June 2, 201313 yr If we're going to have a troll on the boards I'd rather it be Old Timer. He was more comical and actually believed the shit he was saying.
June 2, 201313 yr If we're going to have a troll on the boards I'd rather it be Old Timer. He was more comical and actually believed the s*** he was saying. Could this clown believe it too?
June 2, 201313 yr Author The more you walk, the less you hit. The more aggressive your swings are the more line drives you hit and home runs. The more you walk the less aggressive your swings are. Can't have it both ways and I prefer line drives for sure. Coghlan should play third base like I have been saying all this time. I don't understand how you, Wild Card, and Anon can possibly believe this nonsense. Joey Votto has the highest walk rate in baseball and yet he also has the second highest line drive rate. Being more aggressive at the plate does nothing to produce a higher line drive percentage. Or vice versa. That's purely retarded thinking. I think Joey Votto is the exception to the rule. I just believe that if you tend to be more aggressive at the plate, you're going to put the ball IN PLAY more often. Coghlan has always been a gap-to-gap line drive hitter, and the more aggressive he is the more that's going to probably happen. For the past year or so he has been making plenty of contact, but none of it was GOOD contact. Not that contact % is coming to fruition and he's living up to his ability. Believe me, I would like to see Coghs get that patience he had in '09 and before BACK and add some walks to the line drives as well. But that's what superb players like Votto and Coghs of '09 can do, not the average bear.
June 2, 201313 yr I just believe that if you tend to be more aggressive at the plate, you're going to put the ball IN PLAY more often. based on this sentence, i don't think you know what LD% is (even though it's already been defined in this thread).
June 2, 201313 yr I just believe that if you tend to be more aggressive at the plate, you're going to put the ball IN PLAY more often. Please explain why putting the ball in play more often will result in more line drives as opposed to fly balls or ground balls. Neither you or Anonymous have been able to answer this.
June 2, 201313 yr Is LD% the fraction of total PA or balls in play that is line drives? If it's the former, then Anon has a point. If it's the latter, then he doesn't have much of one, if at all. (If it's related to AB, then Anon also doesn't.) It's the latter. LD% s the percentage of batted balls (balls in play) that are line drives. That's why what he's saying makes zero sense. He'll never admit it, though. No, I knew that. FanGraphs does a good job of explaining it. I'm pretty sure you have no idea what mystikol said, btw. But you saw a chance to say I'm wrong and decided to piggy back off his post.
June 2, 201313 yr Is LD% the fraction of total PA or balls in play that is line drives? If it's the former, then Anon has a point. If it's the latter, then he doesn't have much of one, if at all. (If it's related to AB, then Anon also doesn't.) It's the latter. LD% s the percentage of batted balls (balls in play) that are line drives. That's why what he's saying makes zero sense. He'll never admit it, though. No, I knew that. FanGraphs does a good job of explaining it. I'm pretty sure you have no idea what mystikol said, btw. But you saw a chance to say I'm wrong and decided to piggy back off his post. I think he understood it pretty well actually. He's right about this.
June 2, 201313 yr The more you walk, the less you hit. The more aggressive your swings are the more line drives you hit and home runs. The more you walk the less aggressive your swings are. Can't have it both ways and I prefer line drives for sure. Coghlan should play third base like I have been saying all this time. I don't understand how you, Wild Card, and Anon can possibly believe this nonsense. Joey Votto has the highest walk rate in baseball and yet he also has the second highest line drive rate. Being more aggressive at the plate does nothing to produce a higher line drive percentage. Or vice versa. That's purely retarded thinking. It's the only logical solution to what's happening to COGHLAN. Again, we're talking about Coghlan here. I already said this may not be the case for all players. You said he's being more aggressive because his walk rate is down. Being more aggressive seems to be helping him make more contact and produce more line drives.
June 2, 201313 yr I just believe that if you tend to be more aggressive at the plate, you're going to put the ball IN PLAY more often. Please explain why putting the ball in play more often will result in more line drives as opposed to fly balls or ground balls. Neither you or Anonymous have been able to answer this. Again, it always doesn't. But that seems to be the case for Coghlan here.
June 2, 201313 yr Barry Bonds also led the league in walks. I guess he was a worthless player. No dont put words on my mouth. Barry bonds is probably the 5th or 6th best player of all time and he just happened to walk alot and it's a shame that he won't be in the hall of fame because voters are stupid. Half of his walks are intentional he had no choice.
June 2, 201313 yr Is LD% the fraction of total PA or balls in play that is line drives? If it's the former, then Anon has a point. If it's the latter, then he doesn't have much of one, if at all. (If it's related to AB, then Anon also doesn't.) It's the latter. LD% s the percentage of batted balls (balls in play) that are line drives. That's why what he's saying makes zero sense. He'll never admit it, though. No, I knew that. FanGraphs does a good job of explaining it. I'm pretty sure you have no idea what mystikol said, btw. But you saw a chance to say I'm wrong and decided to piggy back off his post. I think he understood it pretty well actually. He's right about this. I disagree.
