Jump to content

Possible Salary Floor in MLB? Lowered Luxury Tax threshold?


Italian Marlins Fan
 Share

Recommended Posts

This would obviously have huge implications for the Marlins and all involved. I wouldn’t mind this. A luxury tax threshold is not technically a salary cap, as teams can pay a certain amount in monetary penalties if they go over the luxury tax. This IMO promotes more competitive spending in MLB, but still keeps the idea of a free market league without a cap (still would be only league in US without a hard cap I believe). Curious to hear other opinions on this. 

DF536F4F-FA0A-4912-BD7F-F3A6AFD9D918.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I know money =/= wins, but it theoretically can buy better players (or pay Marte for instance lol).   As a fan of a always well under $100M payroll team, I like the idea of a floor even if Jeter & co wouldn’t financially.

I get the cap at the upper end is a trade off from the league’s perspective, but I don’t see the union going for a reduced tax limit at all.   If anything, they’d want an increased one.

maybe a middle ground is a slightly increased tax limit with a lower floor (say 85M)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think a salary floor is a good idea, but I think $100M is too high.  A team can't do a legitimate rebuild at $100M.

Maybe if they worked something in where you had to designate your team as "rebuilding", and you get a 3yr break down to $70M, or something like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, cyoung said:

I think a salary floor is a good idea, but I think $100M is too high.  A team can't do a legitimate rebuild at $100M.

Maybe if they worked something in where you had to designate your team as "rebuilding", and you get a 3yr break down to $70M, or something like that.


they’re trying to avoid teams rebuilding/tanking altogether, so any rebuild designation is DOA.

 

id agree something in the 70-85M range seems reasonable though 

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

LOVE IT.

So much overdue.

Union will be ALL IN FOR THIS I feel.

You still have whats an effective soft cap and a hard floor.

Hell fucking yes.

With as much national revenue as these teams get, if they cant turn a profit on a 100 mil payroll they are fucking stupid.

 

Though I'd also love to see them force some better conditions for the minor leaguers.  That is even more overdue and players are jackasses for not mandating it out of tradition basically. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, rmc523 said:


they’re trying to avoid teams rebuilding/tanking altogether, so any rebuild designation is DOA.

 

id agree something in the 70-85M range seems reasonable though 

I think 70-85 is fair.

If there's a salary floor, which I fully support, I do think the luxury tax needs to be crippling, not jusy pennies - otherwise the Dodgers are just going to spend $350M/yr.

My reason for the 3yr rebuilding designation would be to obviously rid a team of bad contracts.  If that were an option, only allow it once every 10-12 years.  Otherwise you rebuild above the floor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, cyoung said:

I think 70-85 is fair.

If there's a salary floor, which I fully support, I do think the luxury tax needs to be crippling, not jusy pennies - otherwise the Dodgers are just going to spend $350M/yr.

My reason for the 3yr rebuilding designation would be to obviously rid a team of bad contracts.  If that were an option, only allow it once every 10-12 years.  Otherwise you rebuild above the floor.

 

Maybe don't do a rebuild designation/3 year full "waiver" to 70M each year you're talking about - could take your 10-12 year period idea and give all teams the ability to have a low floor of 70M once in that period, but 70M is the low point period for that year only, and it stair steps up each consecutive year back to the normal 85 floor?  i.e. a 4 year period would be 70-75-80-85....or 3 years could be 70-77.5-85.

 

 

Either way, I think the union will like the idea of a floor.  They won't like the idea of a cap (they want higher earnings).

Conversely owners may be ok with a floor, but won't want it to be too high (save money), and also would like a cap to keep spending limited (small teams), or prevent what you said - one team spending tons of money above and beyond.

 

I'm honestly surprised MLB's starting floor discussion point is 100M.  But I guess that's because they know cutting the cap down quite a bit will be an automatic no from the union.  Hence why I think the numbers even out lower for the floor and higher for the cap.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Das Texan said:

LOVE IT.

So much overdue.

Union will be ALL IN FOR THIS I feel.

You still have whats an effective soft cap and a hard floor.

Hell fucking yes.

With as much national revenue as these teams get, if they cant turn a profit on a 100 mil payroll they are fucking stupid.

 

Though I'd also love to see them force some better conditions for the minor leaguers.  That is even more overdue and players are jackasses for not mandating it out of tradition basically. 

The Marlins payroll total is about $58 million according to Spotrac. I wouldn’t mind an 80 million floor at a minimum. No rebuilding designation. No waiver. Just a floor. And have the luxury tax be $190 million. No Hard Cap. Teams can pay $80 million a year, plus additional money for players and infrastructure in Minor League Baseball. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...