Everything posted by champkind
-
If and this is a huge if....
I'm in... Can I play Uggla? Chuck Norris will be playing the role of Uggla
-
Johnson impressing in rotation battle
I wonder if Penny's advice included "Try working out and actually staying in shape" and "Don't assume you've made it until you've actually put together a full season of success"
-
Barry Bonds
I am shocked that with everything that has happened there are some people who actually doubt Bonds used steroids. It is stunning. It's starting to become like the Chapelle skit where he is a jury member against R. Kelly. The only argument for a Bonds apologist's is the whole it wasn't against baseball rules/everybody else did it/steroids don't help you hit a baseball...etc garbage. Bonds would have never flourished after age 35 putting up seasons that propelled him into the "greatest hitter ever" debate and he certainly would not have shattered the home run record. He would have deteroriated in his late 30's like any other player. Bonds did not need steroids to ever get in the Hall of Fame. He will still end up there. But his cheating will forever taint his last few sesons, his 73 HR run record, and any discussion that puts him ahead of players like Mays, Mantle, DiMaggio, Ruth (and I hate the MFY's), Teddy Ballgame is ridiculous.
-
Former Red Sox prospect Ramirez steals show against old club
Shadez was just doing the things that Shadez does. I must admit that in all of our trades, Hanley was the one guy I thought we were absolutely buying high. He was, to me, the most likely of these top prospects to never live up to the hype. And I was ok with this for some reason. I figured we acquired two high end pitching prosects in Anibel and Petit, a solid if not spectacular hitter in Jacobs, two young and might end up being great guys in Gaby Hernandez and Ricky Nolasco, and a bunch of secondary players where maybe 2-3 might develop into 2nd tier bullpen/bottom of the order guys. Now I am starting to think of the wonderful possiblity of Hanley Ramirez being a stud- a guy worthy of his "top prospect" billing. With our one day trade of a kick ass CF, Hermedia and Cabrera, Jacobs and Hammer, plus hanley....holy $hit we could have one hell of an offense very soon. And I haven't even mentioned the roundhouse kicks Dan Uggla is going to drop on people. You've got to love the hope that spring brings.
-
MaverickBall's Top 30 Marlins Prospects
I read in the initial report that it was Lastings or Petit but the Marlins liked Petit more and that the deal woulf have stayed the same If the Marlins could have had Lastings and Jacobs then they are fools. I don't want to ever know for certain that this was true because i will be pissed for years. I do like Petit but there is so much more risk/downside with him as opposed to Lastings who seems to be as much of a sure thing as any hitting prospect in the majors. I'm getting sick just thinking of this. I will never respect Admin B again if this proves true. Oh well, prove me wrong Petit! Avenge me boys, avenge me!!!
-
Barry Bonds
Are there really people who don't believe Bonds had been using serious amounts of multiple steroids/growth hormones? Are you kidding me? Bonds had himself set for a Hall of Fame career with his Pittsburgh/early San Fran days. But his late 90's explosion was obviously fueled by steroids. He went from being a top player in the game who was set to be considered one of the best OF's of the last 50 years to a few seasons that are statistically ranked among the greatest of all time. And these last ridiculously productive seasons would have never happened without steroids. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.
-
Another Gathright article
Josh Johnson for Gathright. I wouldn't trade Nolasco. Look at his stats and all the scouting reports. The man is going to be a beast. We already have a beast!
-
MaverickBall's Top 30 Marlins Prospects
That's the most i've heard about the specifics regarding the $$$$. I do like the Psomas throw in as well.
-
MaverickBall's Top 30 Marlins Prospects
then again champ, there's that chance that Lastings doesnt become anything just sayin Ofcourse anything is possible...his 6th tool is definitely not his winning personality, from what i've heard. But Lastings in CF next to jeremy? That would be regoddamndiculous. Oh well we can't do anything about it now. I sure as hell hope jacobs and petit prove me wrong and go chuck norris on mlb.
-
Mitre Looks Perfect for Starting Job
Hopefully Megrew's arm gets back into game shape ASAP. I don't know how he projects, but it's always nice to have a free lefty that could pan out as an average player. Not so fast...wouldn't the best case scenario for him to be nearly recovered but spend a while on the DL so we don't have to return him or waste a spot on the 25 man roster? :mischief2 Can you do that with Rule V picks? Stash them on the DL all year that is? If so then picking up Megrew? was very shrewd indeed.
-
Reese terminated
In regards to Tony Graffanino who is also mentioned in the article, the Red Sox are trying to find him a home where he can get significant playing time. He would seem to be a better fit than Reese, and considering we won't be paying Pokey $800k, Graffanino's $2.05 million is more like $1.25 million (additional). Graffanino can play 2B-SS-3B which could be invaluable and provide Girardi with a myriad of options, and he certainly hit well last season. Earlier in the off-season, when it wasn't yet apparent how deep the sell-off would become I had suggested with Gozalez going into free agency and Castillo due a big chunk of dough in both salary and bonus, that replacing the two with Graffanino and Grudzielanek might make for a less expensive but still talented tandem in the middle of the infield. I still like Tony and if the Marlins do acquire him, I believe he'd be a valuable asset. He's going somewhere, might as well be here. I agree with you 100%. He'd be a great addition. Good call. Since we are basically sitting on the lowest payroll ever in the modern era I think we could handle this one, last quality pickup. Would this even put us over 20mill?
-
MaverickBall's Top 30 Marlins Prospects
show me Yusmeiro Petit!!!!!!!!!!!! This guy fascinates me. We will look like fools if neither he nor Jacobs develops into a big time player because as everybody knows we could have had Lastings. I can only assume we were getting Lastings only for Delgado and instead chose to get two quality players instead of one stud. Anyways, nice write up on our boy Yusmerio...good stuff.
