Yelich among 4 cuts

Admin

I said this the other day but the casual fan would probably prefer to see Juan Pierre in LF because he has heart.

While you're 100% right, this is also why I think "the casual fan" shouldn't be trusted with their opinions on baseball decisions.

Like when the trade happened with Toronto and I saw some fool on the local news say "they got rid of their five BEST players."

I said this the other day but the casual fan would probably prefer to see Juan Pierre in LF because he has heart.

While you're 100% right, this is also why I think "the casual fan" shouldn't be trusted with their opinions on baseball decisions.

Like when the trade happened with Toronto and I saw some fool on the local news say "they got rid of their five BEST players."Wait, are you saying that the Marlins have someone BETTER than John Buck?

Yelich Spring Stats:

G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB OppQual

22 51 44 13 16 3 1 5 14 0 1 6 7 .364 .451 .818 1.269 36 8.6

Opponent quality scale [OppQual]:

10 = MLB

8 = AAA

7 = AA

5 = A+

4 = A

1.5-3 = Rookie ball

1 = relates to pitchers only ["opposing batter is a pitcher"]

So, basically with that final stat, Yelich was hitting above AAA level pitching for the most part.

barring injury, I still think he makes a late appearance in June and puts up these numbers:

.265 AVG | .320 OBP | .415 SLG in the MLB this season, which would be very good for his rookie campaign.

I don't see him hitting that far under .300. I understand he hasn't played a pitch above A+ ball, but still, with the stats shown above, he was hitting .364 with AAA+ quality pitching, for the most part. At least .290, plus at no level has he hit under .300 yet. [Just 2 full seasons, but .312 and .330 is pretty telling].

I wouldn't weigh too much on that OppQual stat. I haven't actually seen the actual formula yet so I'm not sure how reliable it is. It's also worth noting that in spring training a hitter might be facing big league pitchers but not might actually be seeing big league pitching. These are exhibition games so pitchers are experimenting and might not be closely adhering to scouting reports. Yelich wasn't in an environment where opposing pitchers were actively seeking to figure him out.

And, of course, the sample size is tiny.

barring injury, I still think he makes a late appearance in June and puts up these numbers:

.265 AVG | .320 OBP | .415 SLG in the MLB this season, which would be very good for his rookie campaign.

I don't see him hitting that far under .300. I understand he hasn't played a pitch above A+ ball, but still, with the stats shown above, he was hitting .364 with AAA+ quality pitching, for the most part. At least .290, plus at no level has he hit under .300 yet. [Just 2 full seasons, but .312 and .330 is pretty telling].

Agreed. I wouldn't expect to see too much power this year, but if he gets 300 ab's I would expect to see something like .290/.360/.420 with maybe 5-10 HR's, 30-40 RBI, etc.

I wouldn't weigh too much on that OppQual stat. I haven't actually seen the actual formula yet so I'm not sure how reliable it is. It's also worth noting that in spring training a hitter might be facing big league pitchers but not might actually be seeing big league pitching. These are exhibition games so pitchers are experimenting and might not be closely adhering to scouting reports. Yelich wasn't in an environment where opposing pitchers were actively seeking to figure him out.

And, of course, the sample size is tiny.

Exactly - in spring training it's more about "me" and less about "you" ..... everyone is focused on what they need to do to either get ready for the season or just make the club .... for established guys who are secure in their place and don't need stats, many just try to get their body right, get back into the grind, see if some of their adjustments can translate, etc ........ with pitchers, many are trying to get stretched out, work on locating, get comfortable with their velocity and tweak secondary pitches

Just because the name on the jersey is legit and you are facing them - it's not the same as facing them under the bright lights, with some kind of scouting report, playing true situational baseball where they attempt to use their strengths to make you beat them with your weakness

That isn't to discount all of ST success or say that top line guys can't be a difficult matchup even in ST, but it's a world different

Not to mention that the mark of a professional is over the long run, how do they adjust to the adjustments to be consistent over time

That's one thing that I always liked about Stanton - it seems like he'll have streaks where teams adjust to him and attack certain points and it works for a stretch, but he keeps working and adjusting and limits the effectiveness of that adjustment ....... I'm excited to watch Yelich come up at some point, hopefully this June and see if he can do it at the major league level .... Seems for the most part guys at the lower level haven't really gotten over on him for any prolonged stretch