Brandon Kintzler turns down Marlins offer for chance at more money

• SilverBullet changed the title to Brandon Kintzler turns down Marlins offer for chance at more money

Money is important but for a guy to turn down a major league contract for a minor league deal is ridiculous. And when he left the Marlins he spoke of how much he loved it here and would have liked to stay here, that sounds like BS now. I know he wasn't happy with the non-tender decision but that was a business move and the Marlins still wanted him back and still wanted to guarantee him a spot and to give him the closer's role again. To turn that down for an unguaranteed spot that he's gonna have to earn in a new organization is a little weird. Secretly hoping he doesn't make the team.

On the other side of the coin, smart move by the Phillies who need all the bullpen help they can get.

Just now, SonOfJack said:

I never felt confident with Kintzler in the game tbh. I would have been ok with him back as depth, but didn't really want him closing games

Yeah ... mostly the same here.

Just cause he has closer's experience and ended up as our closer last season doesn't immediately make him the best option.

Shoot probably should be Yimi.

But also just use the best arm(s) in the most important situations, I don't care what inning.

1 minute ago, Michael said:

Yeah ... mostly the same here.

Just cause he has closer's experience and ended up as our closer last season doesn't immediately make him the best option.

Shoot probably should be Yimi.

But also just use the best arm(s) in the most important situations, I don't care what inning.

He does have the higher k/9 numbers but Yimi is super homer-prone. He gave up 15 homers the year before with LA. But yeah I think right now it’s either him or bass who should alternate the 9th depending on who’s coming up

1 minute ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Lol, would he begging for Marlins to give him a minor league deal after the Phillies cuts him in the spring training ?

With how bad Philly's pen is, he'd have to have the worst spring in history to not make the team.

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Mish told you that ? 

Basically yes, Mish said they were gonna give him the closer's role again.

Kintzler wasn't the most reliable closer but he was experienced and successful and the Marlins bullpen can't afford to subtract experience and success which is why I thought bringing him back would have been the right move even if others got to close more than him.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

I should probably take back my earlier anger towards him. The wording of what went down sound a little insulting to the Marlins but Kintzler seemed like a good dude last year and there are always multiple factors involved in making a decision like this. The Marlins not picking up his option months ago gave Kintzler and his family an opportunity to look at all their options and they gotta go with what they feel is best for them. No need for hard feelings.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Let's just pray for it to happen …

Nah. I don't hold a grudge against him. I want him to fail if/when he pitches against us but I won't root for him to be out of a job. We had an option and we declined the option, giving him the chance to see what is out there.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Let's just pray for it to happen …

Of course there's always the chance he implodes. Countless relievers have a great year or two and then fall off the face of the Earth. Maybe we got the best of Kintzler and were lucky to move on. We shall see.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Of course there's always the chance he implodes. Countless relievers have a great year or two and then fall off the face of the Earth. Maybe we got the best of Kintzler and were lucky to move on. We shall see.

He is 36, going to turn 37 in August, so probably only has 1-2 years left as a solid Major Leaguer, or who knows, maybe he might retire after this season, and is trying to get as much money as possible before he’s done playing.

Turns out Matt Joyce is also signing a minor league deal with the Phillies! We made the playoffs in 2020 and they didn't so I'm sure their plan is to get all the available 2020 Marlins players and pray for the best.

• Haha 1