-
Reese terminated
Two words- crack
-
MaverickBall's Top 30 Marlins Prospects
Yes Ramp you do owe us. :mischief anyway, last 6 should be up soon.... they would be up now but I have 3 midterms and a paper due this week :o Get your priorities in order slacker!! Midterms shmidterms. Show me some Volstad baby. :lol VolStud* :mischief Well done sir. VolStud indeed. What's with my "jammer" status. That sounds a little gay. Whammy?
-
MaverickBall's Top 30 Marlins Prospects
Yes Ramp you do owe us. :mischief anyway, last 6 should be up soon.... they would be up now but I have 3 midterms and a paper due this week :o Get your priorities in order slacker!! Midterms shmidterms. Show me some Volstad baby.
-
B.A. Prospect Handbook Came Out Today
Dan Uggla #29? That make Uggla angry! Uggla smash! And you wouldn't like Dan Uggla angry!
-
MaverickBall's Top 30 Marlins Prospects
It's official- The Beast is now my favorite Marlin. There's a rumor going around that Dan Uggla's tears cure cancer. Too bad he's never cried.
-
Girardi coming up on the radio
He does have a great attitude! I was hoping Joe would ask him about the on-field celebration comments but he didn't. I have to say his enthusiasm sounds very sincere. I only caught a couple of minutes of the interview but it was hard not to be excited listening to him talk. He does seem to have a natural enthusiasm which should resonate well with the players. I've made a few "get a haircut hippie" posts in response to the infamous hair policy. Truth be told, I generally think it's silly to tell grown men (or atleast anyone over 18) what to do in regards to trivial matters like hair and I thought his "no celebration" comment was ridiculous. BUT...given the choice between someone who is no nonsense and one who is too laidback i'd take the no nonsense everytime. I think he is going to be an excellent fit with this team and has a great managerial career ahead of him. Guys will hustle and do things "the right way". Plus he seems like he could kick ass Chuck Norris style which is good for 5-6 wins by itself.
-
2006 Slogan Contest - Round 4
I will ride my own True Fans Never Die til I can ride it no longer. That was my inital choice and remains the best of the bunch.
-
Funky Catch in Alex Gonzalez' Contract
For whatever reason, he fell farther and faster than any player i can remember in the last 10 years. Sammy Sosa? Yeah good point. Although Sammy's decline was more slow and subtle until the last final dropoff. Whereas for me, Lowell's 2005 was completely unexpected especially since i didn't even realize how bad his 2nd half of 04' was.
-
Crisp agrees to $2.75 million, one-year deal
Should we have traded Olsen for Coco? I certainly don't want Olsen traded for someone like Gaithright. Proably Jeremy Reed. But I would have traded Olsen for him without a doubt. Can't believe the Indians wouldn't have done it. They've already got offense and Olsen is not a prospect at Marte's level but he's pretty close (top 5-10 prospect versus top 20-30) Am I crazy?
-
Funky Catch in Alex Gonzalez' Contract
Who else do the Red Sox think they can get? Ever heard of a trade? I do think the Sox are very content with A-Gon being our starting shortstop throughout the season. Boston has a very nice defensive infield now, with the pitchers they have and the power they still have, I like Boston a million times more then I like the Yankees in AL. EAST...though everyone tries to tell me diffrent When Lowell and Gonzo both put up .250/.330/.400 type numbers, that defense won't mean dick. They're both black holes offensively and defense is extremely overrated. Between those two, Pierre and LoDuca its amazing we had any offense last year. That had to be the easiest 4 outs in baseball and completely killed the two monster seasons Delgado and Miguel put up last year. When susposedly great defense is matched with patheticly anemic offense it is overrated. I bet Lowell doesn't get 60 starts. I will be stunned if any has any semblance of a comeback in Boston. For whatever reason, he fell farther and faster than any player i can remember in the last 10 years.
-
Beckett - #19
lowell maybe wants a fresh start He needs it.
-
Samson Speaks
4th or 5th? The Marlins will have the first pick in the draft next year because the only thing that separates this team from the 2003 Tigers is Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis. This will be a horrible team. Even the year the Marlins won the World Series no one even went to the games until mid-September. I think they should have signed more players to minor league contracts that actually have major league talent......but they didn't. R Ferry......you are naive to think the Marlins are gonna be a champ in a couple of years. Dude why do you even post on this site? Do you like this team at all? I guess there is a place for fans of other teams at this site, but it seems like you have no other purpose but to antagonize every fan in here. And to top it off you combine your lack of social graces with an even bigger lack of baseball knowledge. If you think the Marlins made bad trades that's fine. But this team does have significant young talent and while 2006 will have its share of rough moments it will also have many moments where these young players show why they are so highly regarded throughout baseball. We have seen our team win two World Series. We have seen our team develop many outstanding players. And now we have seen our team make the decision to trade many of our favorite players for prospects which has been routinely mocked this offseason as a firesale. But it is incredibly naive on your part to not recognize the enormous collection of talent we now have at both the major and minor league levels. The Marlins are in as good a postion as anyone to win big in a couple of years as anyone. To completely deny this just makes you look foolish. Without a 100+ million budget how else should a team ever make a run? And spending big bucks is no guarantee. I'll take our chances to win big in a few years against anyone including any of the teams with the top 5 payrolls. Continue to spew your ignorant venom if you like. As The Dude would say, "That's like your opinion man".
-
MLB expected to take role in search
15 million in design plans? yeah right No doubt! It has gotten to the point that i literally do not believe anything Sampson says. Little weasel.