Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Malman

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Malman

  1. Just got back...what a game. (Thanks Fish4Life!) Proud to be a Marlin fan. It was so nice to shut up those stinkin' Met fans. I implore everyone to get out to the ballpark. This team is a joy to watch. 100% effort all around. Let's keep it going boys! :thumbup
  2. Unf***ingbelievable... Judge: Sex offender too short for prison Prosecutor vows to appeal 10-year probationary sentence Friday, May 26, 2006; Posted: 1:26 p.m. EDT (17:26 GMT) Richard W. Thompson, who stands at 5-feet, 1-inch tall, faced 10 years in prison. LINCOLN, Nebraska (AP) -- A judge's decision to sentence a 5-foot-1 man to probation instead of prison for sexually assaulting a child has angered crime victim advocates who say the punishment sends the wrong message. But supporters of short people say it's about time someone recognizes the unique challenges they face. Cheyenne County District Judge Kristine Cecava issued the sentence Tuesday. She told Richard W. Thompson that his crimes deserved a long prison sentence but that he was too small to survive in a state prison. Though he could have been sentenced to 10 years behind bars, he ended up with 10 years of probation instead. On Thursday, the state's attorney general, Jon Bruning, promised to appeal within two weeks, calling the sentence far too lenient. "I'm concerned about the message this sends to victims and perpetrators," said Marla Sohl with the Nebraska Domestic Violence Sexual Assault Coalition, adding that it shows more concern is being placed on the criminal and his safety in prison than the victim. But Joe Mangano, secretary of the National Organization of Short Statured Adults, agreed with the judge's assessment that Thompson would face dangers while in prison because of his height. "I'm assuming a short inmate would have a much more difficult time than a large inmate," said Mangano, who is 5 feet 4 inches tall. "It's good to see somebody looking out for someone who is a short person." Thompson, 50, had sexual contact over a couple of months last year with a 12-year-old girl, said Sidney Police Chief Admin Cox. He was sentenced on two felony sexual assault charges. As part of the probation, he will be electronically monitored for the first four months and was told never to be alone with someone under age 18 or date or live with a woman whose children were under 18. He was also ordered to get rid of his pornography. Thompson's attorney, Donald Miller, had no comment on the ruling. Cheyenne County Attorney Paul Schaub, who prosecuted the case, did not return a call seeking comment. Cecava did not return a message seeking comment. The judge's reasoning confounded Amy Miller, legal director for the Nebraska chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union. "I have never heard of anything like this before," she said. No one has ever come to the ACLU to complain of height discrimination, she said. And using Thompson's height as a reason to avoid sending him to prison is surprising, because neither the U.S. nor state constitution provides protections based on physical stature, she said. A spokesman for the prison system said Thompson's height would not put him at risk among the state's 4,400 inmates. There are protections available in prison to help inmates who feel threatened, prison spokesman Steve King said, but to his knowledge, no one has ever taken advantage of them based on fears related to their height. "He's not the shortest guy we have in prison," King said. "We've got some short guys that are as tough as nails. We've got people from all ages, physical stature of all sizes, in general population." State Sen. Ernie Chambers, a longtime critic of judges, said he was baffled by the sentence. "If shortness is an excuse and protection from going to prison, short people ought to rob banks and do everything else they would wind up going to prison for," Chambers said. "We're talking here about a crime committed against a child, and shortness is not a defense."
  3. What's the story on Bowyer? What is his injury? How long will he be on the DL? Haven't heard anything about him for weeks now... :mischief2
  4. Elle est magnifique!!!
  5. I read that article in yesterday's PBP. But the article I found even more interesting was the one about the difference in mileage and exactly where the new place will be. We are PBC residents and season ticket holders. We know very little about Dade or Broward county as far as side roads and such so it was interesting and uplifting to see it on a map and a description of the best route to it. Another 10 miles to travel won't be that big a deal for us and from what the short article said there will be an exit ramp being built to take you right into the new pond. We already have an hour plus drive when the traffic conditions are ideal so another 10 minutes or so is no biggie. They have our seal of approval to continue. LOL I guess the good point for PBC folks, like me too, will be that we can take the turnpike right on down. That should help some since it doesnt get too many problems with traffic. Turnpike to Sawgrass to I-75 might work even better...
  6. Wow... :notworthy Bon Jour!
  7. I wonder if Trader Jack knew about his steroid abuse? I bet he had his suspicions. :mischief2
  8. Things aren't look good for the Yanks' minor league system...from Newsday - Duncan could be headed downward JIM BAUMBACH May 26, 2006 Eric Duncan, the Yankees' top position-player prospect, is in Tampa these days rehabbing a lower back strain that has kept him on the shelf for two weeks. He's about a week from returning, but where he is headed, the Yankees can't say for certain. Team officials are contemplating sending Duncan, who has struggled at Triple-A Columbus, to Double-A Trenton, a demotion they would be likely to say is necessary because of the sudden influx of major-league journeymen at Columbus. But such a move also would send a message of concession, essentially saying the 21-year-old first baseman isn't ready to succeed at Columbus. And with the trading season about to begin, this is the worst possible time to send that message to the baseball world. The Yankees will be in the market for pitching help, and perhaps a leftfielder, too, and the teams that will be sellers will be looking for major league-ready talent. At the start of the season, Duncan might have been the Yankees' minor-league position player who most closely fit the bill. But his stock surely has dropped, given that he has hit .209 (23-for-110) with six RBIs in 31 games. Rated by Baseball America as the organization's top power hitter, he has no home runs, and his slugging percentage (.255) is lower than his on-base percentage (.279). "Obviously the numbers aren't where I want them to be, but I was feeling good, getting productive at-bats," Duncan said. "It wasn't one of those things where I was lost." Yankees officials correctly point out that Duncan is one of the youngest hitters in the International League, and all of Triple-A, so they're not down on their 2003 first-round pick. But the fact that they are considering a demotion is telling. When Yankees minor-league head Mark Newman was asked if Duncan will return to Columbus, he said, "We'll make that call when he's ready to play." When Duncan was asked the same question yesterday, he said, "I imagine so, but I don't know for certain." The Yankees, by all accounts, had a strong amateur draft last year; the farm system has earned rave reviews for its low-to-mid-level talent. But it still lacks major league-ready talent needed to acquire a Barry Zito, Dontrelle Willis or Alfonso Soriano. Phil Hughes, who turns 20 next month, the Yankees' 2004 first-round pick, now is pitching for Double-A Trenton. He is the player most teams covet, with good reason. He throws a mid-90s fastball and was so impressive in spring training that some players thought he could be up this year. The Yankees, under Brian Cashman's build-from-within philosophy, want to hold on to Hughes as long as they can. If so, they could be hard-pressed to make a big move by the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline because of their lack of high-level chips. Like Duncan, righthander Matt DeSalvo has taken a step backward. He had a strong spring training, opening the eyes of the Yankees' major-league coaches, but he's been sent to the Columbus bullpen "to get his confidence back," Newman said. In eight starts, DeSalvo went 1-5 with a 7.56 ERA, allowing 39 hits and 27 walks in 33 1/3 innings. Teams inquired about lefthander Sean Henn last year, but he has little trade value now. He went on the disabled list after only three starts because of pain in the back of his shoulder and made his first rehab start in extended spring training Wednesday. Duncan, meanwhile, said his back was tight for a while, then locked on a checked swing against Norfolk May 12. He hit off a tee for the first time Wednesday and expects to begin batting practice any day. He wouldn't cite the injury as a reason for his difficulties. Duncan hopes to remain a Yankee beyond the trade deadline, saying he believes he's a "perfect fit" in this organization. "I would love to stay with this team," he said, "but whatever happens will be for the best. I think you have to look at it that way."
  9. Pinto Bean
  10. Stupid kid should have come out guns blazing, shot the guy in the face, walked up to him, stepped on his neck and blown his brains out after a smart allecky remark. Now the criminal will get out of prison and kill someone else and this kid is responsible. Would you be willing to bet as to whether or not the perpetrator commits a future crime after he is released from prison?
  11. haha the intruder threw a bike at the window...real effective. Anyways kid did what was needed. Definitely a scary situation. Not really sure why they didn't call 911, but whatever. Yeah...I kind of wondered about that also. You think the Mom would have called 911 at some point during the ordeal. :mischief2
  12. Unreal...sounds like something out of the X-Files. :confused
  13. Tank needs a call to AAA and see what he can do in a hitters league before he gets to the show....the Isotopes could sure use him in relief Now that he has more innings...how has Tank pitched vs. lefties? Does he have enough IP to draw a conclusion? :mischief2
  14. Hollywood teen shoots intruder after father says on phone, `Do what you have to do' By Marlene Naanes South Florida Sun-Sentinel Posted May 25 2006 Hollywood ? Javaris Granger wished his father was there instead of him. His father was on the phone, urging Granger, 15, to get the gun they used for shooting practice. "Do what you have to do," his father said. Granger did. He aimed the gun and fired at the violent intruder. Family and friends are awed by Granger's bravery. "Anyone who takes charge like that is definitely a hero," said Maxine Chandler, his mother. Before the McArthur High School freshman fired the gun, he kept a cool head and remembered his father's shooting and safety lessons during the chaos early Saturday morning. His father, Lyndon Chandler, had left the house to visit a friend at the hospital. His wife heard a knock at the door and, thinking it was her husband, opened it. A stranger grabbed at her; she pulled free and slammed the door. It was 3:30 a.m. Granger woke with a start, hearing his mother's frantic voice and something slamming against the front window. He ran out to the dark living room and saw his mother screaming as a man, cursing and muttering, threw a bicycle at the window. Granger yelled at the intruder to leave, while his mother called his father on the phone and handed it to her son. The stranger began turning the doorknob, intent on getting in the home. Within seconds, Granger ran into his parents' bedroom, found the safety box, unlocked it and loaded two guns for him and his mother. He ran back to the living room as the intruder threw a bicycle at the door and started kicking it in. His mother was too shaken to take a gun, so she ran to another bedroom where her daughters and visiting family members were hiding. "I was real scared and nervous, but I knew I had to stay focused on what I had to do because my mom and the kids were there," Granger said. The next moment the man kicked down the door and jumped into the living room, yards from Granger. "I didn't want to hurt anybody, so I fired off a warning shot," the ninth-grader said. The intruder didn't leave until four shots later. Since the incident, friends and family members have called to congratulate the modest teenager who didn't tell his story until news reports made it hard to hide. His three sisters call him brave, his dad is very proud of "the man of the house" and his mom says her family would have died if the man police later identified as Keil Jumper had laid hands on them. Jumper, 22, is in Memorial Regional Medical Center with two gunshot wounds. He has a string of arrests dating to 2001, including one for attacking a Seminole Reservation Police Officer the day before he allegedly broke into Granger's home. Granger does not face charges. The second oldest child in the family, he often goes to the range at Markham Park to practice shoot with his father. He was never a victim of crime before, but calmly went through all the gun safety steps his father taught him, even after one gun jammed after the first shot Saturday. He even locked up the guns after Jumper left, before he checked on his mother. "My husband tried to get everyone to learn the safety of a gun," Chandler said. "It paid off."
  15. Nice writeup... Don't forget Josh Johnson - more reason for optimism! :thumbup
  16. Okay, My 21st b-day is coming up and my mom keeps asking me what I want because its the "big" b-day. While I was driving home from class it dawned on me. I want GOOD Marlins tickets. I mean like battersbox or those ones on the field by first base. Not sure what they are called. Which ones are better? I would like to take pictures and/or get autographs before the game. I love meeting Marlins players. It has been my dream since I knew what the Florida Marlins were. I am not sure if my dad has "sources" for these tickets because he knows a lot of people. Thats what he tells me but do you think there is anyway I could get tickets for those seats? I don't mean Ebay. I don't want to spend $200 per ticket kwim? Thanks. Any help would be wonderful Call Swifty... :whistle
  17. Still, even if you compared him to Olivo's potential that is good. Olivo was compared as a big time catching prospect before he bombed in the majors. The kid has good potential, it is a position of Huge need in the organization. Do we have any potential catchers in the minors worth anything? No we don't, and the Marlins passed on another catcher last year in the draft (Taylor Teagarden) who's only knock was how much he'd sign for, and this was around pick 100. Pretty big knock...and as a Boras client he signed for much more than the normal #100 or so pick.
  18. I dont know any details about the kid, but an all star players son that plays catcher. I like the sound of that, dont you all? Wasn't Lance Parrish's kid a first round pick a couple of years back? What ever happened to him? :whistle
  19. The Marlins, who are thin at the upper levels of the organization at catcher, do have one factor going for them. Albert Gonzalez, their new director of international operations, spent the previous 13 seasons in the Royals organization and has relationships with Pena and his son. Hmmm...nice to see the Marlins are scouting in Latin America. :thumbup
  20. Can't we all just ignore this moron? Doesn't everyone realize he is starved for attention and loves when people respond to him? I've stopped reading his posts...I highly recommend it. :thumbup
  21. him and uggla should get some consideration. There isnt many premier 2B in the National League That Soriano guy's pretty good...
  22. He's an a**hole because he doesn't understand how not including this economic demographic would not allow many operations in his city and in parts of the county to continue as efficiently or cost-effectively as previously. He understands...he just doesn't want them living in the "exclusive" parts of Fort Lauderdale. Let them live in Pompano and Oakland Park. It's not a far drive.
  23. This reminds me of what happened with Pokey Reese exactly. Whatever happend to him? He's not playing anywhere, is he??? :mischief2
  24. Just as good as Bush telling a mother who has to work three full-time jobs that she is doing something "uniquely American". Yet another reason why I don't just hate, I DESPISE Republicans. Naugle's a Democrat. :whistle It's true he's a Democrat, so the Republican bashing was really unnecessary in this thread. However he's about as far from the left as you can get. Naugle's extremely and unabashedly conservative and a big Bush supporter. He uses terms like "wacko liberals" so I'd imagine the Republicans love him. We do... :thumbup
  25. Just as good as Bush telling a mother who has to work three full-time jobs that she is doing something "uniquely American". Yet another reason why I don't just hate, I DESPISE Republicans. Naugle's a Democrat. :whistle
Background Picker
Customize Layout

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.