Political Compass Test

Entendu

I am not.

Most people in this country are right leaning, when it comes to economic issues, relative to much of the world.

And I don't consider being "libertarian" on social issues by this chart's measures, puts you on the right wing in our current political climate.

It doesn't. The chart treats economic issues as left-right and social issues as up-down. If you're to the right in this chart, it's because your economic beliefs are to the right. It has nothing to do with your social beliefs. I think this type of chart is a better model than the usual left-right line.

It doesn't. The chart treats economic issues as left-right and social issues as up-down. If you're to the right in this chart, it's because your economic beliefs are to the right. It has nothing to do with your social beliefs. I think this type of chart is a better model than the usual left-right line.

No, I know that. I don't know what about my post made it seem like I don't.

I am not.

Most people in this country are right leaning, when it comes to economic issues, relative to much of the world.

And I don't consider being "libertarian" on social issues by this chart's measures, puts you on the right wing in our current political climate.

Indeed... you have to take each topic of economic and social political beliefs apart. Everything negative in respect to each variable measures left, everything positive measures right.

Down and left measures a Democrat, up and right measures a Republican. Up and left measures a very odd person, and down and right measures a Libertarian.

No, I know that. I don't know what about my post made it seem like I don't.

Also, "libertarian" in our society has a strong conservative connotation, however I would expect most liberals to fall under the "libertarian" heading on this.

I disagree. The only reason it may seem so is because Ron Paul is Mr. Libertarian/Republican. In reality, ideologically speaking, it's a pretty split political viewpoint.

Also, "libertarian" in our society has a strong conservative connotation, however I would expect most liberals to fall under the "libertarian" heading on this.

I disagree. The only reason it may seem so is because Ron Paul is Mr. Libertarian/Republican. In reality, ideologically speaking, it's a pretty split political viewpoint.

That's what he's saying.

If it means anything, the quiz has Ron Paul's stances far to the right and a notch above the middle towards the authoritarian side. Obama is to the right and further up the authoritarian side, whereas Bush was farther to the right but not as authoritarian as Obama.

It was just for fun :$

I wonder how they derived the celebrity results - did they take the test as if they were them? And if so, was it based off of campaign policies or actual practice? If the latter, these decisions are exceedingly complex and we rarely get the entire reasoning.

The other option is to just go off of their general perception, of course.

I'd think Michael Moore would be on the second quadrant with, as you put it, the very odd people.

The 1st quadrant represents both socially and economically conservative. Michael Moore is far from that, he's a wild liberal gone loose.

That being said, I wouldn't speak about his economic viewpoints versus his social viewpoints because I don't know how extreme either of them are in particular. I don't keep up with that crazy nutjob, I just know who he is.

• 3 weeks later...

I disagree the the U.S. democratic party is down and left on this chart, I would say it's up and left. Things like the fairness doctrine, affirmative action and gun control are authoritarian in nature. The down on that chart indicates little or no government control of people's lives.

For some reason people equate social issues with just abortion and gay marriage.

I'd say democrats are up and left, republicans are up and right, libertarians are down and right, and down and left does not really exist in the U.S. That's like the mindset of someone like the Dalai Lama.

I also agree with Penguino on how the test sucks. I like the concept but I dont like the questions.

Theres one that says something about "whats best for the largest corporations is whats ultimately best for society" or something down those lines. That's a pretty stupid statement. If you disagree they consider you left and if you agree they consider you right. And theres another question about abstract art not being art at all. I have no idea how that has an relevance to political ideology.

Either way heres mine: ( I didnt know how to paste the image)

The Political Compass

Economic Left/Right: 9.62

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.56