Best/Worst Movies/Series this year

Daddy Dix

20 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Looks like Regal's is truly unlimited.  For my nearby theaters, I'd have to do "unlimited plus" which is $21.99/month.

A regular ticket is apparently $17.81 at a "non upgraded" theater (regular chairs), and $23-something at the new Dania Pointe one they built.

I mean if that's the case, it pays for itself with 1 or 2 movies.....may have to look into that.  Plus you can see whatever at any time even if you're not in love with the particular movie.

It's amazing. You also get 10% on concessions and free goodies every once in a while.

The movies are empty nowadays unless it's a big event like BP or Avatar. If you like nice low key evenings, there's nothing better. Theaters on average weeknights have less than 5 people in them. I've seen movies where I'm the only one watching. It's awesome 

• Like 2

I used to enjoy going to the movies as well until we got an oled tv a couple years back and now when we go to movies it 100% has to be an Imax screen because those seem to be the only ones that you don't lose detail in the darker scenes.  Some movies look so bad on the big screen they are almost unwatchable and then when you get home and buy/rent it it looks brand new now that you can actually see details in the dark.  This year's Thor was like that for instance. By the time we went to see it it was no longer on the IMAx screen and was on one of their normal screens and it looked like dogshit but it was a pretty decent watch here at home.  We almost walked out on the last Resident Evil it was so hard to discern anything on screen. so yeah, we almost never go see movies in theaters anymore.

Someone above mentioned 'Nope' as being bad.  I found the movie to be.....odd but pretty good overall and it just missed being an honorable mention.  Now, that movie starts off a little slow but man...the middle of that movie is...*chef's kiss...then the ending is...well pretty awful when the creature is 'fully' revealed - it looks so utterly ridiculous it really almost ruined the movie for me the first time through. 

But...

I watched it again when it came out on disc.  I knew it used a lot of surround sound/atmos sound from when i saw it in the theater (yep,in Imax as said above) so i was stoked to check it out on the home rig and i actually didn't hate the ending as much - maybe because i already knew it was such a letdown so it didn't bother me as much overall and ruin the rest of the movie?  Interestingly, my wife saw it for the first time here at home and she had the EXACT same reaction i had the first time i saw it by myself at the movies.  I think those of you that didn't like it mostly for the ending should give it another chance.

17 hours ago, Entendu said:

1. Pearl

2. The Menu

3. Fall

4. Nope

I go to the movies a lot. These are the ones that stood out, that I can remember.

was Pearl the 'prequel' to X?  or tied to it somehow?  I haven't seen either but i've seen a LOT of people who like Pearl on the horror subreddit i follow.  I see that Mia Goth is in each of them so I was hoping someone here had seen Pearl and could verify that for me.

Fall irked the hell out of me for some reason.  I really loved how it looked though i just had an awful time liking or care about either of the characters though which hurt it a little bit.  Still, the sense of height and constant metal groaning and jangling was fun! 

4 minutes ago, Entendu said:

It's amazing. You also get 10% on concessions and free goodies every once in a while.

The movies are empty nowadays unless it's a big event like BP or Avatar. If you like nice low key evenings, there's nothing better. Theaters on average weeknights have less than 5 people in them. I've seen movies where I'm the only one watching. It's awesome 

I have the regular reward stuff, and just found out that I had thousands of points that expired in the last few days....oh well.

2 hours ago, hovertical said:

was Pearl the 'prequel' to X?  or tied to it somehow?  I haven't seen either but i've seen a LOT of people who like Pearl on the horror subreddit i follow.  I see that Mia Goth is in each of them so I was hoping someone here had seen Pearl and could verify that for me.

Fall irked the hell out of me for some reason.  I really loved how it looked though i just had an awful time liking or care about either of the characters though which hurt it a little bit.  Still, the sense of height and constant metal groaning and jangling was fun! 

Yup it's a prequel. Mia Goth has the leading role in both, but she plays different people in each.

