Predict the Opening Day 25-Man Roster

SilverBullet

MLB.com is doing the same today and below are Joe Frisaro's predictions. Unlike most of the last several seasons, this year's Opening Day roster isn't set in stone for many reasons so this could be fun to predict and to look back upon on Opening Day.

Who do you think makes the Opening Day roster? 

C- JT Realmuto

1B- Justin Bour

2B- Starlin Castro

3B- Martin Prado

SS- JT Riddle

OF- Lewis Brinson, Braxton Lee, Magneuris Sierra 

Bench- Tomas Telis, Derek Dietrich, Miguel Rojas, Garrett Cooper

Starting Pitchers- Dan Straily, Jose Urena, Adam Conley, Dillon Peters, Wei Yin Chen

Bullpen- Brad Ziegler (Closer), Kyle Barraclough, Junichi Tazawa, Jarlin Garcia, Drew Steckenrider, Nick Wittgren, Caleb Smith, Justin Nicolino

I think we're gonna trade JT, but just going off the understanding that we dont trade him until the deadline:

C- JT

1b- Bour

2b- Castro

SS- rojas

3b- Anderson

LF- Dietrich

CF- Jon Jay

RF- Cooper

Bench- Telis, Prado, Riddle, Van Slyke, Lee

SP's- Conley, Urena, Straily, Chen, Nicolino/Despaigne

RP- Barraclough, Steckenrider, Tazawa, Jarlin, Nicolino/Despaigne, Wittgren, Ziegler

C- Tomas Telis

1B- Justin Bour

2B- Starlin Castro

3B- Martin Prado

SS- JT Riddle

OF - Jon Jay, Dietrich, Rafael Ortega

Bench- Miguel Rojas, Garrett Cooper, Chad Wallach, Scott Van Slyke

Starting Pitchers- Dan Straily, Jose Urena, Adam Conley, Scott Feldman, Wei-Yen Chen

Bullpen- Brad Ziegler (Closer), Kyle Barraclough, Junichi Tazawa, Jarlin Garcia, Drew Steckenrider, Nick Wittgren, , Justin Nicolino, Jumbo Diaz

C- Tomas Telis

1B- Justin Bour

2B- Starlin Castro

3B- Martin Prado

SS- JT Riddle

OF - Jon Jay, Dietrich, Rafael Ortega

Bench- Miguel Rojas, Garrett Cooper, Chad Wallach, Scott Van Slyke

Starting Pitchers- Dan Straily, Jose Urena, Adam Conley, Scott Feldman, Wei-Yen Chen

Bullpen- Brad Ziegler (Closer), Kyle Barraclough, Junichi Tazawa, Jarlin Garcia, Drew Steckenrider, Nick Wittgren, , Justin Nicolino, Jumbo Diaz

Feldman would be interesting.  I think Chris Tillman would be a smart as hell low key rotation signing too.  I might even consider giving him a 2 year deal at the right price if the medicals check out. He's been a damn good pitcher the past 5 years aside from whatever the hell happened last year.

Also, I know it would be smart to keep all of those guys down for a month, and I think they will with the OF's, but im having a hard time seeing them keeping Anderson down to start the year.

Feldman would be interesting.  I think Chris Tillman would be a smart as hell low key rotation signing too.  I might even consider giving him a 2 year deal at the right price if the medicals check out. He's been a damn good pitcher the past 5 years aside from whatever the hell happened last year.

Also, I know it would be smart to keep all of those guys down for a month, and I think they will with the OF's, but im having a hard time seeing them keeping Anderson down to start the year.

I don't disagree I just don't see them trading Prado though so where would anderson go? maybe Starlin in OF, Prado 2b, Anderson 3b

I don't disagree I just don't see them trading Prado though so where would anderson go? maybe Starlin in OF, Prado 2b, Anderson 3b

That's why i've been thinking they will trade someone before the year begins.  Because right now they have a logjam of mediocrity between 2b, 3b, and LF with Prado, Castro, Dietrich, and Anderson.  I guess the easy answer is to keep Anderson down until you get the extra year and that answers that, I just think its going to be hard to justify keeping every single guy down, and Anderson kind of proved last year that he's ML ready.  I see Prado kind of doing what he used to do for the braves as a super utility guy playing close to every day but just giving guys off days.(although now that i think of it i may be thinking of Omar Infante).

Also, our team is obviously not anything close to being good, but with the amount of veterans we have assuming we keep the guys until the deadline, aside from CF and RF that team isnt nearly the disaster people are making it out to be.

A potential lineup of

Jon Jay?, Prado, JT, Bour,  Castro, Dietrich, Cooper, Rojas/Riddle

Not good but its not close to what we were trotting out there in 2013.

And the rotation obviously isnt good, but if we dont trade anyone and sign a stopgap SP i think its also not nearly a disaster.  If Conley bounces back and Urena doesnt regress it could be decent.  Conley, Urena, Straily, Tillman/Feldman type, Chen for his annual 5 starts before putting off TJ surgery.

