Free Agents for 2014

Admin

I'm curious to why I've heard Ryan Hanigan's name so many times around here. Isn't he a defense-first catcher who just had a really bad offensive 2013? He may not be Mathis-level bad but aren't they essentially the same player? We should be looking for a more offensive catcher to compliment Mathis who, like it or not, will be one of our two catchers in 2014.

He did not have a good season at the plate, but look at the 4 prior years. It's more likely that his offense will come back somewhat to those levels. Look he's nothing to get crazy over, but outside of last season he's OPSing around .700 which you take every time for a cheap catcher who can play plus defense. And cheap is what we have to work with, we're not getting McCann or Wieters. BABIP was awfully low last year, that's unlikely to happen again. No power really but he gets on base (still drew walks at same rate last season too) and doesn't K a lot. He's also throwing runners out at a really good rate. Hey I'd love to have more though, by all means if they can work it.

It of course doesn't need to be Ryan Hanigan, we tend to talk up mediocre players more than we should because pretty much anything is better than what we have currently. He's just a good example of a place where we could make a small improvement without needing to break the bank.

I'm curious to why I've heard Ryan Hanigan's name so many times around here. Isn't he a defense-first catcher who just had a really bad offensive 2013? He may not be Mathis-level bad but aren't they essentially the same player? We should be looking for a more offensive catcher to compliment Mathis who, like it or not, will be one of our two catchers in 2014.

He did not have a good season at the plate, but look at the 4 prior years. It's more likely that his offense will come back somewhat to those levels. Look he's nothing to get crazy over, but outside of last season he's OPSing around .700 which you take every time for a cheap catcher who can play plus defense. And cheap is what we have to work with, we're not getting McCann or Wieters. BABIP was awfully low last year, that's unlikely to happen again. No power really but he gets on base (still drew walks at same rate last season too) and doesn't K a lot. He's also throwing runners out at a really good rate. Hey I'd love to have more though, by all means if they can work it.

It of course doesn't need to be Ryan Hanigan, we tend to talk up mediocre players more than we should because pretty much anything is better than what we have currently. He's just a good example of a place where we could make a small improvement without needing to break the bank.

So I'm guessing its a low risk "buying low" move? I'm ok with that but I worry that if his 2013 numbers weren't a fluke then we have two "Mathises" and that would suck.

So I'm guessing its a low risk "buying low" move? I'm ok with that but I worry that if his 2013 numbers weren't a fluke then we have two "Mathises" and that would suck.

Well, the big positive to Hanigan is that even when he sucked this year, he didn't K and he walked often. He has unbelievable plate discipline. So no matter what he should still be better than Mathis, and I agree he should rebound (at least a little) next year.

Am I the only person worried the Marlins are willing to part with top prospects for mediocre talent? The FA class is weak and the players they're looking at simply aren't worth the asking price.

Why not see what stop-gap you can find in FA for 3B and see how much your team can improve from within?

Better trade scenarios will be available once the season has commenced and teams start to sell-away pieces as they fall out of contention.

Next year's FA market is lining up to be much better, and would allow the FA to better assess the catching position, and what young arms they can part with.

I feel the Marlins want to pull off a trade just to do something. Unless a trade scenarios that blows everyone away comes along, the Marlins are best staying put.

I think the Marlins should go bargain shopping in free agency. They could sign some guys to one year deals (like the Cubs did last winter) and deal them in July for more prospects if that is the way you want to go. Who knows, the Marlins might be able to contend if they catch lightning in the bottle in the bargain bin, as the pitching staff is already pretty good. Guys like Kurt Suzuki, Dioner Navarro, Mark Reynolds, Kevin Youkilis, Kelly Johnson, Rafael Furcal, Ryan Roberts, Jason Kubel, Delmon Young, Tyler Colvin and Rajai Davis all make sense to me in varying degrees. I wouldn't trade any of the young pitchers on the staff right now.