5/2 Marlins at Nationals - 1:05 pm

1 minute ago, SirFishFan said:

Have you guys noticed that this season the Marlins do not have a “Veteran leadership-type” guy on the bench like every season. Like a Wes Helms, Martin Prado, Placido Polanco, Curtis Granderson type of guy. Even last year, Joyce kind of filled that role.

Is this the first season that the Marlins haven’t had one of those type of players?

Garrett Cooper

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SirFishFan said:

Have you guys noticed that this season the Marlins do not have a “Veteran leadership-type” guy on the bench like every season. Like a Wes Helms, Martin Prado, Placido Polanco, Curtis Granderson type of guy. Even last year, Joyce kind of filled that role.

Is this the first season that the Marlins haven’t had one of those type of players?

I thought that was Miggys role

2 minutes ago, Michael said:

I'm not even really mad about that, he had it stolen.

He’s stealing that base for his personal stats pretty much. He should probably be benched for trying it and being called out, but we’re out of players so I guess he’ll play some more.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AeroFishOne said:

I am, it’s still a free out. Y’all know the one thing I can’t stand about the new marlins, if your not good at stealing don’t do it. We seem to lose more outs on the base paths than we get advantages.

Monte is good at stealing, though. He just had too much momentum. Maybe next time he starts his slide a short bit earlier.

7 minutes ago, Erick said:

Garrett Cooper

Maybe, but I could argue that he is only on the bench part time because of Aguilar and Duvall. But if Aguilar wasn’t here, he would most likely be playing every day. I talking more like the veteran late 30’s player who is about to retire but the Marlins sign him to be a leadership presence, but he mainly is just used for spot starts and pinch hitting like Wes Helms, Aaron Boone, Luis Gonzalez, Polanco, Prado, Lenny Harris and some others. Everyone the Marlins have on their roster that are veterans are practically everyday players, and the bench guys are rookies like Sierra and Devers, or guys like Brinson and Berti, but I don’t consider them veteran leadership-type players. Maybe in 3-4 years from now.

Actually, I just thought of someone. Sandy Leon, but that is dependent on if he stays on the roster after Alfaro comes back.

Edited by SirFishFan

1 minute ago, Erick said:

He’s stealing that base for his personal stats pretty much. He should probably be benched for trying it and being called out, but we’re out of players so I guess he’ll play some more.

I agree to an extent. I think he's just trying to impress and not necessarily pad stats.  I can't blame him for that even if it was ill advised. 

5 minutes ago, Erick said:

It's a three run game. I know we're not hitting Scherzer and he's going to finish this off, but it's not like it's a 15 run difference where it makes no sense to steal. Not stat padding.

2 minutes ago, Rydawg said:

I agree to an extent. I think he's just trying to impress and not necessarily pad stats.  I can't blame him for that even if it was ill advised. 

And again. He was easily safe until his momentum (and maybe Mercer's glove) took him off the bag.

Just now, Erick said:

Could’ve been 3-2 without Monte’s steal

That's not how this works and you know that's exactly not how this works. Just shut up at this point, you're finding any little thing to slander these guys.

Just now, Michael said:

That's not how this works and you know that's exactly not how this works. Just shut up at this point, you're finding any little thing to slander these guys.

The steal makes no sense in that situation. I don’t really care, and I don’t see how it’s slander when he obviously is not good. 

We’ve gone from Starling Marte to Monte Brinson, worst downgrade ever.

• Like 1

Just now, Erick said:

The steal makes no sense in that situation. I don’t really care, and I don’t see how it’s slander when he obviously is not good. 

We’ve gone from Starling Marte to Monte Brinson, worst downgrade ever.

The steal made sense. We were only down 3, still a game. It's simply because Monte did it you don't like it.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked