Were Sherman/Jeter happy Stanton won MVP or

DTrain

In some fashion, I say it goes for both.

In one sense, Giancarlo wins MVP. His value is now potentially even higher. In this way, the return can be greater with them having to send less money to cover part of Giancarlo's salary. Say before it was going to be option A of 4 top prospects and sending 20% per year or option B of 3 top prospects, a throw-in, and 10%, it may now be more like option A of 4 top prospects and 10%. Maybe. I truly don't know how a GM thinks with regards to this.

On the other hand, yeah, it's an ABSOLUTE nightmare for them. "Giancarlo won MVP and they traded him, typical Marlins, same old song and dance, nothing changes!" So ... yeah.

I understand baseball is a business, but sometimes when you're beginning a business, you have to incur some losses, so why not bite the bullet for now, grab three pitchers, and keep this team together?

Ozuna isnt cheap and will be a free agent after next year with 0 chance of us re-signing him.  He needs to and will be traded this offseason.

The hell are you talking about? Ozuna isn't a free agent until 2020. He's going into his second year of arbitration in 2018. Furthermore, for his production this year, he is ABSOLUTELY cheap.

The hell are you talking about? Ozuna isn't a free agent until 2020. He's going into his second year of arbitration in 2018.

He's projected to get 11 million for this year.  Not expensive, but he's by no stretch of the imagination cheap, and he might have a down year if we trade Stanton without trading him given that he will receive fewer pitches to hit going forward.  He will be traded, and rightfully so.

Even if he was cheap, that would be more ammunition to the need to trade him debate.

and no, he's a free agent after next year.

He's projected to get 11 million for this year.  Not expensive, but he's by no stretch of the imagination cheap, and he might have a down year if we trade Stanton without trading him given that he will receive fewer pitches to hit going forward.  He will be traded, and rightfully so.

Even if he was cheap, that would be more ammunition to the need to trade him debate.

OK, sure, his production would more than likely drop without Stanton, I will give you that.

Even so, if it's a drop of 20%, which is a lot, he's still very productive. If he drops down to a 4.6 bWAR or 3.8 fWAR (from 5.8 and 4.8 respectively, this is the 20% drop), that's still really good, even at $11m.

OK, sure, his production would more than likely drop without Stanton, I will give you that.

Even so, if it's a drop of 20%, which is a lot, he's still very productive. If he drops down to a 4.6 bWAR or 3.8 fWAR (from 5.8 and 4.8 respectively, this is the 20% drop), that's still really good, even at $11m.

The point isnt his production, it's getting as much as possible for him before he leaves in free agency.  We arent contending next year regardless and his value will never be higher, no matter if he has the same exact year next year.