Cleveland Guardians (New Team Name)

Michael

I was rooting for Spiders, but not surprised they went this route.

I don't understand the announcement mid season.  Why wouldn't you wait until the day after the World Series?

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 1

Would have loved Spiders but Guardians is solid. So glad they stayed away from a rock and roll theme so that's a huge win there. I like that the logos still keeps the Indians colors and general look, though some wanted this to start a whole new color scheme to freshen up the abundance of navy and red in MLB. I like that the logos got some character to them as opposed to the very basic blocky stuff they previously had but they'll take some getting used to especially that one with the baseball in it. 

1 minute ago, SilverBullet said:

I like that the logos got some character to them as opposed to the very basic blocky stuff they previously had but they'll take some getting used to especially that one with the baseball in it. 

My first thought was of the Disney-era Angels logo.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Yea also the Wichita Wind Surge logos. The Guardians theme can be serious and show strength, they need to be careful to avoid cartoony stuff, it's a very fine line when it comes to wings. Large stone sculptures can be way too close to cartoon superheros but they're not the same. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Would have loved Spiders but Guardians is solid. So glad they stayed away from a rock and roll theme so that's a huge win there. I like that the logos still keeps the Indians colors and general look, though some wanted this to start a whole new color scheme to freshen up the abundance of navy and red in MLB. I like that the logos got some character to them as opposed to the very basic blocky stuff they previously had but they'll take some getting used to especially that one with the baseball in it. 

Yeah the winged G logo is the worst part of it.  The rest is ok, nothing great, nothing terrible - safe.

32 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

I for some reason keep thinking of Gatorade when I see it.

---

I liked the idea of Spiders, but understand why they went this way - and also they could always do Spiders as their city connect or something.

---

I feel like they could've used more imagery of the guardians themselves.

21 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

Not a fan. Is it a reference to something? I guess I don't really care so much because it is not my team.

8 minutes ago, hovertical said:

This was my first thought too - wtf is it referring to?

There are enormous guardian statues alongside one of the expressways there and they are nicknamed the Guardians of Traffic, so using those statues as inspiration the team is now The Guardians of the city of Cleveland. Basically making an identity out of a recognizable local landmark and making the team identity more about the city itself. 

It actually sounds a lot like the pitch for the City Connect stuff, "city before team".

16 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

There are enormous guardian statues alongside one of the expressways there and they are nicknamed the Guardians of Traffic, so using those statues as inspiration the team is now The Guardians of the city of Cleveland. Basically making an identity out of a recognizable local landmark and making the team identity more about the city itself. 

It actually sounds a lot like the pitch for the City Connect stuff, "city before team".

Guardians of Traffic sounds idiotic imo lol. To each their own I guess

23 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Spiders has more baseball history so I would have liked it and I don't care about the losing history, that's in the past. Again I'm just glad they stayed away from the forced rock and roll theme. This is better than that. 

I agree that it is better than the Rocks, but Spiders is way better than Guardians in my opinion.

43 minutes ago, hovertical said:

Guardians of Traffic sounds idiotic imo lol. To each their own I guess

I don't think that is meant to be a serious name, I think it's facetious. But the idea of the Guardians can be taken more seriously and that's what they're going for. The team name is not about the expressway, it's about the sculptures. 

36 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

I agree that it is better than the Rocks, but Spiders is way better than Guardians in my opinion.

Agreed. My guess is they liked that Guardians is more about the city and considering that all this change is from a big negativity surrounding them, a positive take to "unify the city" probably sounded appealing to them in the short term. 

Long term hell yeah Spiders was the way to go. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Michael said:

They couldn't go with Spiders because that's insensitive to arachnaphobes.

It would be like exposure therapy. It would actually help arachnophobes get over their fears much like Lucas the Spider on youtube.

5 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

I still wanted them to be Cleveland Rocks but not for the rock and roll HOF. But for actual rocks. It would be stupid but I like the name

If they were going to do a music inspired name, they should have gone with the Blues. First it is the team's original name, unlike Spiders which was a different team from Cleveland. Second, Rock music did adopt some elements from blues so there is a connection to rock and roll. Finally it would mean the the Ohio season series could get the extra nickname, the Reds vs Blues.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

If they were going to do a music inspired name, they should have gone with the Blues. First it is the team's original name, unlike Spiders which was a different team from Cleveland. Second, Rock music did adopt some elements from blues so there is a connection to rock and roll. Finally it would mean the the Ohio season series could get the extra nickname, the Reds vs Blues.

Plus most people who are stuck living in Cleveland probably have the blues

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.