9/20 Game 2 Postgame

Magic numbers (team(s)):

Playoffs: 6 (PHI*)

Division 2nd place: 6 (PHI*)

Division 1st place: 11 (ATL-)

Games left: 7

Despite a higher magic number to win the east than games left the Marlins still control their destiny since they play Atlanta 4 more times.

* = Marlins clinched the tiebreaker

+ = Marlins lead the tiebreaker

- = other team leads the tiebreaker

-x = other team clinched the tiebreaker

Note that the magic numbers posted assume all respective teams play 60 games.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, FishFan95 said:

Magic numbers (team(s)):

Playoffs: 6 (PHI*)

Division 2nd place: 6 (PHI*)

Division 1st place: 11 (ATL-)

Games left: 7

Despite a higher magic number to win the east than games left the Marlins still control their destiny since they play Atlanta 4 more times.

* = Marlins clinched the tiebreaker

+ = Marlins lead the tiebreaker

- = other team leads the tiebreaker

-x = other team clinched the tiebreaker

Note that the magic numbers posted assume all respective teams play 60 games.

Why are the Giants and Brewers no longer mentioned here? 

1 hour ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

It's Mattingly's fault going with Neidert, down by four, absolutely despicable, giving that game away. 

Huh? Who should he have gone to when his starter didn't have it and his offense hadn't been able to put anything together yet? I would have thought Neidert was the right guy to go to if Garrett had to be pulled early. 

13 minutes ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Have any report about why Neidert didn't be the starter, I believe he's much MLB ready than Garrett. 

I don’t know for sure, but it might have something to do with Braxton’s first start, when he gave up 1 run, 3 hits and had six strikeouts in 5 innings..

Marlins maybe were hoping to see another solid performance today from him.. Unfortunately he had a rough time out there today, but still definitely has a lot of potential to be a good quality Marlins starting pitcher over the next few seasons, if that’s what the Marlins have in mind for him.

Edited by SirFishFan
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

Huh? Who should he have gone to when his starter didn't have it and his offense hadn't been able to put anything together yet? I would have thought Neidert was the right guy to go to if Garrett had to be pulled early. 

It was just a tease to SOTA.  

He went on a mini rant after the Boston series, comparing Mattingly to Matheny as worst managers because Quezada was called to relieve before Neidert, trailing by two in the 7th inning.

His managerial thinking was Quezada was a mop-up reliever and not Neidert, which may be true but nothing is guaranteed, today for instance, especially when both Quezada and Neidert are both rookies, who have pitched two scoreless innings apiece.  

I do agree with SOTA, Matheny is probably the worst manager and post Mattingly was probably runner up. But for some reason 2020 Mattingly is undoubtedly MOTY.

Edited by jeffreysfishfry
11 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Typical Marlins - beat one of the top pitchers in the league and then fall flat on their face against a rookie.

Tiny dose of reality though - we didn't even beat Scherzer ourselves. Both our runs were unearned. We scored 0 earned runs in 14 innings yesterday.

11 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Why are the Giants and Brewers no longer mentioned here? 

Since the magic number to clinch the 2nd division spot is now lower than the magic number to finish ahead of both the Giants and Brewers due to the tiebreaker with Philly. I imagine they will show up again this week, but for now I will only include the lowest bar for each spot.

10 hours ago, Michael said:

Tiny dose of reality though - we didn't even beat Scherzer ourselves. Both our runs were unearned. We scored 0 earned runs in 14 innings yesterday.

Yeah, I know, but still.