcetera). I've personally always liked the contrast that has.

As long as there is not a collective groan from the stands every time they take the field, I could care in the least what they wear.

But I hear on Fridays they will be wearing jerseys that say "The Marlins" on the front. And the give-away will be cheese, if you bring a cracker. j/k guys. Don't get the rumor going. (I do think they went overboard with that last year. But I very rarely go on Fridays anyway, so....)

If this is people's issue, they weren't going to go anyway. I already see the excuses starting to form. We haven't even seen the uniform and people are already saying they aren't going to go because of it. We are just trading one set of excuses (too hot, not made for baseball), for another (too far, uniforms aren't pretty enough, etcetera).

Seriously?

Exactly what I tell them. But it's not just the name change. You guys are just zeroing in on that. It's the whole package. Name, colors, uniforms, etc... All the changes as a whole seems to have tipped their opinions. It's not just a couple of people either. I'm finding more and more fans from this area locking into that excuse. And I do find it as an excuse, not a good reason. My defintions on the difference between the two is pretty well documented.

I just don't get that mentality. If it's just the name or the whole package, it's still a lame reason(or excuse) for dropping a team you have supported for 20 years. As long as they are South Florida's MLB team I'm going to be a fan. Nothing outside of a move to another state was going to change that.

BTW I had no problem with the state not granting those tax exemptions. From what they could see it wasn't in the majority interests of Florida. As fans we could groan and moan about it, but they were doing their job.

Please. There are plenty of projects and businesses that get tax exemptions every year that go to things in North Florida that South Floridians don't benefit from. Besides, the Marlins were seeking a tax exemption that had been granted to every team in the state, not just the South Florida major sports teams. I couldn't care less about the Tampa Bay Bucs, but I can recognize that the State is better off with them in it then not. The people against the Marlins bill up there claimed the Marlins were double-dipping because Wayne already had that exemption for his stadium. Anyway, that is all old news and irrelevant now.

You guys can disagree all you want but I'm never going to be in favor of unretiring #5. Barger was an integral part to the birth of this team. Don't like the idea of retiring numbers? Fine. Get everyone to unretire every number then. Including #24. Let's see how far you get with that.

I didn't say I object to retiring numbers, but Barger wasn't a player and doesn't need a number. Put him into a Marlins Hall of Fame or ring of honor, or build a monument on the Plaza. Retiring numbers are for players or managers. Team presidents shouldn't get that honor because they don't wear uniforms to do their jobs. All I'm saying is there are more appropriate ways to pay respect to what he did for the franchise. A plaque on display somewhere can at least explain who he was and why he's being remembered. Now most people see the #5 flag with no explanation and wonder who he was.

I didn't say I object to retiring numbers, but Barger wasn't a player and doesn't need a number. Put him into a Marlins Hall of Fame or ring of honor, or build a monument on the Plaza. Retiring numbers are for players or managers. Team presidents shouldn't get that honor because they don't wear uniforms to do their jobs. All I'm saying is there are more appropriate ways to pay respect to what he did for the franchise. A plaque on display somewhere can at least explain who he was and why he's being remembered. Now most people see the #5 flag with no explanation and wonder who he was.

Now that you explained it better, I see your point. That first part with the 200 year example was absurd exagerration.

But I still disagree. That retired number was given for his contributions to the birth of the team and it has been retired from Day One. Leave it that way. It is a part of our history. If some fans don't know what that flag stands for then it is our job to explain it to them. Just as it is our job to explain to the unknowing what any part of our history is, in and out of baseball. (Example---- I doubt very much if everyone in Miami knows who Julia Tuttle was, and I believe there is even a bridge or something named after her there.) I'm a huge LoMo fan, but the number on his back won't make him play any better.

If this is people's issue, they weren't going to go anyway. I already see the excuses starting to form. We haven't even seen the uniform and people are already saying they aren't going to go because of it. We are just trading one set of excuses (too hot, not made for baseball), for another (too far, uniforms aren't pretty enough, etcetera).

You and fauowls are absolutely correct. And it's what I have been saying since before ground was even broke. It will be interesting to see the new and improved line of excuses folks will be making after the first couple of years. Altho "too far" is a constant now.

I say at least try it. I think the majority of package holders from Broward north are doing it that way. Namely the full season package holders. And if it isn't working out for them, then downsize to a smaller package, such as a week end one. I find that reasonable.

I think if they do that and give it a try, people are going to be pleasantly surprised. Yeah it might take an extra 15 minutes to get there, but you don't have to worry about rain outs, and according to plans there will be bars and restaurants around the ballpark so you can make a whole evening out of it. It's going to be much better than swinging by Walmart for a sandwich and some tallboys that I do now. I will also say that since they put in the express lane on I95 it has made driving on it much better, so it will help getting down here.

Now that you explained it better, I see your point. That first part with the 200 year example was absurd exagerration.

But I still disagree. That retired number was given for his contributions to the birth of the team and it has been retired from Day One. Leave it that way. It is a part of our history. If some fans don't know what that flag stands for then it is our job to explain it to them. Just as it is our job to explain to the unknowing what any part of our history is, in and out of baseball. (Example---- I doubt very much if everyone in Miami knows who Julia Tuttle was, and I believe there is even a bridge or something named after her there.) I'm a huge LoMo fan, but the number on his back won't make him play any better.

First of all, why should it be our job to explain why the team retired a number for someone who never wore one? The man served as team president for a year and a half before we ever played a single game. I'm not trying to disrespect what he did for the team, but really, are whatever contributions he made for that short amount of time really worthy of the highest honor someone can get in the sport?? A plaque is far more appropriate, just as it would be for a team owner, GM, or broadcaster that played a significant role with a team. Also, the Julia Tuttle thing is different from this situation. You would expect local bridges and roadways to be named after locals or historical figures. That is a normal thing to do. It's not a normal thing for a team president to be given a retired number...that is an honor that should be reserved for someone who played the game.

First of all, why should it be our job to explain why the team retired a number for someone who never wore one? The man served as team president for a year and a half before we ever played a single game. I'm not trying to disrespect what he did for the team, but really, are whatever contributions he made for that short amount of time really worthy of the highest honor someone can get in the sport?? A plaque is far more appropriate, just as it would be for a team owner, GM, or broadcaster that played a significant role with a team. Also, the Julia Tuttle thing is different from this situation. You would expect local bridges and roadways to be named after locals or historical figures. That is a normal thing to do. It's not a normal thing for a team president to be given a retired number...that is an honor that should be reserved for someone who played the game.

I agree with you, it's absolutely absurd retiring a number that no one wore. Have a section in the new Marlin's stadium just for him for all I care, but #5?... no.

Retired numbers are for players.

Barger was certainly a major figure in the club's early history, but retiring a number for him was a little ridiculous. For the record, I don't agree with the MLB-wide retirement of #42, either. It's just a frivolous, feel-good move.

There are plenty of ways to honor important figures in MLB without retiring numbers. In Barger's case, he was honored on the inaugural sleeve patch. That is certainly sufficient. If Loria wants to unretire #5, then he should simply just erect some sort of memorial item within the new ballpark. I think that would be more appropriate.