2018 attendance on par with 2017?

SonOfJack

Surprised but not surprised. 

Not surprised because I knew last year's numbers were exaggerated but still surprised because even with the exaggerations by the previous ownership this year's crowded looked smaller by my own eyes every time I looked.

Also someone today told me we this year had the worst attendance since the 2004 Expos which is laughably bad, I wonder if that's true.

I sincerely dispute this claim and consider it patently false. I have been to just as many games last year as this year I can honestly say there were way more people in the stands last year than compared to the this year. Don't believe everything you read. 

The eye-test fails man. We must rely on numbers provided to us and ignore what our eyes see. From stats to attendance.

The eye-test fails man. We must rely on numbers provided to us and ignore what our eyes see. From stats to attendance.

And when the numbers are "adjusted" to suit the point we should still trust them?!? Sorry, I'll pass. Numbers were higher. Also, consider the source. How does Joe goes from pariah on this site to trusted?

And when the numbers are "adjusted" to suit the point we should still trust them?!? Sorry, I'll pass. Numbers were higher. Also, consider the source. How does Joe goes from pariah on this site to trusted?

I guess I wasn't clear somehow in that reply, I was being facetious.

I don't believe these numbers, hence the "?" in the thread title.

I wonder how many fewer people watched the games on TV this year? 

I'd imagine a bigger drop in TV ratings than in ballpark attendance. There are many who will still go out to watch a last place team at the ballpark because it's still fun to go watch an MLB game in person or as a family but it's waaayyyyy easier to not watch a losing team on TV in a season like this one. I know I still made it out to a few games this season but I definitely feel like I watched less games on TV because it's just easier to choose other options when you have your home and your other TV channels and also don't have tickets to a game that you're fairly committed to attending. 

Here were final 2017 ratings:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2017/10/10/here-are-the-2017-mlb-prime-time-television-ratings-for-each-team/#49ebc6c13799

2017 ratings (22k households, 1.32 rating) were down 30% over 2016 (~28.6k household estimate, 1.88 rating).

Here's 2018 ratings through July:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2018/07/19/prime-time-tv-ratings-for-each-team-at-the-mlb-all-star-break/#31cad4814c4f

Ratings for 2018 (through July) were down further - 19k households, 1.16 rating.

Interestingly enough, if I'm interpreting it right, at least as far as households go, we didn't drop as much from '17 to '18 as from '16 to '17.  So viewership didn't crater as much as I would've expected.

---

I know I went to 2 games this year, and never watched a full game on tv.  I'd maybe watch part of an inning or two here and there very sporadically.  The broadcast team didn't exactly make me want to tune in either.

Interestingly enough, if I'm interpreting it right, at least as far as households go, we didn't drop as much from '17 to '18 as from '16 to '17. 

Thanks a lot, Jose.

and never watched a full game on tv.  I'd maybe watch part of an inning or two here and there very sporadically. 

Yeah this was me A LOT this year. This or just having it on in the background while I do other things and never really stopping to watch more than an at bat here and there.