7/27 Post Game

Guest Vince0926

Sadly, there are many here who don't recognize this as a forum and, instead, just want it to be a place where they can pontificate their bullshitt and others follow them like a herd of mindless idiots. In other news... Vince, you da man!

we have terrorists, murderers, rapists, and little vince makes a comment about everyone's beloved and wow, he must be crucified.

Guest Vince0926

Not really when what he is saying is such utter bullshit that it borders on ridiculous trolling,

yeah you are right it is b.s. you got me. guys! I have an announcement! Stanton DID NOT strike out 4 times yesterday looking badly. you must of had me the whole way huh

Guest Vince0926

you're basing your whole argument about a guy with a career .900 OPS and 140 HR before he's 25 on one game?

NO im basing my whole argument on the last 1.5 months that he has SUCKED! the first 2.5 months he rocked it. SINCE THEN, no he hasn't. he has been pretty weak. he has only begun to get a teeny bit better (clutch wise and pure hitting wise) for the last week. but what I have seen in this Houston series other than that one hit on Saturday is regression again. and I don't want that. I hope he hits 3 home runs today to shut me up but the possibility remains he can hit 3 today and strike out 4 times tomorrow. and I hate for him to go through that. all I ask for (and the rest of them) is consistency.

NO im basing my whole argument on the last 1.5 months that he has SUCKED! the first 2.5 months he rocked it. SINCE THEN, no he hasn't. he has been pretty weak. he has only begun to get a teeny bit better (clutch wise and pure hitting wise) for the last week. but what I have seen in this Houston series other than that one hit on Saturday is regression again. and I don't want that. I hope he hits 3 home runs today to shut me up but the possibility remains he can hit 3 today and strike out 4 times tomorrow. and I hate for him to go through that. all I ask for (and the rest of them) is consistency.

.900 OPS and 140 HR before age 25 is the definition of consistency

Honestly, Vince, we're all frustrated with Stanton. We're especially frustrated when he goes 0-4 with 4 Ks and two of them on sliders/curveballs low and away with the other two being fastballs down the middle/up.

But we also realize he's got the most talent on this team. He is the most athletic on the team by far. Three sports in high school and excelled in all of them from the get-go. We all watch the same games you do. We see that Stanton whiffs at sliders that he can't reach.

In truth, yes, you (and Preston) are correct in that he needs to move closer to the plate. He can't reach that slider low and away, and sometimes he can't hit the fastball down there, either. Moving about 3-4 inches closer to the plate solves that problem, especially if he can start laying off that slider.

However, it creates a new problem. Stanton seems to have an issue with another pitch. The fastball inside. This is why, I think, he stands so far off the plate. He sees the fastball inside, he can lay off of it. He knows it will be a ball. Awesome! Not only that, a ball on the inside half of the plate is now basically right down the middle for him. Unfortunately, though, this has created the "slider low and away" issue. It's actually more frustrating because he's always had that issue, ever since he came up.

Does he need a day off? Maybe. But he has said he wants to play in all 162, and honestly, I'd like to see that, too. Have we had anyone play in all 162 since Juan Pierre in 04? It'd be nice to see that, especially with his injury history.

He strikes out a lot. Yes. Unfortunately, that's the norm for (MOST) power hitters these days. Hell, even the almighty Mike Trout has struck out 110 times this year already. He's on pace for a career high. Stanton is at 120 currently, also on pace for a career high, especially if he plays all 162.

However - Mr. Stanton is still our most talented player. You seem to be overlooking that and calling him overrated. Were you saying this in April and May? Probably not. You were probably with a good chunk of this board saying he should be #1 for MVP. I was in there, too, I'll admit. (Notice I said "probably" - I didn't say for sure, I don't have evidence of this)

We have more glaring issues than Stanton striking out a lot and slumping (although it is something I'd like for him to fix). We have a catcher we signed for three years that can barely catch and barely hit. I'm hoping his 2015 is better [salty], but then we also have Hechavarria, which is a black hole on offense unless nobody is on base, then he's a .300 hitter (amazing how that works). We don't have a legit second baseman right now. There are bigger problems than Stanton right now.