And the bullpen will actually be good.  Obviously it depends a lot on trades and when they occur and how much they put off bringing guys up till the service time deadlines, but i think theyll be closer to 70 wins than 60.  but im also a huge homer so who the fuck knows.

I think we're gonna trade JT, but just going off the understanding that we dont trade him until the deadline:

C- JT

1b- Bour

2b- Castro

SS- rojas

3b- Anderson

LF- Dietrich

CF- Jon Jay

RF- Cooper

Bench- Telis, Prado, Riddle, Van Slyke, Lee

SP's- Conley, Urena, Straily, Chen, Nicolino/Despaigne

RP- Barraclough, Steckenrider, Tazawa, Jarlin, Nicolino/Despaigne, Wittgren, Ziegler

I think it's been said that they are going to carry 4 on the bench and 8 in the bullpen.  

they'd be pretty dum to mlb those 3 OFers before may or whatever the deadline is to get another year control

I assume that will be the case.  However, as a fan, I would rather see the young guys as soon as they are ready.  It's much more enjoyable to watch young potential building blocks than washed up vets keeping the roster spots warm.  Even if we lose, at least we can see the young guys develop.  

I assume that will be the case.  However, as a fan, I would rather see the young guys as soon as they are ready.  It's much more enjoyable to watch young potential building blocks than washed up vets keeping the roster spots warm.  Even if we lose, at least we can see the young guys develop.  

that's incredibly short sighted and foolish.

You'd only have to wait a month, probably 2 months max. That's nothing considering that if the young guys do develop you basically gain an entire extra season of them. 

that's incredibly short sighted and foolish.

I don't know what your fucking problem is.  I did say as a "fan". I'm not criticising the Marlins or your hero Jeter.  As a fan I would rather not watch washed up or less talented players.  I want to see the best we have to offer. That's just my preference.  If holding those players down is what they decide to do , that's fine.  After all I'm not the one making decisions or paying them.  I'm still entitled to my own opinion or preferences.   I don't understand why you feel you have to try and defend Jeter at every corner.  In this case I wasn't even criticising him.  You're a condescending, arrogant, not it all prick.  Go fuck yourself and eat a tide pod while you're at.  How's that for short sided?    #WheresTheNearestWinnDixie?

You'd only have to wait a month, probably 2 months max. That's nothing considering that if the young guys do develop you basically gain an entire extra season of them. 

I get that.  I understand the process.  I'm not even advocating against it.  It's just hard to watch scrubs even for a month or two.  

Speaking of 25 man rosters, this article is talking about how the free agents on the market could field a team better than some teams and really digs into the marlins specifically-he called them “woebegone”. I feel like a real sportswriter would realize that bashing the marlins at this point doesn’t make you insightful, or funny, or cool. Yes, they’re obviously a shit show, you’re not smart. Check it out if you want, just my rant for the night lol

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/02/mlb-spring-training-free-agents-hosmer-moustakas-darvish-arrieta-martinez

“This year, if you squint, you can see the makings of a full-blown, competitive, 25-man MLB roster lingering in free agency. If no club were to sign any free agents before next week and the lot of them elect to go to their own spring training camp somewhere, and then MLB put its foot down and was all, “You know what? No. We’re contracting the Marlins as we knew them; you guys can be the Marlins now,” and the players partnered with a smart front office apt to optimize the talent available in their rogue camp, here’s how that team would look.”

C - Realmuto

1B - Bour

2B - Castro

SS - Rojas

3B - Prado

LF - Dietrich

CF - R. Ortega

RF - TBD Veteran Signing (Melky, Jay, etc.)

B - Wallach, Riddle, Van Slyke, Cooper

SP - Urena, Conley, TBD Veteran SP (Miley, Hellickson, Tillman, even Nolasco, etc.), C. Smith, Nicolino/Despaigne

RP - Barraclough, Steckenrider, Tazawa, Garcia, Wittgren, Nicolino/Despaigne, E. Hernandez, Camp battle Ellington/O'Grady/Jumbo Diaz

I think they will find takers for Straily and Ziegler, and decide to sit on the rest of the guys until a better deal comes along in June/July.

Brinson May 8th

D. Peters and Anderson May 15th

CF B. Lee

C   Realmuto

SS  Castro

1B  Bour

3B  Prado

2B  Dietrich

LF  Brinson

RF Sierra

P   Chen, Straily, Urena, Peters, Richards

BP  Steckenrider (CL) Barraclough, Wittgren, Conley, Garcia, Ziegler, Tazawa, Beltre

Jeter will want to put an entertaining, competitive team on the field to start the season. The speed of the three OF will excite fans. Castro back to SS is not necessarily the best defensive move, but vastly improves offense from the position. Getting Dietrich in the lineup is a huge upgrade over Riddle/Rojas types. The bullpen is even worse than the rotation - a work in progress. I expect to see Ben Meyer join the rotation and Merandy Gonzalez join the BP sooner than later. Can't see any point in signing any free agents.

• 3 weeks later...