Best/Worst Movies/Series this year

hovertical

Just now, SonOfJack said:

I just watched a Russell Crowe movie from 2022 called "Poker Face" and I want my 1.5 hours back. What a colossal waste of time. They got me with the description, but what a bomb.

Russell Crowe looks more and more like John Goodman before Goodman dropped all those pounds.

1 minute ago, SonOfJack said:

I just watched a Russell Crowe movie from 2022 called "Poker Face" and I want my 1.5 hours back. What a colossal waste of time. They got me with the description, but what a bomb.

I saw a better movie the other night called "Poke Her Face", only had to watch for a couple mins though but it was worth it.

• Banana 1

Just now, hovertical said:

Russell Crowe looks more and more like John Goodman before Goodman dropped all those pounds.

Well he seems to be signing his name to anything now. I figured it had a chance of being good with him as the star and the plot they described. But it was one of the worst movies I ever saw.

4 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

I like it for the most part and I'll keep watching when it returns. I do think it is overrated though.

2 minutes ago, hovertical said:

I absolutely HATED it the first time I watched it. I made it to about episode 5 or so when it first came out. Then this year I tried watching again at the insistence or so many people and I enjoyed it a lot more. I think season 2 is the best of the lot but it's worth watching overall imo. It's nothing groundbreaking and some of the themes do get a little tiresome because they beat it to death but I thought it was decent overall.

Interesting. This actually makes me want to watch it more that it's not unanimously good as now I'm curious how I'd take to it. Might move it up my list. 

How about Last Seen Alive on Netflix? Interesting to see the mystery unfold as those types of plots help keep you invested but by the end its like eh that wasn't really that good. I guess those movies are about the journey and the solution doesn't always have to deliver. 

1 minute ago, SilverBullet said:

How about Last Seen Alive on Netflix? Interesting to see the mystery unfold as those types of plots help keep you invested but by the end its like eh that wasn't really that good. I guess those movies are about the journey and the solution doesn't always have to deliver. 

I haven't tried that yet. I have a huge backlog of stuff I need to watch and you people have been adding to it. Yes @Michael I said you people.

5 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Oh I was given a recommendation to see Bullet Train and I couldn't even finish it. So not entertaining. I'm sure some would like it but that's a whole different type of whacky shit, a completely different style of silly sensory overload that I just can't get into.

And that's saying something from me because I consider Dumb and Dumber my all time favorite movie. 

Yeah I’ve been mixed on watching that one.

Didn’t have a desire to see it in theaters but now that it’s on Netflix, I may check it out.

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

The Boys on Amazon Prime anyone? Haven't watched it but have two friends who swear by it. 

I’ve enjoyed the series, though it definitely is….different.

1 hour ago, SonOfJack said:

I know we have some Dwayne Johnson haters here, but the movie "Red Notice" with Gal Gadot, Ryan Reynolds and DJ was good. I forget if that was a 2022 movie or not.

My mom enjoyed it but I haven’t seen it.

2 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

I know we have some Dwayne Johnson haters here, but the movie "Red Notice" with Gal Gadot, Ryan Reynolds and DJ was good. I forget if that was a 2022 movie or not.

My wife and I would beg to differ.  We didn't like that movie at all and were sad we spent 2 hours of our life watching it - and i love to ogle Ms. Gadot.

22 minutes ago, hovertical said:

My wife and I would beg to differ.  We didn't like that movie at all and were sad we spent 2 hours of our life watching it - and i love to ogle Ms. Gadot.

You and your wife have very similar taste in shows/movies I am noticing. I’m jealous of that.  It seems like it would make it much easier to choose things to watch. 

4 minutes ago, hovertical said:

Nobody else watched 1883 eh? Man, y'all missing out! Waaaaaaaay better than Yellowstone.

I hate that they did the whole first episode on TV but to watch the rest, sign up for our streaming service approach.

Yea I haven't watched Yellowstone or 1883 but apparently that's the point, that they're good enough to make you change your mind on westerns. 

Still don't plan to watch them though. 

I too have a backlog of stuff I'll never finish. I'm too quick to add to my lists based on reading the short descriptions on the screen. I kinda know I'll never get to them all but my thought is if it's on the list at least I won't forget about it to maybe get to it later. If I don't add it then I know I'll never remember to see it. 

2 hours ago, hovertical said:

I enjoyed it for what it was and the twist was fun at the end.

2 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

Is that paramount?  It’s at least one of the better streaming services. 

Yes.   I like Star Trek and need to catch up on all those, and I’ve enjoyed Yellowstone, so I’m sure I’ll get it at some point.

11 hours ago, Michael said:

Wow so you hate America?!

I know what he means though too as I don't like them either. 1883 was just... different though for some reason. It didn't necessarily follow the same tropes and the cinematography was absolutely breathtaking. Gorgeous gorgeous series. I've watched Yellowstone and we started watching the other spinoff 1923 and neither are nearly as good as 1883 is. 

Also, both 1883 and 1923 are on Paramount+ but Yellowstone is on Peacock because Paramount sold the broadcast rights to Yellowstone before they had a streaming service haha.