There. I've argued for both sides. You have a reason to gripe at his recent performance, but please acknowledge that he's a highly talented player, at least. His problem is that he thinks at the plate too much. You're right, he's not consistent, but he's put up consistent numbers over the course of full seasons, as polly has posted up.

There's another issue here, though. You called someone "Hammerhead".

Hammerhead, with all due respect. We have waited 4 years for him to learn. He did so well in the first 2.5 months. What happened? I remember on tv rich and tommy saying that he doesn't need to hit the home run, just hit square and the let the ball dunk into the outfield. And he did that.

He stands there, chasing everything, expecting that 600 ft homer. Just dunk the ball, bro. He can hit home runs by accident. Just shorten the swing, have PITCH RECOGNITION, then he will win that MVP everyone talks about. He's just not there man, not even close. Good post though.

The poster you were referring to was Undakai, not "Hammerhead" - that little slip up right there may have been just that, a slip up. But, it does remind me of a certain poster that was short-lived here, that being our dear friend Corona. Either that WAS just a slip up, or you've just outed yourself as one of our most recent master trolls, sir.

Guest Vince0926

.900 OPS and 140 HR before age 25 is the definition of consistency

well if they want to make the playoffs this year, he better have more of it. this is where they need him the most. so as a "leader" im expecting it.

well if they want to make the playoffs this year, he better have more of it. this is where they need him the most. so as a "leader" im expecting it.

They aren't making the playoffs this season. Get that through your head. The sooner you understand that, the better off this board is.

Guest Vince0926

Honestly, Vince, we're all frustrated with Stanton. We're especially frustrated when he goes 0-4 with 4 Ks and two of them on sliders/curveballs low and away with the other two being fastballs down the middle/up.

But we also realize he's got the most talent on this team. He is the most athletic on the team by far. Three sports in high school and excelled in all of them from the get-go. We all watch the same games you do. We see that Stanton whiffs at sliders that he can't reach.

In truth, yes, you (and Preston) are correct in that he needs to move closer to the plate. He can't reach that slider low and away, and sometimes he can't hit the fastball down there, either. Moving about 3-4 inches closer to the plate solves that problem, especially if he can start laying off that slider.

However, it creates a new problem. Stanton seems to have an issue with another pitch. The fastball inside. This is why, I think, he stands so far off the plate. He sees the fastball inside, he can lay off of it. He knows it will be a ball. Awesome! Not only that, a ball on the inside half of the plate is now basically right down the middle for him. Unfortunately, though, this has created the "slider low and away" issue. It's actually more frustrating because he's always had that issue, ever since he came up.

Does he need a day off? Maybe. But he has said he wants to play in all 162, and honestly, I'd like to see that, too. Have we had anyone play in all 162 since Juan Pierre in 04? It'd be nice to see that, especially with his injury history.

He strikes out a lot. Yes. Unfortunately, that's the norm for (MOST) power hitters these days. Hell, even the almighty Mike Trout has struck out 110 times this year already. He's on pace for a career high. Stanton is at 120 currently, also on pace for a career high, especially if he plays all 162.

However - Mr. Stanton is still our most talented player. You seem to be overlooking that and calling him overrated. Were you saying this in April and May? Probably not. You were probably with a good chunk of this board saying he should be #1 for MVP. I was in there, too, I'll admit. (Notice I said "probably" - I didn't say for sure, I don't have evidence of this)

We have more glaring issues than Stanton striking out a lot and slumping (although it is something I'd like for him to fix). We have a catcher we signed for three years that can barely catch and barely hit. I'm hoping his 2015 is better [salty], but then we also have Hechavarria, which is a black hole on offense unless nobody is on base, then he's a .300 hitter (amazing how that works). We don't have a legit second baseman right now. There are bigger problems than Stanton right now.

