April 16, 201214 yr Yes, they do. It's part of their job. which they get paid a sh*tload of money to do. And "..." you know I mean about explaining the key play. And Mike, the Cardinals were criticized for not addressing the media after Game 2. When you're a key player and you make a key play, good or bad, the media is going to be at your locker waiting after the game. Hiding from journalists, who are on tight deadlines because you're embarrassed only makes it look worse for the player. And the writers don't appreciate it. I'm pretty sure the bosses of the journalists didn't say, "hey, Morrison's gonna drop a ball in the ninth inning, make sure to get a quote from him about that exact situation." Their job is to get an article on the team with quotes from whoever about the game. Morrison knows he f***ed up. Does he have to talk to the media about it? No. Everyone else knows he f***ed up, too. What exactly is he gonna say? "I misjudged the path and I dropped the ball" isn't exactly a great quote.
April 16, 201214 yr Not trying to get into it really but the media was the ones reporting that the cards didn't speak to the media and turned it negative. That's kinda biased situation really.
April 16, 201214 yr Yes, they do. It's part of their job. which they get paid a sh*tload of money to do. And "..." you know I mean about explaining the key play. And Mike, the Cardinals were criticized for not addressing the media after Game 2. When you're a key player and you make a key play, good or bad, the media is going to be at your locker waiting after the game. Hiding from journalists, who are on tight deadlines because you're embarrassed only makes it look worse for the player. And the writers don't appreciate it. Why does LoMo have to appease the writers? Speaking to them isn't part of his job; it's something players usually do. However, when a player doesn't do it, he's totally within his rights. They aren't going to ask anything that isn't stupid, anyway. All that it's going to do is maybe give them an extra line or two about what happened from LoMo's perspective, but that isn't LoMo's problem. I don't think he needs to do anyone any favors. If he were to, for example, say something that he didn't mean or let slip out, would those same writers respect his request for it not to be included in their piece? Probably not. Everyone's looking out for themselves. He doesn't owe them anything, just like they don't owe him anything.
April 16, 201214 yr I think that reporters are basically surrogates of the fans and the general public, both of whom generally want to be informed. I think that speaking to reporters should be more than just a simple courtesy. In Morrison's case, I am actually curious to see if he would own up to the blunder or try to make some excuse--as Rich and Tommy were doing--about the wind being a factor. I'd also wager that if Morrison had issued a quote on the incident, it would have been referenced and discussed here to at least some extent. I think there is an overall desire to be informed on such things.
April 16, 201214 yr Miami herald actually had an article with a quote from Morrison. Can't link it from the phone. Title is Cora on defense.
April 16, 201214 yr Here it is: -- Logan Morrison said he just plain panicked on the routine fly he dropped, which allowed the go-ahead run to score. "I just misjudged the flight of the ball, and by the time I realized I had overrun it, I just panicked to make a play, and it just hit me in the heel of the glove." Because the wind was howling in through both the windows in left and Clevelander bar that is positioned behind the left find wall, Morrison said he was playing shallow. But that corrective measure did him no good. "I thought he hit it pretty good, but I was playing pretty shallow knowing the wind was howling in. So when he got it, I kind of turned the wrong way to start. (The ball) started one way and came back this way and I go "(expletive)." I was, like, 'I just (expletive) the game up for my team.' I'll be the goat." http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_bytes/2012/04/cora-on-defense-we-have-to-clean-it-up.html I think he might have said this on Sunday, but I'm glad he owned up to it. Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_bytes/2012/04/cora-on-defense-we-have-to-clean-it-up.html#storylink=cpy
April 16, 201214 yr I think he's fine in LF, he need experience out there. He hasn't had enough. LF is like taking a poop, once you know how to do it you can do it for life. Tell that to Adam Dunn.
April 16, 201214 yr What exactly is he gonna say? "I misjudged the path and I dropped the ball" isn't exactly a great quote. "I thought he hit it pretty good, but I was playing pretty shallow knowing the wind was howling in. So when he got it, I kind of turned the wrong way to start. (The ball) started one way and came back this way and I go "(expletive)." I was, like, 'I just (expletive) the game up for my team.' I'll be the goat." *shrug* Close enough.
April 16, 201214 yr I think he's fine in LF, he need experience out there. He hasn't had enough. LF is like taking a poop, once you know how to do it you can do it for life. Tell that to Adam Dunn. Adam Dunn isn't physically fit to play LF anymore, he's like that cop who kept getting bigger and bigger and now can't jump a fence to chase a perp. Dunn's fine at 1B and DH at this stage of his career. I'm sure when he plays LF in interleague he'll be average, or slightly below.... which isn't where LOMO is right now.
April 16, 201214 yr I think he's fine in LF, he need experience out there. He hasn't had enough. LF is like taking a poop, once you know how to do it you can do it for life. Tell that to Adam Dunn. Adam Dunn isn't physically fit to play LF anymore, he's like that cop who kept getting bigger and bigger and now can't jump a fence to chase a perp. Dunn's fine at 1B and DH at this stage of his career. I'm sure when he plays LF in interleague he'll be average, or slightly below.... which isn't where LOMO is right now. He's horrible at 1B too. If the guy can't hit, he's a useless player to have on your team. And he's been that way for the entirety of his career.
April 16, 201214 yr I think he's fine in LF, he need experience out there. He hasn't had enough. LF is like taking a poop, once you know how to do it you can do it for life. Tell that to Adam Dunn. Adam Dunn isn't physically fit to play LF anymore, he's like that cop who kept getting bigger and bigger and now can't jump a fence to chase a perp. Dunn's fine at 1B and DH at this stage of his career. I'm sure when he plays LF in interleague he'll be average, or slightly below.... which isn't where LOMO is right now. He's horrible at 1B too. If the guy can't hit, he's a useless player to have on your team. And he's been that way for the entirety of his career. I refuse to be drawn into one of the frequent pissing matches you and others prefer to incite.
April 16, 201214 yr Pick any respectable defensive metric you want; he's a horrific 1st baseman. He was a horrific 1st baseman 6 years ago, even. Whether or not you want to be part of a "pissing match[]" Adam Dunn is nowhere near an average 1B or LF at this point in his career, if he ever was.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.