June 3, 201115 yr :lol Classic http://onion.com/kbSl87 Gruesome Home Plate Collision Reawakens Nation’s Love Affair With Baseball SAN FRANCISCO—The people of the United States confirmed this week that seeing a horrific home plate collision fracture the left ankle and shred the ligaments of Giants catcher Buster Posey on May 25 provided exactly the spark they needed to renew their love affair with baseball. Enlarge Image Americans nationwide said the cringe-inducing sight of Posey’s lower leg breaking after Marlins outfielder Scott Cousins lowered his shoulder and slammed into the catcher was a reminder of why they fell in love with baseball in the first place, stirring feelings of warmth and affection they had not felt in years. "For a long time, I couldn’t stand being in the same room if a baseball game was on television," 44-year-old Seattle resident Stephen Wilson said. "But then you watch something as traumatic and nauseating as Buster’s ankle snapping in half, and it makes you realize that baseball can be a lot of fun." "This is the game I grew up watching," Wilson added. "I showed the replay to my kids, and they’ve been begging me to take them to a Mariners game ever since." The majority of Americans said their passion for baseball was instantly reignited when they witnessed Cousins score the game-winning run in the 12th inning by flattening Posey and leaving the 2010 National League Rookie of the Year writhing in pain. Viewers reportedly agreed the only way the stomach-churning sight could have more engaging would have been if Cousins had also suffered a dislocated shoulder, broken collarbone, or "one of those compound fractures, the kind where the bone is sticking out of the arm." Gene Olszewski, 58, a White Sox fan from Lake Forest, IL, admitted that until he saw Buster Posey’s season brutally cut short by a hard-nosed hit at home plate, his relationship with baseball had grown stale and he was no longer attracted to the sport. "You see baseball every day and it just gets to be the same old dull thing after a while," Olszewski said. "I just got tired of seeing all the same negative patterns like low scores and boring pitcher duels. I want a little action every so often, and a lot of people feel the same way." "Seeing a game decided by a devastating full-contact hit—especially one that knocks a rising young star out for the season—made me remember how much I still love baseball," Olszewski added. A statement released Wednesday by Major League Baseball claims that attendance at games has significantly increased since the sickening injury to Posey, as enthusiastic fans "catch collision fever" and show up in droves hoping to watch something awful happen to one of their favorite players in person. "My heart goes out to Buster Posey, because I know he’s in a lot of pain, but when his leg just collapsed underneath him and then he went limp and flopped down on the ground and didn’t move… That was probably the best thing to happen to baseball in 50 years," said MLB commissioner Bud Selig. "And I wish him a speedy recovery. Hopefully he can get back on the field really soon and next time get both his legs broken." Although the nation is encouraged by the increasing number of players seriously injured by errant pitches or line drives to the head, many expressed concerns about committing fully to baseball unless rules are changed to allow for more violent outcomes to previously routine plays. "They’ve got to make it so that base runners have a greater chance of slamming their cleats into faces of fielders when they slide into the bag," said Los Angeles resident and new Dodger fan Eric McGill. "But to counter that, fielders should be allowed to tag a base runner out by pummeling him with the ball until he loses consciousness." "Plus, they should have bench-clearing brawls at the top of every inning," McGill added. "And try to find a way to use their bats during the fights." The gruesome home plate collision has also reportedly rekindled the love of baseball for a number of previously jaded MLB players. "I can’t watch that replay without getting kind of nervous and all excited like I have butterflies in my stomach," said Buster Posey, who recently underwent surgery to repair his ankle and will be on crutches for two months. "It’s pretty badass. My feet weren’t really set correctly, and then he plows into me and my leg just bends completely the wrong way. It was super gross, but, man. Baseball is f***ing awesome."
June 3, 201115 yr And BTW where was all the outrage when JT Snow killed pudge in the NLDS but Pudge held on? Of course there was no faux "outrage." That play was classic. A catcher blocks the plate, catches the ball, holds the ball, makes the tag in the course of a legitimate collision, survives it without injury and gets the out. Unless they change the rules, that will always be the case at the plate. Posey wants to whine about a play where he not only failed to catch the ball but was improperly positioned to survive a hit that he knew, or should have known might be imminent, whether he had the ball or not. Surely, every ML catcher has at least entertained the notion that a guy trying to score might think that he has the ball, whether he has it or not and therefore might be hit, regardless of exactly where he might be positioned near the plate. Worse, he refuses to return the call of the guy who is apologetic about the fact that he had to hit him, and is upset about the injury, which was totally unintended. No class at all. I have no sympathy for Posey, Sabean or the Giants.
June 3, 201115 yr The Giants GM is a clown but one question, How would we respond if it was Mike Staton out for the season?
June 3, 201115 yr http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=14128#commentMessage Awesome Article showing how Sabean is a huge hypocrite. He needs to be fined for this one.
June 3, 201115 yr I don't have numbers on it Well, there ya go. I must have missed the ones you posted when you said "almost ALL." My bad, I don't read well. Like, you have to be joking. There's no way you're being serious with this post, right?