There. I've argued for both sides. You have a reason to gripe at his recent performance, but please acknowledge that he's a highly talented player, at least. His problem is that he thinks at the plate too much. You're right, he's not consistent, but he's put up consistent numbers over the course of full seasons, as polly has posted up.

There's another issue here, though. You called someone "Hammerhead".

The poster you were referring to was Undakai, not "Hammerhead" - that little slip up right there may have been just that, a slip up. But, it does remind me of a certain poster that was short-lived here, that being our dear friend Corona. Either that WAS just a slip up, or you've just outed yourself as one of our most recent master trolls, sir.

no, I thought that was hammerhead, I think I skipped the name while scrolling up on my ipad. and I do agree with your mention about Stanton above. he is talented yes but at least im glad you acknowledged you are frustrated too. look man, we all like Stanton. but I don't want to see him hit a solo homer when we are down 7-1 already. I want a double with 3 men on in a 5-4 game. part of my frustrations are not only with him, but with the inconsistency of having men on in front of him.

Guest Vince0926

They aren't making the playoffs this season. Get that through your head. The sooner you understand that, the better off this board is.

so why watch then? no I will not give up on this team.

no, I thought that was hammerhead, I think I skipped the name while scrolling up on my ipad. and I do agree with your mention about Stanton above. he is talented yes but at least im glad you acknowledged you are frustrated too. look man, we all like Stanton. but I don't want to see him hit a solo homer when we are down 7-1 already. I want a double with 3 men on in a 5-4 game. part of my frustrations are not only with him, but with the inconsistency of having men on in front of him.

You also mentioned earlier that you would trust Ozuna more in a clutch spot than Stanton. What I've noticed this entire year is that Ozuna's homers and "big hits" come in low leverage situations (up or down more than 3/4 runs) where it doesn't really matter too much. When it's a close game, he strikes out on the exact same pitch we get on Stanton about, slider low and away. This has been MY observation, at any rate.

Actually, according to baseball-reference, he's best in "medium leverage situations" - interesting. Anyways ... he doesn't usually get that big run scoring hit in a close, high leverage situation. Just what I've seen.

but I don't want to see him hit a solo homer when we are down 7-1 already. I want a double with 3 men on in a 5-4 game. part of my frustrations are not only with him, but with the inconsistency of having men on in front of him.

Split â–´

G

GS

PA

AB

R

H

2B

3B

HR

RBI

SB

CS

BB

SO

BA

OBP

SLG

OPS

TB

GDP

HBP

SH

2 outs, RISP

Ahead

Behind

Late & Close

Margin > 4 R

Tie Game

Within 1 R

Within 2 R

Within 3 R

Within 4 R

Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table

Generated 7/28/2014.

so why watch then? no I will not give up on this team.

You can enjoy watching a baseball team with the understanding that it isn't a playoff contender. Please understand this this team is going absolutely nowhere this season. There's not a chance in hell that it makes the playoffs.

You seem to get your hopes up more than the average fan does, which is probably why you are saying all of this things about Stanton now. Accept the fact that the 2014 Marlins aren't good and just enjoy Stanton for the phenom that he is while he's still wearing a Marlins uniform.

Stanton is OPSing at .917 with RISP and at .965 with runners on and in 67 high leverage PAs this year, he's hitting .314 with 4 HR and 3 doubles (14 to 15 k/bb ratio). So basically at best you're completely wrong and at worst a blithering idiot.

Edit: Admin beat me to the punch it seems :)

Guest Vince0926

You also mentioned earlier that you would trust Ozuna more in a clutch spot than Stanton. What I've noticed this entire year is that Ozuna's homers and "big hits" come in low leverage situations (up or down more than 3/4 runs) where it doesn't really matter too much. When it's a close game, he strikes out on the exact same pitch we get on Stanton about, slider low and away. This has been MY observation, at any rate.

Actually, according to baseball-reference, he's best in "medium leverage situations" - interesting. Anyways ... he doesn't usually get that big run scoring hit in a close, high leverage situation. Just what I've seen.

okay sounds fair. good points.