August 23, 201214 yr I mean it's like beating a dead horse here but isn't it interesting that being gay, a supposed sin, is one of the church's #1 issues with society? A 'sin' that ultimately effects nobody but the individual? Y'know... instead of the hundreds of sins that occur on a daily basis that effect the lives of others? Talk about being afraid of gay people...
August 23, 201214 yr There is nothing in the Bible that talks about interracial marriage being wrong, if you think that you're taking the Bible out of context. It does say that a virgin who is raped outside of a city has to marry the man who did it, provided that he pays a fee to her father. Would you like to see that codified into law? Oh, it also says that if a woman says she is a virgin upon marriage and her husband says she isn't, her mother and father have to produce proof that she was a virgin, or the men of town have to stone her for bringing shame upon her father's house. Should the government get involved in the woman's murder, or can we handle this as a mob? "You must purge the evil from among you." It was custom back then to make a man who raped a young girl get married to her. More emphasis was put on the punishment of the man not being able to chose who he wanted to be with because he did not have self control. He was also not allowed to get divorced. Understand that losing your virginity before marriage was not only looked down upon but also not really an option and lying was punished accordingly with stricter laws (obviously) than we have today. It was also largely a culture thing in that time. Romans 8 talks about the Law of Moses (deuteronomy, and all of the above) not being able to save us as humans because of our sinful nature thus God sent Christ to die for our sins, and would later say "sin no more" (New testament) It is very easy for the Bible to be questioned if it's taken out of context because of how society has changed from the old testament to today. This is also why if you're really interested in knowing the truth that you read the whole Bible and not pick bits and pieces, it's meant to be read as a book and not verse by verse.Read the bible. You haven't. Don't lie. I've read it 3 times in its entirety and many more times in bible study and random classes. Its a scary book. Why do you think it is taught in bits and pieces? Hint...because people just coming into the religion would run away if they took the time to read on their own. They need to be fully engulfed to get passed the BS. If you had read the Bible in it's entirely, there would be a lot more understanding on your part. So no, I don't believe you've read it, but thats neither here nor there. I already explained above that if the Bible is taken out in bits and pieces by someone who doesn't understand what Christianity is, it won't make sense. I mean it's like beating a dead horse here but isn't it interesting that being gay, a supposed sin, is one of the church's #1 issues with society? A 'sin' that ultimately effects nobody but the individual? Y'know... instead of the hundreds of sins that occur on a daily basis that effect the lives of others? Talk about being afraid of gay people... I'm beating a dead horse here but it doesn't effect just the individual, step outside of the individuals perspective and look at it from a family stand point and other people that might be involved. It won't make sense unless you understand my belief in the Bible though. I don't speak for the church nor do I believe they target gays more than other sins, but I believe the act of being gay and not choosing to change your ways is a sin, because the concept of Christianity says it is. The concept of Christianity also basis a large emphasis on traditional marriage as ordained by God or sexual relations if you will in the story of Adam and Eve. It's not like this is some foreign concept that everyone has some weird problem with all of a sudden. For the record I don't hate gays or even choose to avoid them, you must first relate to someone to understand them, so from my belief what good is it doing if hate their life choices. Hate the sin, love the sinner, it's a simple concept. Also note it's not just religious organizations who are against the idea of gay marriage there are a lot of what I suppose you would term "good people" without a religious backing that don't agree with it as well.
August 23, 201214 yr Those who give a sh*t about gay marriage who do not have a religious background are some of the worst people in the world. There's zero reason care what someone else is doing. People who have faith at least can justify their negativity towards the subject through their faith. Others who reject it without any faith or religious background have zero justifiable means (even if you're counting faith as justifiable...).
August 23, 201214 yr "I don't speak for the church nor do I believe they target gays more than other sins." O RLY owl.gif
August 23, 201214 yr Author Those who give a sh*t about gay marriage who do not have a religious background are some of the worst people in the world. There's zero reason care what someone else is doing. People who have faith at least can justify their negativity towards the subject through their faith. Others who reject it without any faith or religious background have zero justifiable means (even if you're counting faith as justifiable...). Eh, I'm not sure that saying "I feel that it contributes to the tearing down of the fabric of society" or whatever is made any more valid by adding "because it's in this book."
August 23, 201214 yr Most of the laws in the bible are confusing to modern people because of context, translation error and era. Those laws were for a theocracy in an ancient era. We live in the modern era and with a secular government. I would not remain in a Synagogue that performed same-sex marriages. That does not mean that I do not think that same-sex couples should be prevented from getting married, just that I do not believe my religion should support or sanctify it. I also do not follow the teachings of Mohammed. That does not mean that I think people should not be Islamic. Ditto for Christianity, etc. My religion does not and should not dictate somebody else's behavior and rights.
August 23, 201214 yr Those who give a sh*t about gay marriage who do not have a religious background are some of the worst people in the world. There's zero reason care what someone else is doing. People who have faith at least can justify their negativity towards the subject through their faith. Others who reject it without any faith or religious background have zero justifiable means (even if you're counting faith as justifiable...). Eh, I'm not sure that saying "I feel that it contributes to the tearing down of the fabric of society" or whatever is made any more valid by adding "because it's in this book." Not my point. My point was that biblical justification, however stupid, is my respect for allowing people to have the freedom of religion. Objecting it without religion is almost the equivalent of just being a flat out hypocrite. You have no beliefs or interests outside of yourself.
