Tampa Bay Rays Announce New Stadium Plans

rmc523

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/rays/2018/07/10/rays-reveal-ybor-city-stadium-details/

TAMPA — The Rays on Tuesday unveiled plans for an Ybor City stadium that has see-through sliding glass walls, a fixed translucent roof and is integrated into the neighborhood with an evolving design.

"It will provide a ballpark experience like no other," Rays executive Melanie Lenz said.

The estimated cost of the stadium and infrastructure is $892 million. The stadium cost is $809 million, and the roof is about $240 million of that.

As for arguably the biggest question of who is paying for what, team president Brian Auld said, "We don't have those answers yet."

Rendering for the field at the new Rays stadium in Tampa. (Rays)Rendering for the field at the new Rays stadium in Tampa. (Rays)

Principal owner Stuart Sternberg talked about the "ingenuity" involved in the design and seating concepts which include picnic, patio, table and fountain seating areas among others.

The stadium would seat 28,216 and, with standing areas, would hold 30,842, which would be the smallest in  Major League Baseball.

Stadium design officials said the idea of having the sliding walls is to "let the outside in and the inside out."

AR-307109691.jpg?MaxW=950%26cachebuster=629125&key=c6f0a77aa422c2878d039152d0118f1113f822e082d7e6ccdd89d6640ca3a873

NEws-Rays-2.jpg&key=a4735adbce02c3e05c5d4cf56f49663f0cae2b98327ff2a3753f8c3bf58a9bf9

New-Rays-3.jpg&key=6a25661c1eb6b864af1d4ae7fa9151fd84922ca29b227ad1bcbf54bd4ec45c72

Looks very nice.

I do wonder how that roof will play during day games, however.

Don't worry, they'll paint it black like they did the Astrodome in 1965.

For what it's worth, I get a very Marlins park vibe with all the glass and white concrete- the Blue Seats don't help. I wonder if it's the same design firm.

Heck, even the roof looks Loria-esque.

I was thinking the same thing too.

Looks like there's a ton of foul ground behind home plate too.

Got a feeling the foul ball area can be reduced later on- but to me... this looks like a organizational preference to build with pitching and defense and because of that it's huge.

It'll probably try to steal the local bowl games too- or atleast some of the smaller ones like Marlins Park once attempted.

Don't worry, they'll paint it black like they did the Astrodome in 1965.

For what it's worth, I get a very Marlins park vibe with all the glass and white concrete- the Blue Seats don't help. I wonder if it's the same design firm.

Heck, even the roof looks Loria-esque.

I think it was also done by Populous, the same firm that did Marlins Park (and has done a lot of other MLB parks).

I was looking for the CF shitty animatronic rays

The rays are cheap, they would rather pay $15k for live Rays that can die and feed them rather than the 1.5 M animatronic Rays.

Besides, I'm sure the owner Stuart Sternberg has a yacht he'll fish for new ones off of. Why pay for someone to do it when you can do it yourself.

This stadium will not be build, who's paying for? Tampa residents aren't as dumb as Miami residents

I think a stadium gets built, just not that one.

They'll be in Disney's Wide World of Sports soon enough and renamed the "Florida Rays" or some dumb shit.

What does this mean?

http://tampabay.rays.mlb.com/content/printer_friendly/tb/y2006/m12/d14/c1761067.jsp

That's from 2006-2008 they played games in Orlando.

The Braves are leaving "Champion Stadium" in 2020, and I'm sure Disney would like to renovate the park and draw a ML Team if they can get the Rays.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPN_Wide_World_of_Sports_Complex

Rays deal with St. Pete expires in 2027. I can see 2022 Disney Renovating the complex, and in 2026 it announced they'll be there in 2027.

By then Montreal, Las Vegas and Portland will be playing ML games anyway.

They will forever play games with San ANtonio and Brooklyn as far as a ballpark/team goes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.