Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Our Next Starting Pitcher

Featured Replies

  • Author

Sure, if you only care about ERA. Conley has the best stuff/peripherals of the remaining group.

I mean, ERA for a starting pitcher is always pretty important, regardless of what year it is.

  • Author

Dan Jennings, though.

That's why I made it clear, it's important for starting pitchers. Relievers are a little different.

I mean, ERA for a starting pitcher is always pretty important, regardless of what year it is.

I think it's super important at the end of the season, yeah. But at this point there's a lot of question marks with addressing it.

 

I don't see a problem with throwing a start at him or putting him in the pen, if only to send the message to guys like Desclafani and Turner that they can let someone else suck in their place.

Conley is doing just fine with the numbers that a pitcher can best control. His K's are up, his BB's are down and he keeps the ball in the yard. He's just not pitching well with men on base for some reason. His LOB% is likely to turn around.

 

Furthermore, he's the only one of the pitchers being mentioned with power stuff. I'd take my chances with him going forward over any one of these guys...ESPECIALLY ELIH VILLANUEVA, c'mon. Conley and then Nicolino second even though he can't get a strikeout.

The problem is that apart from Heaney, the SP prospects at AAA and AA are all overrated. Flynn will be hit just as hard as Disco has been, and I think this would hold true as well for Nicolino, who does not have swing and miss stuff. Doesn't really matter who they bring up in my book. The fifth starter will continue to be a sore spot.

You're pessimistic even for a pessimist.

Adam Conley

This is my choice. He would probably have been up already if not for being on the DL for a good portion of the season at AAA. If he can get a couple more good starts in I think he will replace Disco eventually.

 

I am intrigued as to why they bypassed Flynn a second time for Disco. Flynn had already completed a decent season in AAA last year. Disco was and is much more raw.

Flynn lost whatever control he had last year. Conley has such a small sample size its hard to tell if he is for real. Honestly I don't know what to think of about Nicolino. Honestly our best option is to let disco have a few more starts before we look to others. And I don't mean outside of the organization. We need a shortstop.

  • Author

I think the next starting pitcher is likely going to depend upon our place in the standings. If we're still competing and they determine Disco needs to go down, or to the pen, then I could see a bigger name like Nicolino get the next shot. Take the leap of faith with the most talented guy you have. However, if they are falling, I could see it being Flynn or Villanueva just so they can find out what they have there.

I think the next starting pitcher is likely going to depend upon our place in the standings. If we're still competing and they determine Disco needs to go down, or to the pen, then I could see a bigger name like Nicolino get the next shot. Take the leap of faith with the most talented guy you have. However, if they are falling, I could see it being Flynn or Villanueva just so they can find out what they have there.

 

Villanueva is terrible.

I think the next starting pitcher is likely going to depend upon our place in the standings. If we're still competing and they determine Disco needs to go down, or to the pen, then I could see a bigger name like Nicolino get the next shot. Take the leap of faith with the most talented guy you have. However, if they are falling, I could see it being Flynn or Villanueva just so they can find out what they have there.

I don't think Villanueva will be getting any kind of shot or look. After Disco, Conley, Flynn, Urena, and Nicolino we still have a load of prospects coming up behind them. Brice, Jarlin Garcia, Domingo German , and not to mention Kolek are the next wave of arms. So, if we are in it we can't depend on Villanueva, and if we are out of it we can't waste starts on Villanueva. Either way it's not good for him here.

  • Author

I don't think Villanueva will be getting any kind of shot or look. After Disco, Conley, Flynn, Urena, and Nicolino we still have a load of prospects coming up behind them. Brice, Jarlin Garcia, Domingo German , and not to mention Kolek are the next wave of arms. So, if we are in it we can't depend on Villanueva, and if we are out of it we can't waste starts on Villanueva. Either way it's not good for him here.

 

This franchise is the king of wasting starts. That tells me that it'll be him, lol.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.