November 12, 201510 yr I actually think thats untrue. Stanton signed and i believe people didnt think he would. Offer him the 6, $150 , and if he doesnt accept then well..... When he is a free agent? I said that half-jokingly because Boras is also Jose's agent.
November 12, 201510 yr If jose is here until the end of 2018....id wait until i dont know...TWO MORE YEARS TO SEE HOW HE PERFORMS....before offering a contract. If he tanks, then you saved yourself money. If he excels throw that increased revenue/tv contract bullshit contract at him and give him 7, 190 million. The front office and boras should leave him alone. There is no guarantee he will pitch great or pitch horrendous and we need to see this unfold. If he doesnt want to do this thing and you throw the book at him after the 2017 year, then trade him.
November 12, 201510 yr Boras is also the agent of Kris Bryant and if I am not mistaken Addison Russel as well? The Cubs will try to lock these guys up after next season if that, will they? Probably not unless they throw serious money at them. Only guy I can remember that signed a deal before hitting FA with his team was Carlos Gonzalez. I just don't see Fernandez signing here before FA unless Marlins throw an absurd number out there or he gets hurt again, then you gotta weigh the pros and cons and he would be stupid not to take the security if another injury happens. Yeah they kept Ozuna down too long but at the same time he wasn't exactly lighting it up when he came back, Ozuna is what he is. The guy needs to go home, get back into optimal shape and work towards having a monster season whether it is for us or another team. If he wants to get paid, he is going to need that chip on his shoulder. I am in the camp of not trading him, but if we can package him up with some bad contracts like Dunn then crap who knows? Boras only gets 5%? I keep thinking 8-10% Boras was the first baseball agent to negotiate contracts in excess of $50 million (Greg Maddux, five years, $57.5 million in 1997), $100 million (Kevin Brown, seven years, $105 million in 1998) and $200 million (Alex Rodriguez, 10 years,$252 million in 2000). Thought that was cool ^ The Maddux contract turned out pretty good, the latter two not so much especially that Kevin Brown deal.
November 12, 201510 yr Boras is a great agent but he sure as heck comes off like an ahole quite a bit.
November 12, 201510 yr Author Boras is a great agent but he sure as heck comes off like an ahole quite a bit. Being an asshole works well for lawyers and/or agents
November 12, 201510 yr I agree with Boras here but also recognize that Ozuna certainly wasn't deserving of having a spot on the roster no matter what. The guy came into spring training fat and out of shape and it reflected in his play. He spent the first 4 months of the year with absolutely no power and he was OPS'ing under .700 for a guy we expected to be around .800 and hit us 25 hr's or so. That being said, it is clear that while he wasn't immune from a demotion the teams main focus around sending him down was clearly due to his arbitration status. That isn't illegal but it is very cheap and very obvious that this was their main focal point for the demotion. Both sides are right in this case but for the marlins to continue to try to act like he was sent down solely because of performance reasons is absolutely further proof that they believe the fan base to be stupid. Also the fact that we are gonna let Marcell fucking Ozuna's issues with the team get in the way of trying to sign Fernandez long term is really quite a dumb move for the team.
November 12, 201510 yr Author That being said, it is clear that while he wasn't immune from a demotion the teams main focus around sending him down was clearly due to his arbitration status. That isn't illegal but it is very cheap and very obvious that this was their main focal point for the demotion. You're wrong, like I said earlier. he was demoted because of his production. He was kept down longer due to arby status. If what you're saying was true, then you're saying he would've been demoted regardless of his stats and that is simply not true. I'm not defending the team or Loria before I'm accused of that again. I think its shady to do what they did but he was NOT demoted due to the arby status.
November 12, 201510 yr You're wrong, like I said earlier. he was demoted because of his production. He was kept down longer due to arby status. If what you're saying was true, then you're saying he would've been demoted regardless of his stats and that is simply not true. I'm not defending the team or Loria before I'm accused of that again. I think its shady to do what they did but he was NOT demoted due to the arby status. Oh don't get me wrong I absolutely agree. I was calling for Ozuna to be sent down even earlier in the year it was clear he wasn't the same player he was the year before. But for them to act like it was all performance based is an insult to the intelligence of anyone who follows baseball and understands how contracts work in that sport.
November 12, 201510 yr Boras is the best agent in baseball for a reason. Marlins sent down Ozuna to save money because they are cheap fuckers. I get it for keeping a year of control, for reasons like this and being subjected to the crap they had last year instead was stupid, unprofessional and typical Loria. There is 0 chance Ozuna is on this team. There is zero chance Marlins get a #2 pitcher for him. He will still be moved. This should present a fun dilemma soon, since Loria supposedly loves Fernandez (or did at one time) and he is represented by Boras, this will only get fun sooner or later. In Ozuna's case he might actually end up costing him tens of millions of dollars if 2015 Ozuna is what he is the rest of his career
November 12, 201510 yr Author Oh don't get me wrong I absolutely agree. I was calling for Ozuna to be sent down even earlier in the year it was clear he wasn't the same player he was the year before. But for them to act like it was all performance based is an insult to the intelligence of anyone who follows baseball and understands how contracts work in that sport. It was 100% performance based to send him down initially. Keeping him down longer was 100% financially based. Had he produced, he wouldn't have been sent down regardless of super-two status.
November 12, 201510 yr Do the White Sox need an outfielder? I'd love to trade for Jose Quintana who is apparently rumored to be on the trade block.
November 12, 201510 yr Author I am tempted to dislike every one of Das's posts in this thread because they all suck.
November 12, 201510 yr It was 100% performance based to send him down initially. Keeping him down longer was 100% financially based. Had he produced, he wouldn't have been sent down regardless of super-two status. BS Admin. B. S.
November 12, 201510 yr Author BS Admin. B. S. I know, I'm just defending the front office again. Clearly if Ozuna was hitting like he did in 2014, he would've been demoted anyway. Right?
November 12, 201510 yr I know, I'm just defending the front office again. Clearly if Ozuna was hitting like he did in 2014, he would''ve been demoted anyway. Right? Look at it this way, if Ozuna had signed the extension, do you think they would have sent him down? Hell no
November 12, 201510 yr Author Look at it this way, if Ozuna had signed the extension, do you think they would have sent him down? Hell no That has nothing to do with what I said. Of course that changes things. Forget the extension and focus on just this season. If he was hitting, he would NOT have been demoted. if you think otherwise, you're being naive.
November 12, 201510 yr That has nothing to do with what I said. Of course that changes things. Forget the extension and focus on just this season. If he was hitting, he would NOT have been demoted. if you think otherwise, you're being naive. The fish were 25 games under 500 and starting ichiro with his 550 ops and gallaspie in the outfield and casey mcgehee getting starts. They really should have never demoted him. Saying it was 100% performance based with the shit they let play is ridiculous. I'd give it a 50/50 splits with performance leading them to demote him, but super 2 and saying fuck you being the primary motivation. And I'm glad they did as I've mentioned mutliple times because fuck Boras
November 12, 201510 yr Author I give up. if you truly believe he would've been demoted regardless of his stats, there's no point repeating myself. You're right. *walks away*
November 12, 201510 yr That has nothing to do with what I said. Of course that changes things. Forget the extension and focus on just this season. If he was hitting, he would NOT have been demoted. if you think otherwise, you're being naive. I agree that if he was hitting he would not have been demoted. I'm just saying that once he was demoted, there were clearly ulterior motives at play
November 12, 201510 yr I am tempted to dislike every one of Das's posts in this thread because they all suck. what the fuck? you go around and be represented by some other agent and make a fraction less than I will if Scott Boras is representing me for the same job.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.