Fringe Prospects

97marlin

Brad Hand sucks, but he is 23, anyone have any idea why he is still in triple A where he is getting hit up. If he is going to stay a starter he should go down to double A or even single A advanced and learn a new pitch or do something while he is still young. Right now he is making league minimum to be bad in triple A and have no Future with any team.

also Daniel pertusati sucks, we have lots and lots of talented players in OF and he is in double A? Brent Keys needs to be in double A ASAP. I personally would like to understand if he is just lucky or if he is actually a generally gifted athlete who has a complete knowledge of the strike zone. If he is the latter he could be a key player in the future. Even if you think he is none of this he is sure as heck is a lot more deserving in the next level than pertusati.

Brian Flynn, has good numbers, I personally believe he does need triple A starts. I think we should bring him up for the call-ups at the end of the year, my only concern is besides myself does anyone see him as a long term major leaguer?

Thanks for the input.

Hand, I'm not sure what can be done with, he's still young enough to develop another pitch, but it looks like his time has come and gone.

Flynn, should get a shot at some starts in September when Fernandez gets shut down if what is rumored is true.

As for Pertusati he got promoted to Jax last season in spite of what Ozuna and Yelich were doing and it surprised the hell out of me then he's been back and forth between Jupiter and Jax since then! The Marlins have made several of these head scratchers the last few years, they promoted Jensen to Jax and then left him there, had Skipworth skip Jupiter among others. Who knows what they're thinking other than Keys wouldn't be playing much if Marisnick and Yelich are playing everyday?

I was more thinking a new pitch to reduce HR rate, and maybe raise K rate, but that works too. The real thing is I think leaving him in triple A is a waist. He isn't learning, he isn't adjusting, he is just making league minimum to do nothing for our organization. Hand could be a good prospect, he has the physical ability, the question at this point is can he be broken down and rebuilt. We are stuck with him, might as well try to do something with him.

It's very possible. I'm not saying Hand would EVER be this good, but look at what a tweak in delivery did for Roy Halladay in 2000. He went on to be one of the more dominant pitchers for the next decade. Perhaps that's all Hand would need.

If the tweak in delivery happens and he gains control, then he can add in another pitch. He's not a guy to blow people away with his fastball (89, 90 if I recall correctly), but if he added, say, a cutter and/or two-seam fastball, he could be effective without missing bats.

It's very possible. I'm not saying Hand would EVER be this good, but look at what a tweak in delivery did for Roy Halladay in 2000. He went on to be one of the more dominant pitchers for the next decade. Perhaps that's all Hand would need.

If the tweak in delivery happens and he gains control, then he can add in another pitch. He's not a guy to blow people away with his fastball (89, 90 if I recall correctly), but if he added, say, a cutter and/or two-seam fastball, he could be effective without missing bats.

He actually misses enough bats. His K/9 numbers are as high as they've ever been, and even giving up less hits than innings. but he's also walking guys more than ever.

• 3 weeks later...

Putting it in this thread because.... pineapples.

Anyway, Colby Suggs was drafted 73 overall this year and he's already in Jupiter. In the drafting report there is a comment that he could "conceivably hop on the fast track to the major leagues with the right organization".

He had 1 game, 1 inning in the GCL.

He had 7 games, 8 innings in the NYP.

He skipped Greensboro.

He has had 6 games, 7.2 innings in the FSL with Jupiter.

Fastball: 60/70

Currently a plus pitch with plus-plus potential; sits comfortably in the 93-96 mph range; features natural sinking action when located down in the zone; heavy pitch that eats up right-handed batters; can reach back for 97-98 mph; fastball becomes very hittable when left up in the zone.

Curveball: 60/65

Feel for breaking ball has steadily improved over the last year; when he’s on, the pitch has tight spin and sharp, downer bite; potential swing-and-miss offering at the next level; thrown consistently in the 78-83 mph range and is a hammer when he’s locating the fastball.

Control: 35/45

The reason he’s never been developed as a starter; max-effort delivery can hinder ability to control both pitches; has the stuff to be effective in short bursts even when he struggles to throw strikes; relies on overpowering opposing hitters rather than making perfect pitch.

Command: 35/45

Stressful delivery and tendency to overthrow results in below-average command; gives up few hits and misses plenty of bats, but perennially high walk rate is concerning; ironing out some mechanical kinks may allow him to pound the zone more consistently; fringy fastball command and tendency to pitch up in the zone could lead to initial struggles as a professional.

MLB Player Comparison: Heath Bell (AristicHate says... DON'T PANIC!)

Projection: Closer for a second-division team

MLB ETA: 2014

Just someone else to keep an eye on.

He's a month older than Brian Flynn.

He still walks a lot of guys, but he's still in the prospect territory.

In terms of Marlins pitching prospects, I'd say...

Tier 1 (#1/2 potential): Heaney

Tier 2 (#2/3 potential): Nicolino

Tier 3: (mid rotation potential): Conley, Flynn

Tier 4: (back end rotation guys): Descalfini, Urena, Hand

Those six pitchers are the main pitching prospects to keep an eye on currently. On the back end of the pitching prospect radar are guys like Sanchez, James, Morey, Vilanueva, Brice, Hope, Williams, and other guys who really haven't proved a great deal thus far.

I'd agree with that order of potential, Dim, and the potential depth is exciting. There are also some interesting bullpen names like Wall, McGough, Brady, Wittgren, Suggs, Dayton to keep an eye on.

Interesting that you still mention Chad James, he's back in Greensboro this season and has a 5.23 BB/9 in 32 innings. His K rate so far is also 9.37/9 so he seems a bit Ryan Tucker at the moment. That's to go with a 6.34 ERA.

The crazy thing about James is that lefties are just as good against him as righties. This season (small sample size) and in 2010... lefties were better against him!

You still think there's hope for him even at the age of 22?