June 2, 201313 yr I'm going to do what I should i have done a while ago and bow out. It's obvious this isn't going anywhere and it's pointless to keep this going. Wild Card, I suggest you do the same.
June 2, 201313 yr voters arent stupid. they just choose not to reward someone for injecting bull testosterone into his ass. he was playing a hall of fame career before that. it was quite clear he didn't have natural 70 home run power. he barely had 40 home run power without enhancements
June 2, 201313 yr Barry Bonds also led the league in walks. I guess he was a worthless player. No dont put words on my mouth. Barry bonds is probably the 5th or 6th best player of all time and he just happened to walk alot and it's a shame that he won't be in the hall of fame because voters are stupid. Half of his walks are intentional he had no choice. Yeah, but good hitters tend to walk a lot more in modern baseball. Also, scoring runs is important, and it doesn't matter who scores runs. Your middle of the line up guys are actually more likely to score more runs than your top of the line up guys. Miguel Cabrera, Joey Votto, and and Carlos Gonzalez all currently lead in runs scored. Part of this is hitting home runs, doubles, whatever. But a big part is simply getting on base and that includes walks.
June 2, 201313 yr voters arent stupid. they just choose not to reward someone for injecting bull testosterone into his ass. he was playing a hall of fame career before that. it was quite clear he didn't have natural 70 home run power. he barely had 40 home run power without enhancements What about all the pitchers using steroids at the time or why about all the players who used peds that were aaaa career players it isn't pixxie dust that makes you fly for crying out loud. Bonds should be in the hall of fame no doubt. You will argue with everything i say and probably feel the same way but want to annoy me. Also it has never been PROVEN that bonds used steroids. Race factors in too big time if he was white nobody would question how great he is.
June 2, 201313 yr The more you walk, the less you hit. The more aggressive your swings are the more line drives you hit and home runs. The more you walk the less aggressive your swings are. Can't have it both ways and I prefer line drives for sure. Coghlan should play third base like I have been saying all this time. I don't understand how you, Wild Card, and Anon can possibly believe this nonsense. Joey Votto has the highest walk rate in baseball and yet he also has the second highest line drive rate. Being more aggressive at the plate does nothing to produce a higher line drive percentage. Or vice versa. That's purely retarded thinking. It's the only logical solution to what's happening to COGHLAN. Again, we're talking about Coghlan here. I already said this may not be the case for all players. You said he's being more aggressive because his walk rate is down. Being more aggressive seems to be helping him make more contact and produce more line drives. That still doesn't answer the question. His walk rate has been pretty constant this season (even when he was struggling). How do you account for the super low LD% in April when his walk rate was roughly the same as it's been over the hot streak (when the LD% is way above average)? I can be stubborn at times, I admit, but you are taking things to a whole new level here.
June 2, 201313 yr i would say his head growing two sizes, his physique going from daryl strawberry to lou ferigno over the course of an offseason, and hitting more home runs in one season than he ever hit in two combined is pretty compelling evidence. i argue with the things you say because the things you say are unintelligent
June 3, 201313 yr Author I just believe that if you tend to be more aggressive at the plate, you're going to put the ball IN PLAY more often. Please explain why putting the ball in play more often will result in more line drives as opposed to fly balls or ground balls. Neither you or Anonymous have been able to answer this. It's pretty easy for you to delete the rest of my post. I suggested that Coghlan has always had a knack for making contact. But there is a difference between simply getting the bat on the ball and squaring up on the ball and swinging with a line drive plane through the ball. The more aggressive you are, the more contact you're making, eventually you're going to start making GOOD contact on the ball (good = LINE DRIVES). As anonymous said, I'm going to bow out here as I guess it's just difficult to explain our opinions without BABlahblah stats. If you watch baseball, played baseball, I feel like you should have some kind of a grasp of what we're trying explain, at the very least.
June 3, 201313 yr Author The more you walk, the less you hit. The more aggressive your swings are the more line drives you hit and home runs. The more you walk the less aggressive your swings are. Can't have it both ways and I prefer line drives for sure. Coghlan should play third base like I have been saying all this time. I don't understand how you, Wild Card, and Anon can possibly believe this nonsense. Joey Votto has the highest walk rate in baseball and yet he also has the second highest line drive rate. Being more aggressive at the plate does nothing to produce a higher line drive percentage. Or vice versa. That's purely retarded thinking. It's the only logical solution to what's happening to COGHLAN. Again, we're talking about Coghlan here. I already said this may not be the case for all players. You said he's being more aggressive because his walk rate is down. Being more aggressive seems to be helping him make more contact and produce more line drives. That still doesn't answer the question. His walk rate has been pretty constant this season (even when he was struggling). How do you account for the super low LD% in April when his walk rate was roughly the same as it's been over the hot streak (when the LD% is way above average)? I can be stubborn at times, I admit, but you are taking things to a whole new level here. He's always made contact. Now he's making better contact. It's really pretty simple...
