Giants are still crying

Erick

If the Giants retaliate, we should plunk their pitcher in the head when he comes out to bat.

And wtf @ Posey still bring mentally shaken up? It's a f***ing injury. I can't see where this becomes traumatic for a f***ing adult. It doesn't seem like Posey should be a catcher.

And wtf @ Posey still bring mentally shaken up? It's a f***ing injury. I can't see where this becomes traumatic for a f***ing adult.

Sometimes things happen to other people that haven't happened to you, and they react to those things.

I'm going to guess you aren't in a field that has a cap of about 10-12 years of earning potential. Buster Posey is, and he just lost an entire year of that career because of the actions of someone else. He's seriously injured, and his day-to-day life is being affected. He's worried he will not play for a year, and this might severely negatively affect his career long term. He doesn't want to be the next Ray Fosse.

It's pretty clear to everyone who actually played MLB baseball that the play was clean and unfortunate. Hell, how more contrite and apologetic can Cousins be. As soon as he scored he checked to see if Posey was ok and has given repeated teary eye apologies. If this guy sits in the front row at the next Marlins-Giants game, I'm all for a wild pitch right to his head. What a whiny douche.

“Buster doesn’t understand this. And until it happens to you … He went through a tremendous experience, maybe moreso mentally than physically. And he’s going through a hell of a time physically, with phantom pain we’re trying to … get under control, he’s not in a real good housing situation we’re going to have to get him out of, because stairs and how he needs to get around, so there’s a lot to get around here."

This guy is talking about an adult MLB Player WITH a Bachelor's Degree; yet he makes it sound like Posey is a helpless child victim of a botched rape/murder attempt.

World's smallest violin seriously.

I'm going to guess you aren't in a field that has a cap of about 10-12 years of earning potential. Buster Posey is, and he just lost an entire year of that career because of the actions of someone else. He's seriously injured, and his day-to-day life is being affected. He's worried he will not play for a year, and this might severely negatively affect his career long term. I'm going to guess you've never experienced anything like that, so it's probably best that you don't judge.

All of that may be true, but:

1) Posey is not a stranger to the concept of being in a business where players, all of whom have limited playing years, get injured every day, sometimes severely and some of those injuries are career-ending or impeding.

2) Posey decided to be a catcher, it wasn't a choice imposed on him.

3) Bochy has been quoted as coaching Posey not to block the plate due to injury concerns.

Yet he put himself in a position to be injured anyway, regardless of exactly where he was positioned or precisely how much of the plate he was blocking, Cousins landed on the plate.

I watched that play happen like everyone else. If Posey catches that ball, Cousins is out by a mile. Cousins, watching it happen 10 feet in front of him rightly instantaneously concluded that his only choice was to attempt to knock the ball loose.

Posey and his GM need to get over it. These guys are after-the-fact whiners. No, actually, it's worse than that. According to SF media, Posey has refused to return Cousins' telephone call of apology, like some sort of petulant child.

As for Sabean, Mr. tough-guy "we have long memories" GM, well, he's beneath contempt.

1) Posey is not a stranger to the concept of being in a business where players, all of whom have limited playing years, get injured every day, sometimes severely and some of those injuries are career-ending or impeding.

Almost none of them are the direct result of someone else's actions. You can't be upset with anyone if you blow out a knee rounding first. This is different. It doesn't have to be an acknowledgment by Posey that it was dirty, but he absolutely has every right to be upset with Cousins. I'm sure he'll eventually forgive him, but he's got a right to be upset right now.

He has every right to be upset about it, even while acknowledging that the play was within the rules.

Sabean's the one who should be criticized here, not Posey. Posey's upset about losing a year of his career over something he doesn't think was necessary, and an argument can certainly be made that it was not necessary. Whether you "sign up" to be a catcher or not is irrelevant to whether he can be upset. Sabean, on the other hand, is acting completely unprofessionally. Executives are and should be held to a higher standard. Acting like he is is ridiculous.

Almost none of them are the direct result of someone else's actions. You can't be upset with anyone if you blow out a knee rounding first. This is different. (...) I'm sure he'll eventually forgive him, but he's got a right to be upset right now.

Almost none?

Almost ALL of them are the result of action by someone else. It's the odd guy who pulls up lame running to first, or wherever. Dozens of catchers and every 2B and SS injured by a slide into 2nd can testify to that. Not to mention every player who has ever collided with someone. Paging Nick Johnson. Collision. Broken femur.

He has absolutely no justification to be upset with Cousins and he should stop whining. And publicly acknowledge that he chose to catch and didn't pay attention to his own manager. Ya know, the guy who says he coached him not to block the plate.

And he should stop acting like a child and return Cousins' phone call.

While I was writing this, you edited your post to add a further trashing of Sabean. I totally agree with that.

But, that still doesn't change the fact that Posey is totally out of line. He was aware of the risks. He chose to catch. He chose to ignore his manager.

Almost none of them are the direct result of someone else's actions. You can't be upset with anyone if you blow out a knee rounding first. This is different. (...) I'm sure he'll eventually forgive him, but he's got a right to be upset right now.

Almost none?

Almost ALL of them are the result of action by someone else. It's the odd guy who pulls up lame running to first, or wherever. Dozens of catchers and every 2B and SS injured by a slide into 2nd can testify to that. Not to mention every player who has ever collided with someone. Paging Nick Johnson. Collision. Broken femur.

I don't have numbers on it, but muscle injuries on pitchers, hitters, and fielders probably make up a much larger percentage of injuries than do collisions.

And the difference is, when Carlos Beltran and Mike Cameron slide into each other going after a ball, neither of them initiated contact, it just happened in the course of them both making a play. Scott Cousins lined Posey up and threw himself, shoulder first, into Posey. That's not the same as an incidental contact on the basepaths, like what happened with Johnson. What Cousins did was in the course of the play, and 100% legal under the rules, but it's not the same as what happened to Johnson.

If he feels Cousins created contact unnecessarily, which at least some people would (and are) argue, then he obviously has a reason to be upset. The fact that he signed up to be a catcher and it's within the rules shouldn't change that. He felt he gave Cousins enough room to slide, and that Cousins decided the better option was to hit him. That seems like a legitimate reason to be upset, considering that he's now out for the year and is certainly worried that Cousins may have irreversibly and negatively impacted his career. I don't blame him for being angry;

The bigger thing for me is that if you feel what Cousins did was so bad, you shouldn't be taking it out on him (Just like we shouldn't have when Nyjer Morgan did a similar thing against Brett Hayes, even though Morgan's a tremendous douche and Cousins seems like a good guy) you should take it up with the rules. Cousins was doing everything he could within the rules to win the game, and when the rules allow players to get a full head of steam and launch themselves into someone, people are going to get hurt. If you don't like that, you should advocate for a rule change or hit Scott Cousins. Taking it to the media and badmouthing him is the wrong way to handle it.

MLB has to discipline Sabean.

And BTW where was all the outrage when JT Snow killed pudge in the NLDS but Pudge held on? No lets protect the star catcher then, or is only lets protect the catcher when someone gets hurt, but other than that its ok to do?

Pudge was standing on top of the plate on the third base side and was looking at JT Snow, ready for the hit, and JT Snow could actually have tagged home plate on his play with the way he went in. Cousins kind of fell on top of home plate after hitting Posey, but he certainly wasn't in any position to tag the plate, and Posey wasn't in a position to really block the plate in the same way.

Snow's hit was far less violent.

But yes, Sabean's a douche for being OK with that play and attacking Cousins. He's absolutely in the wrong here. I think he's the only person who is, but he's doing enough for everyone.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.