Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Leo Juan Carlos Nunez Oviedo avoids arbritration/signs 6 mil deal

Featured Replies

Excellent trade bait.

 

I'm sure all of the other teams can't wait to nibble on the par pitching that comes with a $6 million contract, immigration, and identity issues.

 

I can't imagine anyone wanting to acquire Leo Nunez from the Marlins.

you shittin me? the Red Sox gave up THE Josh Reddick for a closer. future perrenial all-star Josh Reddick. the market's hot. and obviously the immigration stuff is going to be swept under the rug if they signed him.

Excellent trade bait.

 

I'm sure all of the other teams can't wait to nibble on the par pitching that comes with a $6 million contract, immigration, and identity issues.

 

I can't imagine anyone wanting to acquire Leo Nunez from the Marlins.

 

 

but teams will be fighting to get Juan Carlos Oviedo, amirite?

Like it or not, this is probably less than he would have earned in arbitration.

 

I'm not so sure. If they saved anything, it wasn't much. I've seen some estimates in the $5.8MM-ish range. The visa issues should also work in the Marlins' favor.

I have to figure if they signed him the Visa thing is going to go away, and thus would not deflate his arbitration value. I was seeing 6.5m estimates, which I admit is not much in the scheme of baseball salaries - but arbitration would take time and this leaves the Marlins free to move him the moment he is legally allowed to play.

I have to figure if they signed him the Visa thing is going to go away, and thus would not deflate his arbitration value. I was seeing 6.5m estimates, which I admit is not much in the scheme of baseball salaries - but arbitration would take time and this leaves the Marlins free to move him the moment he is legally allowed to play.

 

I think it's likely that the visa problems would work against Leo's favor in front of a panel of arbiters.

 

Who had him at $6.5MM? Matt Schwartz at MLB Trade Rumors has an estimate of $5.8MM. I can't remember what Lou's estimate was, but I doubt it was over $6MM.

I don't even care about the salary value for this upcoming year. It's quite apparent that the FO doesn't.

 

I doubt this move hinders our ability to sign Cespedes, Fielder, Ugly CF Home Run Celebrations, Dance Teams, or DJs for the upcoming season.

I'm not mad that we brought him back... I'm mad that we brought him back at that price.

 

 

It was already pretty much known that he was getting this much in arbitration. They probably did this to trade him, assuming he can even pitch here in the U.S. next year.

We have a quite strong bullpen right now, at least. Overpriced in some spots, but strong.

 

 

Juan Carlos might actually make it worse.

I have to figure if they signed him the Visa thing is going to go away, and thus would not deflate his arbitration value. I was seeing 6.5m estimates, which I admit is not much in the scheme of baseball salaries - but arbitration would take time and this leaves the Marlins free to move him the moment he is legally allowed to play.

 

I think it's likely that the visa problems would work against Leo's favor in front of a panel of arbiters.

 

Who had him at $6.5MM? Matt Schwartz at MLB Trade Rumors has an estimate of $5.8MM. I can't remember what Lou's estimate was, but I doubt it was over $6MM.

 

I believe it was exactly 6 million.

So let him walk? Why would you commit to that? Nobody is going to want him in the event that he can play, at that price.

 

 

Why not? Teams get pretty stupid for relievers. A team like Baltimore would probably give up something stupid for him. They've done it for years with mediocre relievers.

Teams are still interested in Francisco Cordero who's basically asking for the same salary, if not more. I'm not saying the return would be spectacular, but Leo's trade value is certainly not nothing (...and that would be a double negative...).

I don't even care about the salary value for this upcoming year. It's quite apparent that the FO doesn't.

 

I doubt this move hinders our ability to sign Cespedes, Fielder, Ugly CF Home Run Celebrations, Dance Teams, or DJs for the upcoming season.

 

I think they care. That's why so many deals are backloaded.

Anibal Sanchez still hasn't agreed. That was really the only guy I cared about today...

What happens if both sides don't come to an arbitration agreement and the player isn't offered a 1-year [or more] deal to stay with the team? Surely he can't be a free agent yet ... Or ... is Anibal eligible for that now?

What happens if both sides don't come to an arbitration agreement and the player isn't offered a 1-year [or more] deal to stay with the team? Surely he can't be a free agent yet ... Or ... is Anibal eligible for that now?

 

Then the price is settled with the panel of arbiters.

What happens if both sides don't come to an arbitration agreement and the player isn't offered a 1-year [or more] deal to stay with the team? Surely he can't be a free agent yet ... Or ... is Anibal eligible for that now?

 

Then the price is settled with the panel of arbiters.

Alright, thank ya, sir.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.