Guillen: If Reyes misses time, Hanley still won't play SS

gizmo

I can respect all of that.

Same here, sounds great so far I can't respect any of it, other than attempting to optimize baserunning which likely won't translate into much. It reeks of outdated thinking and 10 million dollars over 4 years.

A player getting himself into scoring position won't translate into much? A player going 1st to 3rd on a single won't translate into much? I disagree.

That's not what I said at all. Players are always going to try and go from 1st to 3rd if possible; they've been told to do that since the minors and probably before. Just because its being "emphasized" more doesn't mean it will increase the speed of the players or their success rates. If anything, it will likely result in a few more bases being gained and more outs being made on the bases, thus translating into a negligible amount of net gain over the course of a season (if there is a gain at all).

I can respect all of that.

Same here, sounds great so far

I can't respect any of it, other than attempting to optimize baserunning which likely won't translate into much. It reeks of outdated thinking and 10 million dollars over 4 years.

We're probably going to set the record for sacrifice bunts in a single season.

Erick, the post above...? And I think many have said that here in the past.

Again, not what I said at all. I am in favor of optimizing baserunning, but simply running more with everybody is not the way to do it. How does "I don't think Ozzie attempt to optimize baserunning will translate into much" translate to "I don't like stolen bases"?

A player getting himself into scoring position won't translate into much? A player going 1st to 3rd on a single won't translate into much? I disagree.

A player getting thrown out trying to get himself into scoring position pretty much negates those advantages. That's the issue.

Run all you want if you're smart about it.

Also, the "It worked in '03, it will work again" argument doesn't hold up to scrutiny. We were 8th in the NL in runs scored in '03 and we were 8th in OBP and OPS. Right where you would expect. For all of our baserunning 'prowess,' we outperformed our offensive fundamentals by a factor of not at all.

Guess you ignored the next post, or hadn't read it yet.

And I'm not the one that said anything about 2003.

BTW In keeping with the title of the thread.....I agree with Ozzie on this one. If Hanley is going to be our 3B, then he is going to play 3B regardless of any circumstances. Boni will do just fine at SS.

Boni will actually do better at SS. I agree completely, makes total sense. Don't give Hanley ANY kind of indication that SS will ever be a part of his life again.

I like this mentality, we need to be aggressive and take advantage of one of this teams biggest strengths: speed. People here thing it's going to be more risk than reward, I disagree. You CAN'T see EVERYTHING in NUMBERS! Giving these guys the green light puts pressure on the pitchers, forces slide steps, and gives every opposing player on the diamond a different thought process defensively. All that pressure will translate to a Marlins advantage. There's a reason it worked in '03 and it will; work again.

Although I do like giving guys the green light that are able to accomplish the deed, it's not so much what I am talking about. I responded to the sacrifice bunts. Alot of folks here don't like that. I don't think most will be real sacrifices, more of a way to utilize their own personal arsenal of ways to get on base either by the IF hit or by an error. And doing it early in the game by the right guys with someone on base sets a tone for later in the game when we need to get someone in scoring position for the big boppers.