The Garrett Jones Problem, as Solved by Rodgers and Hammerstein

SongInTheAir

I know a lot of musicals, but I didn't get the reference :(

Nice write-up, though.

By the way, this was unclear: "The Marlins have faced an oddly high number of lefties in the early going, with five of their first eight games coming against left handed starting pitchers (De La Rosa, Anderson, and Morales in the Rockies series; Stults in the Padres series, and Gonzalez to open the Nationals series.) Garrett Jones has started all eight of these games, where the numbers say he should only have started three."

It sounds like "these games" in the second sentence is referring to the "five" games in the first sentence.

Nice write-up, though.

By the way, this was unclear: "The Marlins have faced an oddly high number of lefties in the early going, with five of their first eight games coming against left handed starting pitchers (De La Rosa, Anderson, and Morales in the Rockies series; Stults in the Padres series, and Gonzalez to open the Nationals series.) Garrett Jones has started all eight of these games, where the numbers say he should only have started three."

It sounds like "these games" in the second sentence is referring to the "five" games in the first sentence.

Not sure what the problem is here? "These games" is referring to all eight games played. He does say "Five" in the first sentence, but that's promptly followed by "of their first eight".

Not sure what the problem is here? "These games" is referring to all eight games played. He does say "Five" in the first sentence, but that's promptly followed by "of their first eight".

I don't know what it's called, but it's as if the "five" is the subject and the "of their first eight" is just modifying it.

Obvious? I don't think so.

As Hutton mentioned at the point in the 5/9 game when Jones got another hit against a lefty, he was then 4 for 15 against lefties. .267. Not horrible. Not 2 for 20. Not obvious.

Now, 15 ABs are statistically meaningless, as meaningless as were 20 ABs against lefties last year. But, I have no problem with the Marlins giving him enough rope to see if he hangs himself against lefties. So far he hasn't. He may, but if he does it'll take months to prove it, so he's gonna continue to start, regardless of who's pitching.

If he can keep it up, say at least .250 against lefties while mashing right-handers, he's a big asset.

Nice write-up, though.

It's in the article's title. From West Side Story, I believe, the song How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria?

As Hutton mentioned at the point in the 5/9 game when Jones got another hit against a lefty, he was then 4 for 15 against lefties. .267. Not horrible. Not 2 for 20. Not obvious.

Now, 15 ABs are statistically meaningless, as meaningless as were 20 ABs against lefties last year. But, I have no problem with the Marlins giving him enough rope to see if he hangs himself against lefties. So far he hasn't. He may, but if he does it'll take months to prove it, so he's gonna continue to start, regardless of who's pitching.

If he can keep it up, say at least .250 against lefties while mashing right-handers, he's a big asset.

His career stats against lefties are pretty clear evidence that he can't hit them. I don't understand why they think he will suddenly put it together now.

His career stats against lefties are pretty clear evidence that he can't hit them. I don't understand why they think he will suddenly put it together now.

Exactly. It's downright ridiculous to think after all this time he will start magically hitting lefties. One of those 4 hits was a bunt to a wide open 3b so if you take that away his avg is down to .200 which is far more accurate of where he'll be the rest of the season against them. He's also a terrible defender.

If you say so, Jeffrey.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.