Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Could AJ Ramos be a starter?

Featured Replies

He's actually never done it before and it's obviously not going to happen this year (or ever), but how good do you think he'd be as a starter?

 

I honestly think that, given a Spring Training to stretch the innings, Ramos could be a better starter than anyone in our rotation right now (of course, part of that is because 4/5th of the rotation is on the DL).

 

He has a + fastball, + slider, + changeup. All of his pitches are + pitches so he has no real platoon split which is usually the issue when a reliever is converted to starter. 

 

Watching him pitch, it's rather shocking that he's never even been a starter in the minors considering all of the relievers who have been starters. Every time he pitches now, the first thing brought up about him is his "starter's arsenal."

 

Anyone think the Marlins should experiment with this next season?

 

 

Well at this rate it's a solid bet he starts next year as our closer. When it comes to starting he has excellent stuff my only question would be his stamina to last. His change up is disgusting.

 

 

Great post! He actually throws a more diverse set of pitches than some starters as it. He's a pretty cool RP really. So Yes, absolutely let's stretch that arm out. :)

 

The big change for Ramos this year is he's figured something out with his change up. He's already thrown 100 this year (threw 169 last year) and that bad boy is getting a whopping 37% swgstrk rate which I think is highest in the league on a change up. It's such a good pitch and the slider isn't chopped liver ethier (21% swgstr)

 

 

I think Capps has closer potential, so yeah I could see AJ eventually in the rotation.

 

Somewhere down the road I could see....... dare I say it? .... Mr. Cishek in a set-up role and Capps closing.

 

Why hasn't AJ been considered for a starter before? Wasn't he a reliever/closer all through the minors?

 

.

 

 

I think Capps has closer potential, so yeah I could see AJ eventually in the rotation.

 

Somewhere down the road I could see....... dare I say it? .... Mr. Cishek in a set-up role and Capps closing.

 

Why hasn't AJ been considered for a starter before? Wasn't he a reliever/closer all through the minors?

 

.

 

​He was a starter in college but not a very good one (eventually had TJ surgery). Gotta give the marlins props for actually developing a succesful RP. 

 

 

Rather keep him in the BP.

 

Capps and Ramos at the backend of your BP is lethal.

 

Sidenote: If Hand continues pitching like he has these past couple of starts, i think he should remain as a starter. Of course this is a small sample size.

 

 

Considering he's thrown more than 2 IP exactly once in his career, it would take him some serious reconditioning to be able to last 6+ innings every five days. At 28, its probably not worth attempting especially when he is throwing this well. If he ain't broke, don't fix 'em.

 

 

Rather keep him in the BP.

 

Capps and Ramos at the backend of your BP is lethal.

 

Sidenote: If Hand continues pitching like he has these past couple of starts, i think he should remain as a starter. Of course this is a small sample size.

 

​Brad Hand has actually been excellent this season, as much as it hurts my fingers to type it and my brain to think it.

 

 

keep him in the pen.  there isn't much that's worked this year but Ramos is one of the bright spots.  Maybe let him get a few 4 out saves here and there but please don't tinker with a good thing.  it's not like he's 22 years old either. 

 

 

​Brad Hand has actually been excellent this season, as much as it hurts my fingers to type it and my brain to think it.

 

​Excellent is a stretch and we're still dealing with a pretty small sample size on him and very little ks and 0 HR against. He's basically Tom Koehlering it right now like the rest of our rotation composed of 4 and 5 SPs

 

 

Excellent?????  Does one of your advanced stats say that? He's been ok but far from excellent.

 

​I assume he's referring to Hand's FIP and BABIP against which look okay I guess. He's walking less which is great, but it's only been like 35 innings or something

 

 

Excellent?????  Does one of your advanced stats say that? He's been ok but far from excellent.

 

​

 

​I assume he's referring to Hand's FIP and BABIP against which look okay I guess. He's walking less which is great, but it's only been like 35 innings or something

 

​

 

​Agreed but that's not "excellent"

 

​Yeah, I may have exaggerated a bit there. I guess when you expect a dumpster fire and get a small trash can, that can be considered excellent, yeah?

 

Anyway, getting a 4.24 ERA from Brad Hand and seeing that he's actually been unlucky and that his ERA should be even lower is excellent. In a vacuum, far from excellent, but for Brad Hand? Give him the Cy Young right meow.

 

 

​I guess we'll never find out since everyone on this board had been blocked

 

​He still hasn't blocked me. He's subtweeted me several times despite my 76 followers compared to his 12,300. He's very much a small child who never gets hugged.

 

 

​He still hasn't blocked me. He's subtweeted me several times despite my 76 followers compared to his 12,300. He's very much a small child who never gets hugged.

 

​Ha! I have 339 followers on Twitter and I'm a dick! Take that!!

 

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.