September 1, 201214 yr Ok so lets think about this if you were gay and you were mistreated and bullied and wondered why and asked me, but you said couldn't change it because it was how you were born. (Using Dr. Beinfest theory of being born gay) I then ask why anyone would do something that could get them sent to jail and hated by everyone? Think Jerry Sandusky. Well, if they are both sexually attracted to things, then logic would follow that they are both born that way. So really Jerry Sandusky couldn't do anything about it right? It's a choice.
September 1, 201214 yr Those who give a sh*t about gay marriage who do not have a religious background are some of the worst people in the world. There's zero reason care what someone else is doing. People who have faith at least can justify their negativity towards the subject through their faith. Others who reject it without any faith or religious background have zero justifiable means (even if you're counting faith as justifiable...). Eh, I'm not sure that saying "I feel that it contributes to the tearing down of the fabric of society" or whatever is made any more valid by adding "because it's in this book." Sure it is, a lot of people who aren't Christians, have terrible lifestyles and don't care because heck it's who they are, why should they change. The Bible talks all about treating others with respect and being kind to people regardless of what they do to you. Why should I be nice outside of that, if the goal is to get a great job and make more money than you why the heck would I care about you or what happens to you, my goal is to get to the top faster than anyone. Outside of believing in Christ and the Word of God, only I matter in essence. But yea there are just "good" people, who chose to do the right thing, I understand that. To say it doesn't make it any more valid because it's in a book that people believe is the Word of God though is silly. It makes it more valid to me.
September 1, 201214 yr (Using Dr. Beinfest theory of being born gay) Theory? Are you kidding me? What kind of degree do you have, again? Well, I don't think it matters even if you did have one, because that's honestly one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. The 'theory' that you're born gay has factual evidence in support. What, do you think people just want to grow up in oppression, depression, and misery? Think Jerry Sandusky. Oh great. I've seen this crap before. You're really about to equate homosexuality to pedophilia and sexual abuse. Well, if they are both sexually attracted to things, then logic would follow that they are both born that way. So really Jerry Sandusky couldn't do anything about it right? And you just did that. Great. May I tell you that homosexuality is a two-way game? Pedophilia is abuse. Sexual abuse is... abuse. Your 'choice' logic is as simple as me saying 'your attraction to women is a choice'. It's a choice. Get bent.
September 1, 201214 yr There are a few fallacies in your logic. I'll list them and see if you can understand: 1: That anyone here is making the argument that, if someone is born in a way, it must be legal, no matter what that thing is. 2: That anyone here thinks that people are not accountable for their own actions as a result of their nature. 3: That violently raping children is the equivalent to consensual sex with an adult who happens to have the same genitalia as you.
September 1, 201214 yr Why should I be nice outside of that, if the goal is to get a great job and make more money than you why the heck would I care about you or what happens to you, my goal is to get to the top faster than anyone. Outside of believing in Christ and the Word of God, only I matter in essence. But yea there are just "good" people, who chose to do the right thing, I understand that. To say it doesn't make it any more valid because it's in a book that people believe is the Word of God though is silly. It makes it more valid to me. This shows an unsurprisingly predictable small-minded view towards the nature of humanity. Do some research on the concept of reciprocal altruism and how it is theorized to relate to the evolution of humanity.
September 1, 201214 yr There are a few fallacies in your logic. I'll list them and see if you can understand: 1: That anyone here is making the argument that, if someone is born in a way, it must be legal, no matter what that thing is. 2: That anyone here thinks that people are not accountable for their own actions as a result of their nature. 3: That violently raping children is the equivalent to consensual sex with an adult who happens to have the same genitalia as you.
September 2, 201214 yr Ok so lets think about this if you were gay and you were mistreated and bullied and wondered why and asked me, but you said couldn't change it because it was how you were born. (Using Dr. Beinfest theory of being born gay) I then ask why anyone would do something that could get them sent to jail and hated by everyone? Think Jerry Sandusky. Well, if they are both sexually attracted to things, then logic would follow that they are both born that way. So really Jerry Sandusky couldn't do anything about it right? It's a choice. Wow.
September 2, 201214 yr Author Squall's post is what I'm talking about. If we can't find reason to be good and decent and helpful to our fellow man without religion instructing us to do so then we suck as a species.
September 2, 201214 yr Sorry if I didn't explain what I meant, I re-read it and it sounded wrong. I'm not saying you can't be a good person without religion but for me it makes me a better person believing in Christ and believing in the Word of God and what it says.
September 2, 201214 yr and here I thought you were going to apologize for the Sandusky comment and the 'it's a choice' comment. Nope. You're apologizing for saying that you can't be a good person without religion.
September 3, 201214 yr I have to say this has somehow turned off into the worst thread I've ever seen.
September 4, 201214 yr I was thinking the same thing. But I still liked it because it's true. I mean what can anyone possibly contribute that hasn't been stated (and ignored by the opposition) several times over?
September 4, 201214 yr Author I have to say this has somehow turned off into the worst thread I've ever seen. Neil Armstrong would like a word.
September 4, 201214 yr I have to say this has somehow turned off into the worst thread I've ever seen. Neil Armstrong would like a word. Bahahaha.
September 4, 201214 yr You left out Michael Jackson. And U2. Chuck Norris. It doesn't matter if he was in the thread, he permitted you to have it.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.