SI picks fish to finish last

Admin

I think we are gonna seriously contend for a wild card spot depending on the health of two guys: Fernandez and Stanton. If they stay healthy we will not be a bad team. We have such a deep array of arms both in the rotation and bullpen and I loved our moves this offseason bringing in good veteran bats that give us a lot of platoon options all over the infield that covers up our deficiencies while we wait for prospects to develop.

If Hech can improve to even a .675 OPS guy which i think is certainly possible and then use the great bats against lefties of Lucas and Baker as platoon options we can hit just enough with Yelich and Stanton and even Salty providing an upgrade over last year we can be good enough to support our pitching and possibly be over .500

I have some expectations for this team. Very good things coming in the future.

I don't think we're going anywhere with this infield. It's a giant mess.

Its not good but I think we can certainly get by with it. Salty will give us solid production from the catcher spot and I think having Baker and Lucas as platoon options against lefties will really help us. Also I think Hech gets a lot of shit but he is going to take a step forward with the bat this year, not that that is anything hard considering how bad he was. My point is, with our OF and above average production with the bat from Salty we can get by with our infield production.

Also I think Mcgehee will be ok and Dietrich will eventually be a very good starting 2b.

This season with the quality and depth of our pitching,Salty and McGehee bringing some semblance of stability to catcher and 3rd base, the team will win more game. How many more? I would say that 82 wins is a possibility but hey to be conservative i'd say 78 Wins

Keep in mind at some time Marisnick and maybe Moran will be called up I have hope the Marlins can find a 1st baseman somewhere, I just think Garrett Jones will be failed project

McGehee will improve on our 3b production from 2013. I mean that will be easy.

Yea. And a Jones/Baker duo for the majority of the season should improve 1B significantly.

The IF shouldn't be good, but it should be hella better than last year. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if we finish ahead of NY and Philly, they're going to be terrible. I mean, the Mets are starting Gee on opening day, and the Phillies offense might be as bad as ours.

I think the scouts nailed both of these:

Scout’s Take

Most overrated: Jacob Turner

“Jacob Turner’s probably a No. 5 starter. He’s missing that swing-and-miss pitch you need at the big league level to have strikeouts and he has no plus breaking pitch. He’s become more of a finesse pitcher—it’s funny to say that when he throws low 90s, but in today’s world, that’s what it is.�

Most underrated: Tom Koehler

“One of the most undervalued guys out there is Tom Koehler. He has four pitches: Mid-90s fastball, changeup, curve, cutter. The change is coming along fine, but the slider’s the out pitch. He had a really good second half. He just needs experience and to command his fastball.�

Guys our IF is still an absolute disaster. Even if they all play out of their minds that'd still be a below average offense AT BEST. Maybe we're not last, but we'll be close to it.

They plan to star Jones full time at 1b which is a moronic idea and will be terrible. Casey McGhee will outperform last years 3b production, but he'll still be below avg offensively and defensively. We have the worst position player in mlb manning SS. If he ever gets/stays healthy Furcal is our starting 2b (See JP last year. He was horrendous but still started plenty of games despite other options). Salty should provide avg to above avg production at C. That is not good guys. Not good.