June 3, 201313 yr I just believe that if you tend to be more aggressive at the plate, you're going to put the ball IN PLAY more often. Please explain why putting the ball in play more often will result in more line drives as opposed to fly balls or ground balls. Neither you or Anonymous have been able to answer this. It's pretty easy for you to delete the rest of my post. I suggested that Coghlan has always had a knack for making contact. But there is a difference between simply getting the bat on the ball and squaring up on the ball and swinging with a line drive plane through the ball. The more aggressive you are, the more contact you're making, eventually you're going to start making GOOD contact on the ball (good = LINE DRIVES). As anonymous said, I'm going to bow out here as I guess it's just difficult to explain our opinions without BABlahblah stats. If you watch baseball, played baseball, I feel like you should have some kind of a grasp of what we're trying explain, at the very least. Glad to see that some people are able to talk here without using some obscure stat that doesn't really tell you ANYTHING about a player's abilities.
June 3, 201313 yr Being aggressive has nothing to do with hitting the ball better. That's all in the mechanics of the swing itself. If all it took to hit more line drives was to be more aggressive (i.e., swing at more pitches), why wouldn't everyone do it?
June 3, 201313 yr Author Being aggressive has nothing to do with hitting the ball better. That's all in the mechanics of the swing itself. If all it took to hit more line drives was to be more aggressive (i.e., swing at more pitches), why wouldn't everyone do it? Where in the world did I say being more aggressive = more line drives? I said he has begun hitting more line drives by squaring up on the ball and swinging through on a line drive plane...
June 3, 201313 yr Being aggressive has nothing to do with hitting the ball better. That's all in the mechanics of the swing itself. If all it took to hit more line drives was to be more aggressive (i.e., swing at more pitches), why wouldn't everyone do it? Where in the world did I say being more aggressive = more line drives? I said he has begun hitting more line drives by squaring up on the ball and swinging through on a line drive plane... You said that the more aggressive you are, the more contact you'll make, the better contact you'll make. That's not necessarily true. A lot goes into the outcome of the bat and ball meeting each other. Velocity, mechanics, pitch location, bat speed, strength. Juan Pierre and Placido Polanco both put the ball in play a lot. Neither of them take many walks. Neither of them strike out very much. Both of them are bad.
June 3, 201313 yr Author Being aggressive has nothing to do with hitting the ball better. That's all in the mechanics of the swing itself. If all it took to hit more line drives was to be more aggressive (i.e., swing at more pitches), why wouldn't everyone do it? Where in the world did I say being more aggressive = more line drives? I said he has begun hitting more line drives by squaring up on the ball and swinging through on a line drive plane... You said that the more aggressive you are, the more contact you'll make, the better contact you'll make. That's not necessarily true. A lot goes into the outcome of the bat and ball meeting each other. Velocity, mechanics, pitch location, bat speed, strength. Juan Pierre and Placido Polanco both put the ball in play a lot. Neither of them take many walks. Neither of them strike out very much. Both of them are bad. They're bad now because age has begun to sink in, but before they were old, they were All-Star caliber players based on the reasons you just mentioned. They used to make solid contact, now they just make some contact. They're both a great example of that. In the case of Coghlan, it was only a matter of time before those weak fly balls turned in to line drives. As you said, it took a few mechanical adjustments and as I said, a more aggressive approach... these are the results.
June 3, 201313 yr I just believe that if you tend to be more aggressive at the plate, you're going to put the ball IN PLAY more often. Please explain why putting the ball in play more often will result in more line drives as opposed to fly balls or ground balls. Neither you or Anonymous have been able to answer this. It's pretty easy for you to delete the rest of my post. I suggested that Coghlan has always had a knack for making contact. But there is a difference between simply getting the bat on the ball and squaring up on the ball and swinging with a line drive plane through the ball. The more aggressive you are, the more contact you're making, eventually you're going to start making GOOD contact on the ball (good = LINE DRIVES). As anonymous said, I'm going to bow out here as I guess it's just difficult to explain our opinions without BABlahblah stats. If you watch baseball, played baseball, I feel like you should have some kind of a grasp of what we're trying explain, at the very least. You don't see the rather large gap in your logic here? There is no logical basis in saying that attempting to make more contact (aggressiveness) or even actually making more contact will somehow result in better contact. How can you possibly draw the conclusion that by simply putting the ball in play more frequently you are going to be making better contact? It seems like you don't understand how a logical chain of causality works. Apparently many people reading this thread do, though.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.