June 3, 201115 yr The Giants GM is a clown but one question, How would we respond if it was Mike Staton out for the season? It would suck obviously, but I would have accepted it by now. Posey, his agent, and sabean are a disgrace to baseball. How about learning how to block the plate when your a full time catcher. Collisions at the plate are awesome and usually the runner has no chance if the catcher has a clue on how to cover the plate. Unfortunately for posey, he's a naive dumbass who didn't think this could happen to him and he paid the price for not being prepared. I felt bad for posey at first, but now he's just a whiny b**ch to me.
June 3, 201115 yr Did Cousins apologize for the trucking or for causing the injury? If he apologized for the trucking, I think Posey should accept it. If he apologized for causing the injury but not for the trucking, I think Posey should tell him to f*ck off. Why would he apologize for trucking him? Was it an accident? It was intentional. He'd do it again. Of course he's not sorry, nor should he be. He's sorry it resulted in Posey getting injured.
June 3, 201115 yr If there's something you can do that could be the difference between a win and a loss that's not cheating, you do it. You can't expect cousins not to. They teach you since your kids to run through the catcher if it gets there before you. I have cousins back. I hope they chose Mike Stanton to throw at.
June 3, 201115 yr I no longer feel sorry Posey, either. He Better get ready to be a first baseman, cuz his legs are done for lmao.
June 3, 201115 yr Like, you have to be joking. There's no way you're being serious with this post, right? Well, no, actually. I was entirely serious. I'm sorry that you don't understand the point that most everyone gets. He was a catcher voluntarily, knew the risks and ignored his manager's advice not to block the plate. And won't return Cousins' call. Very Ross-like. As in infantile. Must be something in the water in SF.
June 3, 201115 yr I understand the point, I just disagree with it. The reason I said you have to be joking is because there's no way you can seriously dismiss my post simply because I said I don't have numbers when your previous point would rely on the same numbers. I'm sorry you don't understand why that was stupid. You know that being a boxer is a dangerous, and nobody forces you to do it, and Rocky told him to throw in the towel, but that didn't stop Rocky from being angry at Ivan Drago for killing Apollo Creed.
June 3, 201115 yr He was a catcher voluntarily, knew the risks and ignored his manager's advice not to block the plate. Posey clearly was not blocking the plate.
June 3, 201115 yr He was a catcher voluntarily, knew the risks and ignored his manager's advice not to block the plate. Posey clearly was not blocking the plate. Yeah, this really isn't the same as most situations, especially not the Whiteside one from a few days ago with Fielder. Cousins thought his only chance to be safe was to knock the ball loose. not because he didn't have a chance to get to the plate, but because the ball beat him there and he would've been tagged out. This wasn't a situation where he had to go through Posey to get to the plate, he had to go through Posey to get Posey to drop the ball. That is, I think, their issue with the whole situation.
June 3, 201115 yr Did Cousins apologize for the trucking or for causing the injury? If he apologized for the trucking, I think Posey should accept it. If he apologized for causing the injury but not for the trucking, I think Posey should tell him to f*ck off. Why would he apologize for trucking him? Was it an accident? It was intentional. He'd do it again. Of course he's not sorry, nor should he be. He's sorry it resulted in Posey getting injured. I know it was intentional so I don't understand what Cousins intentions are with his apology. Maybe he wants some cover to not feel bad. However, in cases where the result of an action is foreseable, such as this case, I don't think people should apologize for the result of an action if they don't apologize the action itself.
June 3, 201115 yr This article discusses the ARod slap and quotes some rules. I think the rules could be interpreted that trucking defenseless catchers is interference. If not, then trucking defenseless first basemen should be allowed too. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/playoffs/2004-10-20-interference-alcs-game6_x.htm
June 3, 201115 yr Cousins thought his only chance to be safe was to knock the ball loose. not because he didn't have a chance to get to the plate, but because the ball beat him there and he would've been tagged out. This wasn't a situation where he had to go through Posey to get to the plate, he had to go through Posey to get Posey to drop the ball. Precisely. And Posey and his GM should drop their pretense.
June 3, 201115 yr Would any of you give up that win and change it to a loss to give back Posey's season? If any of you do, you have no business even watching competitive sports. Cousins has nothing to apologize for besides having to injur Posey. The play was legal and Posey and co are just being bitches now.
June 3, 201115 yr And wtf @ Posey still bring mentally shaken up? It's a f***ing injury. I can't see where this becomes traumatic for a f***ing adult. Sometimes things happen to other people that haven't happened to you, and they react to those things. I'm going to guess you aren't in a field that has a cap of about 10-12 years of earning potential. Buster Posey is, and he just lost an entire year of that career because of the actions of someone else. He's seriously injured, and his day-to-day life is being affected. He's worried he will not play for a year, and this might severely negatively affect his career long term. He doesn't want to be the next Ray Fosse. Assuming Posey was aware there was an MLB when he grew up and he watched it, he should be prepared for something. He's a catcher, he's seen the injuries and picked his position. If he wasn't prepared for an injury (that isn't even a concussion nor was he even knocked out) then he was mentally ill-prepared to play baseball. You look at real possibilities, accept them and prepare for them. It's what adults do.
June 3, 201115 yr The Giants GM is a clown but one question, How would we respond if it was Mike Staton out for the season? When would Stanton be blocking the plate?
June 3, 201115 yr The Giants GM is a clown but one question, How would we respond if it was Mike Staton out for the season? Silly MVETOY, injuries are for humans.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.