Marlins, Hill Parting Ways

On 10/21/2020 at 9:36 AM, rmc523 said:

The reality is we'll never know.  It's all so intertwined that we can't possibly know unless one of them comes out and goes line by line "this was me, that was him, this was him, etc. etc."

Believe it or not, Samson has done alot of this. Even admitted his own failings and what was Loria's problems. I know Samson gets alot of crap (rightfully so) for what he did here and what he's done in the media... but I will say hearing him talk about it I never once felt he was lying. Hes just naturally candid.

He's thrown "Jeffrey" under the bus enough to know that he isn't afraid to speak the truth. Loria 100% was involved in all those short sighted vet signings and trades and didn't value for a second prospects that weren't gaining acclaim as a top 100.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Piazza31 said:

Believe it or not, Samson has done alot of this. Even admitted his own failings and what was Loria's problems. I know Samson gets alot of crap (rightfully so) for what he did here and what he's done in the media... but I will say hearing him talk about it I never once felt he was lying. Hes just naturally candid.

He's thrown "Jeffrey" under the bus enough to know that he isn't afraid to speak the truth. Loria 100% was involved in all those short sighted vet signings and trades and didn't value for a second prospects that weren't gaining acclaim as a top 100.

yeah, i believe he even said he was at fault for a lot of the shortcomings as recently as when the fish officially made the playoffs.  I'm pretty sure he mentioned he sucked when he made his congratulatory tweet.

Mike Hill recently spoke to the Herald a little more in depth about how the Villar for Griffin Conine trade went down. He says he saw the Blue Jays had a need at second base and that the Marlins were able to ask for Conine and had enough leverage to stick to their demand because even though Villar was an expiring contract they were willing to keep him considering they were still in the playoff hunt. So there was no urgency to trading Villar, the urgency was on Toronto who needed a 2B asap and they eventually caved.

It's still crazy to even think about the Marlins ever having any type of leverage in trade talks. The narrative has always been our trades worked like an everything must go clearance sale so kinda cool to hear us in control for once.

• Like 4
On 10/30/2020 at 7:29 AM, SilverBullet said:

What about him? He's still with the White Sox

There were some rumblings in the area he was not happy with the hiring of LaRussa and may move on but that seems to have died down 

5 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Angels owes $651 million to four players, that's really a good challenge to a GM.

It would be telling if Hill was hired.  Hamstrung by $651 mill would allow him to  showcase how well he can manage in scouting and development.  Trouts contract dampens their spending.  Pujols has one year remaining, shredding a thin layer off.   They better get it right soon or Trout will have Pujols like seasons in terms of team success. 

2 hours ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

It would be telling if Hill was hired.  Hamstrung by $651 mill would allow him to  showcase how well he can manage in scouting and development.  Trouts contract dampens their spending.  Pujols has one year remaining, shredding a thin layer off.   They better get it right soon or Trout will have Pujols like seasons in terms of team success. 

Don't know the Angels have a pocket that as deep or deeper than the Dodgers and Yankees or not, but the baseball people seems always think they're a serious bidder to the big names all the time, they printing money by themselves !? By the way, the suck farm system of the Angels would be a tough work for the new GM, too. 

Edited by taiwanmarlin
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

It wouldn't shock me if Trout's contract ends up having some deferrals down the road so they can build around him.

If Hill gets hired there, he probably goes to immediately addressing the pitching staff. His last three years here had to be a great blueprint for what to do (or at least I hope it turns out that way). Zero chance they trade Trout of course like we had to with Stanton, but there are other options.

Of course, one of the big things for them could be signing a catcher who is great at game calling and framing. Imagine the Angels first signing is Yadi Molina? Just a couple years. Works with their pitchers and suddenly they improve just off of that.

4 hours ago, Michael said:

It wouldn't shock me if Trout's contract ends up having some deferrals down the road so they can build around him.

If Hill gets hired there, he probably goes to immediately addressing the pitching staff. His last three years here had to be a great blueprint for what to do (or at least I hope it turns out that way). Zero chance they trade Trout of course like we had to with Stanton, but there are other options.

Of course, one of the big things for them could be signing a catcher who is great at game calling and framing. Imagine the Angels first signing is Yadi Molina? Just a couple years. Works with their pitchers and suddenly they improve just off of that.

I agree with the idea of bringing in Molina. He has ties with Albert Pujols and would speed up the pitching development.  If that is the case maybe Hill could have a something to offer there.  No reason to bring in Molina if that isn't the plan.   They need to protect Trout with this concept or it's just another Pujols parody.

Trouts contract doesn't completely cause them to window shop. They just need to let the print dry on the bill a bit before they spend.  

This would be a great place to GM. They basically are the Dodgers but they build in FA while the Dodgers build and retain within the system. 

Edited by jeffreysfishfry
5 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Don't know the Angels have a pocket that as deep or deeper than the Dodgers and Yankees or not, but the baseball people seems always think they're a serious bidder to the big names all the time, they printing money by themselves !? By the way, the suck farm system of the Angels would be a tough work for the new GM, too. 

I think Hills time here has taught him a lot. I'm sure he seen it all, good and bad. If he does have the talent for talent he should do well.  What he put up with from Loria, I'm sure he could weather it in LA. 

Edited by jeffreysfishfry