Jump to content


Dirty slide? Yes or No?


SilverBullet
 Share

Recommended Posts

 

I don't consider this dirty at all. Voit was already in motion towards the plate and Stephenson got pulled into his way, Voit puts his foot down to attempt to touch home so he's clearly attempting to be safe instead of suddenly aiming towards a collision. And his hands being up were to protect himself from the catcher's helmet that his mouth is about to crash into. It's a split second reaction I think the hands were coming up to protect them both and it just happened to knock Stephenson silly but not an intentionally dirty slide.

The Reds are ridiculous for making this a big deal and Tommy Pham has very much taken it too far, another moron in the game I see. Toss a pitch into Voit's butt today and that would be fair and leave it at that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


oh Luke is wearing one for this either today or next week in Cincy, hopefully Luke just takes it and get his bag, as long as its not at his head.

 

Its stupid and Tommy Pham is just being Tommy Pham.  Wears it on his sleeve so cant hate on that, but he is who he is most of the time..

 

Not dirty btw. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think it was dirty.  We have to remember it's a split second move in real life, and I don't see any initial intent to just plow into the catcher.  If anything, from the angle at the end, you can see Voit turn/move even further left to get around him.

I see what you're talking about @marlinsmaniac, but I think the hands were more a protecting himself and also trying to "catch" Stephenson.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

I don't think it was dirty.  We have to remember it's a split second move in real life, and I don't see any initial intent to just plow into the catcher.  If anything, from the angle at the end, you can see Voit turn/move even further left to get around him.

I see what you're talking about @marlinsmaniac, but I think the hands were more a protecting himself and also trying to "catch" Stephenson.

Nah man, Luke was in control of that from the beginning, he knew what he was doing. Those split second moments maybe lead to an accidental clothesline, but not grabbing a dude’s head then basically shoving it off of you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Nah man, Luke was in control of that from the beginning, he knew what he was doing. Those split second moments maybe lead to an accidental clothesline, but not grabbing a dude’s head then basically shoving it off of you. 

Agree to disagree.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finally saw it. Definitely no intent there. Stephenson got in his way, Voit's feet kind of stuck in the ground and he's just a big dude and his arms came down. It happens. Sucks for Stephenson, but no intent.

And lol at Pham. "I know the owner of a gym who let me use his facilities. That's all I'm saying." Good for him to be ready to defend his teammate but it wasn't intentional.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Michael said:

And lol at Pham. "I know the owner of a gym who let me use his facilities. That's all I'm saying."

This was so bad. You can be upset at a guy and make veiled comments at retaliation on the field but to even imply anything off the field is so low. What an idiot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

This was so bad. You can be upset at a guy and make veiled comments at retaliation on the field but to even imply anything off the field is so low. What an idiot.

I'm sure if Voit was within earshot things would have been said a lot different.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, mystikol87 said:

His arms came downward with force that for me instinctively looked like possible intent.

Again, maybe cause his momentum changed due to his feet/legs digging into the ground during the slide.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, mystikol87 said:

His arms came downward with force that for me instinctively looked like possible intent.

So it's not at all possible that in a split second moment, he can't lower his own arms to get them in a protective position for himself?  And Stephenson is in the way at that point making it seem like Voit is trying to grab him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

So it's not at all possible that in a split second moment, he can't lower his own arms to get them in a protective position for himself?  And Stephenson is in the way at that point making it seem like Voit is trying to grab him.

I didn't say it's not possible, I said that for me my instincts were that it looked like it might have been intentional. I think it's possible that it was either way.

Stephenson ended up with a concussion, by the way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I know Stephenson ended up with a concussion, but that happening doesn't mean it was intentional.

 

We'll never know his intent, but I don't think it's clear cut 100% either way.

I didn’t say the concussion means it was intentional! But no one had mentioned it yet, so I wanted to add it to the thread.

I agree, it’s not clear cut.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

This was so bad. You can be upset at a guy and make veiled comments at retaliation on the field but to even imply anything off the field is so low. What an idiot.

I wonder if they have a history from when they were in the Cardinal system.  Quite possible.  Tommy rubbed a lot of guys wrong at times. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

I wonder if they have a history from when they were in the Cardinal system.  Quite possible.  Tommy rubbed a lot of guys wrong at times. 

Can't believe you'd talk this much shit. Tommy knows the owner of a gym that lets him use the facilities ... that's all I'm saying.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tommy Pham just misplayed a line drive into left field off the bat of Goldschmidt.

 

Goldschmidt better be careful. Tommy knows the owner of a gym that lets him use the facilities ... that's all I'm saying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...