9/8 Post Game Thread

Michael

1 hour ago, taiwanmarlin said:

But most Marlins fans dislike his in game decisions…

Local sports fans believe they can manage better than professional coach? I'm shocked!

But seriously y'all, fans thinking the manager sucks is the oldest meme in human history; every fan base, even in New England, says the same, tired baloney. As recently as yesterday we had folks saying Mattingly was off his rocker for bunting, but upon further review, we saw it was a very defendable decision.

And where's his praise today for clever bullpen management in the shutout? Or his aggressive use of defensive replacements and pinch runners late in the game? I think a lot of managers wouldn't be bold enough to yank their gold-glove winning big free agent signing from the game to put in Lewis Brinson, but Donnie has got the whole team riding high on his vision for a playoff run.

Frankly, I'm exhausted from the Monday morning quarterbacking (not just here, but on Twitter and elsewhere). When shit goes wrong, folks blame the manager. But modern managers are making decisions as a team -- the bench coach, pitching and hitting coaches, the analytics data sticking out of Donnie's back pocket. Donnie has done a great job, but the focus of his job ain't the order of relievers coming out of the bullpen. That's almost decided by committee.

Donnie's done a great job because he's the manager off the field too, and only one other team has gone through the insanity the Marlins have off the field, and the Marlins have evidently come through it all even stronger.

Edited by Photo-Realistic Billy
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Manager of the Year is often based on the most overachieving team which usually has very little to do with in game decisions. 

I still think that the in game decisions- while the most visible- are not the only aspects of a manager that should be considered. Some of the off the field stuff matters and clearly Donnie has been good at motivating the team before games.

Edited by FishFan95
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Sports news on the radio this morning: "Congrats on the Heat advancing to the conference finals and Colin Kaepernick has been added as a playable character in Madden after a recent update... that's all for sports"

So a video game content update is more important to report than the Marlins defeating the first place Braves for the second day in a row behind their ace rookie of the year candidate pitcher?

See. It is not the national sports narratives that concern me. Our local sports coverage hates the Marlins.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

I still think that the in game decisions- while the most visible- are not the only aspects of a manager that should be considered. Some of the off the field stiff matters and clearly Donnie has been good at motivating the team before games.

Totally agree with this 

3 hours ago, FishFan95 said:

See. It is not the national sports narratives that concern me. Our local sports coverage hates the Marlins.

Hahaha. Yes. Not till the NLCS, do they slowly start noticing, and then the Marlins make the World Series and they act like they have been huge fans all year long following along with every pitch and every game since opening day! 😂

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, SirFishFan said:

Hahaha. Yes. Not till the NLCS, do they slowly start noticing, and then the Marlins make the World Series and they act like they have been huge fans all year long following along with every pitch and every game since opening day! 😂

"Y'know, Joe, with the Marlins up 8-2 with 2 outs in the 9th inning of this Game 7, I'm really starting to think they might have a shot to do something interesting this year. Now let's talk about that Yelich trade."

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

"Y'know, Joe, with the Marlins up 8-2 with 2 outs in the 9th inning of this Game 7, I'm really starting to think they might have a shot to do something interesting this year. Now let's talk about that Yelich trade."

"But we can't talk about that without mentioning the trades prior to and after that, including Giancarlo Stanton, Marcell Ozuna, and JT Realmuto.  They were just two pitchers away before entering a rebuild under new ownership."

Edited by rmc523
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

“Yes. But before we discuss that trade let’s talk about the Dolphins training camp today, Fitzpatrick took 3 snaps and had two interceptions, is it time to discuss having TUA take the lead this year? Plus we’ll discuss the Yelich trade and get to your calls, right after the break. *8 minutes of commercials*”

Meanwhile, Marlins won the WS. 😂

3 minutes ago, SirFishFan said:

“Yes. But before we discuss that trade let’s talk about the Dolphins training camp today, Fitzpatrick took 3 snaps and had two interceptions, is it time to discuss having TUA take the lead this year? Plus we’ll discuss the Yelich trade and get to your calls, right after the break. *8 minutes of commercials*”

Meanwhile, Marlins won the WS three days ago.  We haven't had time to cover it. 😂

Fixed that for ya.

Edited by rmc523
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

"But we can't talk about that without mentioning the trades prior to and after that, including Giancarlo Stanton, Marcell Ozuna, and JT Realmuto.  They were just two pitchers away before entering a rebuild under new ownership."

Imagine we win the World Series behind Sixto and Sandy and people say "See! The two pitchers we needed were Sixto and Sandy! They didn't need to trade everyone away, they just needed to get Sixto and Sandy!" 

• Sad 1