It's a great horror movie. A ton of memorable scenes. I recommend watching both but Pearl is light years away from every other horror movie I've seen this year 

8 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Indiana Jones - I'm torn on this one because the last one wasn't that great, but the trailers have looked good

Agreed but I'll give this one a chance because sometimes when a sequel is so bad and they still do another one it's almost like they know how bad the last one was and so the next one will purposely do things differently. I get that feeling about this Indy movie, that they'll try to do the franchise justice again.

9 hours ago, hovertical said:

Midnight Mass was my #1 favorite thing I saw in 2021 by a wide margin. 

I saw it and didn't hate it but was so taken out of it by so much long and boring dialogue. It would get going and then someone speaks and I feel like I'm multiple minutes into their speech and I lose the moment and I start clicking the screen seeing how many minutes this thing has gone. Just felt like there could have been some condensing of the dialogue to improve the flow of the show. It just dragged so much. And then there were points where it was like almost too religious. I get the plot and yes it's entirely based off of religion but almost felt like I was really in church instead of watching a show? Not sure if that makes sense.

Anyways my wife saw me watching that one without her and she asked me if I would recommend it to her and I said we'll I'm only in like the 2nd episode and it's been really dragging but I'm not sure let me see more of it. The other day she asked me if I would recommend it now that I finally finished it and I was like umm I still don't know if I'd recommend it cuz it was fair but had issues and my wife is less patient than me with boring shows so ultimately I said no I can't recommend it to her. 

Something was just missing there in the execution of it. 

My daughter loves dinosaurs so my wife entered an Instagram contest for free tickets to some dinosaur live show for kids, she didn't win the tickets but was picked to receive a free copy of Jurassic World Dominion on Blu Ray. I hated the movie so much I don't even want a free copy of it. I saw it with my son and he hated it too so I purposely gave him the copy as a joke. He said get that crap outta here. Well now I've got this shit and have no purpose for it and won't open it so there's only one next logical step... I gave it to my son as a birthday gift this year, he still didn't want it... so then I gave it to him as a reward for doing awesome in his middle school band concert, though he still didn't want it... and so last week I gave it to him as a Christmas gift but for some reason he still didn't want it.

At this rate my hope is to one day give it to him as a gift at his wedding reception. 

• Haha 1

Other great things I saw this year:

Dead To Me

Behind Her Eyes

Hush

Daredevil

Jessica Jones

God awful movie, one of the worst things I ever seen, couldn't even finish it cuz it was so bad:

Don't Look Up 

Someone told me it was hilarious. I'll never trust that person again. I get the running gag of the movie and the humorous message it's telling you about our stupid ass society but it was so poorly executed, I didn't laugh once. So bad. 

29 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Other great things I saw this year:

Dead To Me

Behind Her Eyes

Hush

Daredevil

Jessica Jones

God awful movie, one of the worst things I ever seen, couldn't even finish it cuz it was so bad:

Don't Look Up 

Someone told me it was hilarious. I'll never trust that person again. I get the running gag of the movie and the humorous message it's telling you about our stupid ass society but it was so poorly executed, I didn't laugh once. So bad. 

I felt the same way about Don't Look Up. It was like it was trying so desperately hard to be this super slick take that it was forced and utterly boring. 

12 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

My daughter loves dinosaurs so my wife entered an Instagram contest for free tickets to some dinosaur live show for kids, she didn't win the tickets but was picked to receive a free copy of Jurassic World Dominion on Blu Ray. I hated the movie so much I don't even want a free copy of it. I saw it with my son and he hated it too so I purposely gave him the copy as a joke. He said get that crap outta here. Well now I've got this shit and have no purpose for it and won't open it so there's only one next logical step... I gave it to my son as a birthday gift this year, he still didn't want it... so then I gave it to him as a reward for doing awesome in his middle school band concert, though he still didn't want it... and so last week I gave it to him as a Christmas gift but for some reason he still didn't want it.

At this rate my hope is to one day give it to him as a gift at his wedding reception. 

