March 29, 201412 yr Meh. I think Dietrich has earned his spot back on the roster with his spring, but since they sent Marisnick down, I guess it'll just be a 5 day stay for him unless he bats .600 in that time.
March 29, 201412 yr Meh. I think Dietrich has earned his spot back on the roster with his spring, but since they sent Marisnick down, I guess it'll just be a 5 day stay for him unless he bats .600 in that time. So let's hope he hits .600...
March 29, 201412 yr Author Once Furcal is back, Dietrich has no spot regardless of how well he plays. I don't think they want him riding the pine (rightfully so).
March 29, 201412 yr Author That's not too bad, I guess. I just hope they don't get enamored with Solano during that time. This guy has a knack for just sticking.. Solano is the turd that just won't flush.
March 30, 201412 yr Solano is the turd that just won't flush. He's absolutely fine as a reserve. He has pretty good at bats off the bench, in his defense...
March 30, 201412 yr Author He's absolutely fine as a reserve. He has pretty good at bats off the bench, in his defense... Not really. He's basically a replacement level player.
March 30, 201412 yr Not really. He's basically a replacement level player. Is that not what a bench player usually is, though?
March 30, 201412 yr Author Is that not what a bench player usually is, though? Solano put up a 0.0 WAR last season. You absolutely aim for better production than that from a bench player.
March 30, 201412 yr Well, wait a minute. Last year, they aimed and missed -- Solano put up a 0.0 WAR. Then, this year they aimed again and sent him down. The only reason he's back up is a broken hand. At least they tried.
March 30, 201412 yr Solano put up a 0.0 WAR last season. You absolutely aim for better production than that from a bench player. A bit of a stretch, but if a guy has a WAR of 3, you're not exactly going to have him on the bench on a consistent basis, would you? Platoon situations aside.
March 30, 201412 yr Author A bit of a stretch, but if a guy has a WAR of 3, you're not exactly going to have him on the bench on a consistent basis, would you? Platoon situations aside. You can't look at it that way because WAR is a cumulative statistic. However, you absolutely want your bench players to be above replacement caliber, which is roughly equivalent to most scrubs signed to minor league contracts vying for a spot on an MLB roster. Generally speaking, a good bench player should fall in the >0 to 2 WAR range. Someone like Solano is so easily replaced too--he brings very little to the table. He doesn't even really have the positional versatility of someone like Amezaga or Bonifacio. He plays a hair above neutral 2B and that's about it. I wouldn't expect Solano to have a bench role on any other MLB team; the Marlins just have such awful depth.
March 30, 201412 yr Yeah, it's crap depth. But, your point was Solano had a WAR of 0.0 last year and thus shouldn't even be on a bench this year. I don't disagree, but you're not generally going to have a guy on the bench who put up numbers last year that would be good enough to start unless everywhere he can play has all-stars, which is why I said, "if a guy has a WAR of 3 [meaning last year], you're not going to have him on the bench [consistently]." Am I wrong in saying that? Solano does not fall in that category, so I'm not arguing for him, I'm arguing that you wouldn't typically have a guy that's too much above replacement level on the bench. Obviously if everyone on your bench had a WAR last year of 2-3, that'd be awesome, best bench of all time.
March 30, 201412 yr Author I feel like I have already addressed everything you are trying to say. No, a player who is capable of putting up a 3 WAR by playing almost everyday isn't going to be on your bench. A 1 WAR player might be, however, but Solano is a solid 0.0, which is roughly equivalent to most of the minor league contract guys. There is a pretty substantial difference in value/scarcity between a 0.0 WAR player and a 1.0 WAR player. I mean, it's pretty much common knowledge that a 0.0 WAR player has virtually no value for a major league team in any capacity.
March 30, 201412 yr And, once again, this year they sent his 0.0 WAR butt down. The only reason he's back up is a broken hand. He's the best of the depth they've got.
March 30, 201412 yr Author And, once again, this year they sent his 0.0 WAR butt down. The only reason he's back up is a broken hand. He's the best of the depth they've got. I don't see what point you are responding to. That's exactly why he's the turd that won't flush.
March 30, 201412 yr If u have a turd that won't flush u gotta grab a wire clothes hanger and bludgeon the turd to pieces.... Just wanted to throw that information out there.
March 30, 201412 yr OK. So he's the 0.0 WAR guy you can't get rid of. They (correctly) sent him down and then brought him up only out of necessity. What would have them do? Flush him out of the organization and then have to bring up an even worse guy?
March 30, 201412 yr Author OK. So he's the 0.0 WAR guy you can't get rid of. They (correctly) sent him down and then brought him up only out of necessity. What would have them do? Flush him out of the organization and then have to bring up an even worse guy? If anyone on this board would read far too deeply into an off-hand remark about fecal matter, it would be you.
March 30, 201412 yr If anyone on this board would read far too deeply into an off-hand remark about fecal matter, it would be you. I think you're ignoring the fact that ...'s comment makes perfect sense.
March 31, 201412 yr If u have a turd that won't flush u gotta grab a wire clothes hanger and bludgeon the turd to pieces.... Just wanted to throw that information out there. Ewwwwww Gross!
March 31, 201412 yr Author I think you're ignoring the fact that ...'s comment makes perfect sense. Not in response to what I've said. My comment was not ignorant to the fact that Solano is up only because of the Lucas injury.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.