Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Chick-fil-a dilemma

Featured Replies

I like Chick-fil-a quite a lot, and my wife has now sworn them off since the president of the company recently came out and stated (basically) that their company is against gay marriage. This may or may not mean that my wife secretly wants to gay-marry another woman, but I digress...

 

So this thread is not so much a debate on whether you're for or against gay marriage (or pro-family if that term works better for you), that's probably best left to another thread...

 

but I think it's an interesting topic to think about, if you owned a business, whether to come out (no pun intended) and place your personal views up front, particularly on an issue like this one.

 

You have to imagine you're going to suffer a certain % of customers no longer coming to your store. Yes, theoretically you'll also get some support.. but I'm unsure whether people who already shop/eat there are going to come even more frequently... there's still only so many meals and disposable income.

 

 

On one hand, most people know that Chick-fil-a is pretty christian focused business already... but I think something like this would be a tipping point for some.

 

Just some food for thought.

I think it's wrong for Chick-Fil-A to be so openly anti-gay in their stance. Obviously rerestaurant chains shouldn't be getting themselves in political hot topics, especially ones as controversial as this one.

 

However, their food is delicious, so I'll ignore what the people upstairs say.

They weren't hateful in any way. They are allowed to have an opinion. It may not be considered good business practice to get involved in politics, but they also are still closed on Sundays, yet they are one of the most successful restaurants around. None of us are in a position to be giving their management advice on how to run a business. They do more, and better business in 6 days than most do in 7.

Ultimately, if you don't like their stance on it, go "have it your way" at McDonald's.

There is a distinction between the CEO of a business expressing his religious-based opinion and his company discriminating against persons for those reasons. For example, if CFA were to turn aside customers or refuse employment to people based upon sexual orientation then that would be beyond.

There is a distinction between the CEO of a business expressing his religious-based opinion and his company discriminating against persons for those reasons. For example, if CFA were to turn aside customers or refuse employment to people based upon sexual orientation then that would be beyond.

 

Correct. They didnt say they wouldnt serve gays, or they werent welcome. He simply said that he doesnt agree with the lifestyle. An opinion that he is entitled to have. I cant believe that this is being blown up the way it has...

Correct. They didnt say they wouldnt serve gays, or they werent welcome. He simply said that he doesnt agree with the lifestyle. An opinion that he is entitled to have. I cant believe that this is being blown up the way it has...

 

 

The controversy is more about the fact that the company actively contributes money to organizations that work against gay rights.

Correct. They didnt say they wouldnt serve gays, or they werent welcome. He simply said that he doesnt agree with the lifestyle. An opinion that he is entitled to have. I cant believe that this is being blown up the way it has...

 

 

The controversy is more about the fact that the company actively contributes money to organizations that work against gay rights.

Cool...which they're entitled to do. Don't like it...don't go there.

I'm strongly supportive of gay rights; I also eat at Chick Fil A.

 

I figure, at this point, most companies in America are guilty of varying levels of grossness, so it's awfully tough to take a principled stand and be consistent about it.

Is Chick Fil A franchised or all corporate?

 

I f***ing hate going in there but sometimes you really want fried chicken...

 

Franchised. They are very strict about their franchise owners though. I believe you have to work in management for the company before you own one. I have been told that they send you to school to learn their business style and expectations as well.

The service is excellent. The food is excellent. The staff is friendly. The restaurants are clean. They are the only such chain that can make those claims and prove it.

Just like i don't get Nabisco coming out in support of gays I don't get this. Why lose some costumers. At the same time i wonder if either of them really even feel it when it comes to their bottom line.

 

FWIW they have never screwed up my order. They're always friendly and the place is always clean.

The service is excellent. The food is excellent. The staff is friendly. The restaurants are clean. They are the only such chain that can make those claims and prove it.

 

 

How can you be so sure that those qualities are consistent? I've seen those at McDonalds, too.

 

Just like i don't get Nabisco coming out in support of gays I don't get this. Why lose some costumers. At the same time i wonder if either of them really even feel it when it comes to their bottom line.

 

FWIW they have never screwed up my order. They're always friendly and the place is always clean.

 

 

The difference is that nabisco is in support of someone, and chick fil a is in opposition to someone. I sorry but regardless of your political viewpoints, that much must be apparent. Chick Fil A is an aggressor in this situation, whereas Nabisco is a defender.

Which is weak. There's one side asking for treatment of all people equally, and there's another side asking for unequal treatment. Call it biased, call it whatever you want. No matter what way you rephrase it, that's fact.

The service is excellent. The food is excellent. The staff is friendly. The restaurants are clean. They are the only such chain that can make those claims and prove it.

 

 

How can you be so sure that those qualities are consistent? I've seen those at McDonalds, too.

 

Because I have eaten at more than a dozen free-standing CFA restaurants and an untold multitude of mall locations and they are consistent. I haven't actually seen those qualities at a McDonalds in years.

  • Author

The service is excellent. The food is excellent. The staff is friendly. The restaurants are clean. They are the only such chain that can make those claims and prove it.

 

 

don't think they're the only ones, but agreed on those points, the service is terrific.

 

but still, I just question what's the need to make the statements? At the very least you probably want to qualify stuff like that, wrap it around, "these are my own personal views and we certainly respect the rights of others and staff and customers, blah blah blah..." And no one's suggesting they're discriminating in hiring or refusing to serve people, that would of course be another story.

 

standing up for your ideals, i understand it. but i just don't get this from a business perspective. why risk alienating customers when there's no need?

I'm strongly supportive of gay rights; I also eat at Chick Fil A.

 

I figure, at this point, most companies in America are guilty of varying levels of grossness, so it's awfully tough to take a principled stand and be consistent about it.

 

I don't necessarily agree here. While it is most likely the case that most companies in America are guilty of what any of us individually consider varying levels of grossness, it is nonetheless true that you should treat the situation differently when you have concrete evidence. In fact, I believe that is the source of the renewed angst against them; it was always supposed that they had such views, but now there is unqualified, indisputable proof, which changes things.

In Business Associations, we learn that a CEO/officer/company can basically make whatever decisions it wants without liability to shareholders, unless you are dumb enough to admit your [poor] rational. There's a strong presumption in favor of corporate decisionmaking, which is called the Business Judgment Rule.

 

I wonder if he hasn't put Chick Fil A in a position here where they could be vulnerable to legal action, for example where shareholders allege they lost value due to the company's donations and admissions.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.