LOL that's good 

Yeah that movie sucked. I hated how quickly they got from place to place. One moment they're on one side of the park, the next they're showing up at the other to help someone out. 

3 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

Wtf took you so long?

Wasn't as deep in the superhero stuff when they originally came out but always had Daredevil on the backburner as something to watch but also since it had multiple seasons sometimes I wait longer on those as opposed to a single short season that I can knock out in a weekend, so I kept pushing it aside.

Now that I'm balls deep in the MCU and getting confirmation that Daredevil is now part of the MCU it was finally time to do so and so this past summer break I aggressively watched every one of those Netflix Marvel shows. Daredevil I knew was good, Jessica Jones I had no clue and was stunned at how much I loved it. The other shows I know are lesser but watching them as intently as I did and back to back to back made them quite enjoyable. It was a heck of a fun 2 months for me, though one might be embarrassed at how quick I was able to go. I was doing 6 to 8 episodes a day at times. 

2 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Wasn't as deep in the superhero stuff when they originally came out but always had Daredevil on the backburner as something to watch but also since it had multiple seasons sometimes I wait longer on those as opposed to a single short season that I can knock out in a weekend, so I kept pushing it aside.

Now that I'm balls deep in the MCU and getting confirmation that Daredevil is now part of the MCU it was finally time to do so and so this past summer break I aggressively watched every one of those Netflix Marvel shows. Daredevil I knew was good, Jessica Jones I had no clue and was stunned at how much I loved it. The other shows I know are lesser but watching them as intently as I did and back to back to back made them quite enjoyable. It was a heck of a fun 2 months for me, though one might be embarrassed at how quick I was able to go. I was doing 6 to 8 episodes a day at times. 

Daredevil, Jessica Jones and The Punisher were at the top for me all close on how much I enjoyed them.

Luke Cage was next tier down.

And then Iron Fist was below that tier.

The Defenders series where they teamed up was pretty good too.

49 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Daredevil, Jessica Jones and The Punisher were at the top for me all close on how much I enjoyed them.

Agreed but I'd lower Punisher down just cuz I loved him so much when he was in daredevil so I was excited for his own series but it was a bit of a drag and not as good as his Daredevil season so I was disappointed greatly in his own show. By the end the whole series was solid but individually the episodes weren't as good as anything he did in Daredevil. Less intensity. They had to slow down his story to tell it fully and that took away from it for me.

52 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Defenders surprised me on how much I enjoyed it. It helps that it was a short series cuz it was like a quick wham bam more energetic fun take considering the other series are more grounded and drawn out, Defenders was like watching all these characters in a fun Saturday morning special so to speak. 

1 hour ago, SonOfJack said:

Are they making a sequel?

I heard it was being considered but not confirmed. 

I'll assume yes because DC is trying to find some footing and Batman is so popular they'll attempt a sequel regardless of what people thought of the first one.

Plus let's be honest we're criticizing it here but many people insist it was great and it had a shit load of positive reactions as well.

1 minute ago, SilverBullet said:

I heard it was being considered but not confirmed. 

I'll assume yes because DC is trying to find some footing and Batman is so popular they'll attempt a sequel regardless of what people thought of the first one.

Plus let's be honest we're criticizing it here but many people insist it was great and it had a shit load of positive reactions as well.

I figured with the new DC heads (Gunn and the other guy), they'd scrap Batman and start it over like they are doing with the other heroes.

1 minute ago, SilverBullet said:

Batman gets rebooted so many times though. It's too often. It's crazy how many Batman franchises have happened in the last 40 years alone. There's never enough time between each franchise for people to feel like they need a new one. 

True it's more confusing currently because Affleck is in The Flash which comes out next year so there are technically 2 Batmans right now. Though that is Affleck's final performance as Batman.

15 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

This is why I was thrilled to see y'all thought it was trash too! I work with a guy who genuinely believes it to be the best Batman movie of all time and he'd probably list it as his favorite movie of this last year. Until this board, I'd yet to find someone else who didn't love it.