Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mungo

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Mungo

  1. Hendrickson STFU, you are lucky to have a job. If he is causing ANY trouble, out the door and eat the contract. OOOPS, I forgot, this is a Loria owned team. That will never happen.
  2. We all know why Baker won't be coming up, and why Ross is brought in here, its because of $. baker coming up means a year less for his abitration eligibility. Do that and he's less attractive as trade bait. No we don't "know" this and you have no idea what you're talking about. Baker is a six+ year minor leaguer who if he were called up would make the major league minimum of approximately $380.000 (prorated), and incrementally small increases for the following two years, making roughly $420,000+ (in today's dollars) in year three. David Ross makes $2.525 million THIS SEASON (or prorated about $1.3 million for the rest of the 2008 season) and holds an option for 2009 for $3.5 million that will cost whatever team has him $375,000 to opt out. So to acquire Ross just for the remainder of this season (assuming for a second Loria is too cheap to pay him $3.5 million *next* season) it would cost the Marlins approx. $1.7 million PLUS whatever player or players we traded for him. Oh yeah, and Ross already has accumulated five (5) years of service time. Only a moron would think Ross would ONLY be coming here because of money and Baker kept in the minor leagues to hold down his service time and future arbitration eligibility. He'll be over 30 years old if he came up tomorrow when he was arbitration eligible. In seven years in the minors no major league team has tried to acquire him because he an undiscovered major league talent. For the record Baker has never played in the MLB. Think there's a reason or was Billy Beane conspiring against him too? That's it ! Billy Beane and Jeffrey Loria have been conspiring to keep the man down. :banghead And oh yeah, a quick look suggests he'll be Rule 5 eligible next season (but I'd have to check more than I care to for this post) so we'll see how many teams get in line to acquire him. I can here the chatter now... "oooooh, pssst John Baker's available. we can't let him get away..." If he is picked up he has three years once he becomes a major leaguer (like every other rookie who comes into MLB) before arbitration (and service time is not counted in calendar years as you suggested, but in days of a season so if he came up today he's accrue roughly .48 service time in 2008. No big deal. (See Nny for a more expert explanation) As for Baker's "trade value", he's been cut or laterally traded at least three times in the minors that I know of. His trade value is no more or less than Chase Lambin, John Gall or Boxied, or Valentino Pascucci, or any other career minor leaguer. Look, you can keep posting whatever garbage you want to but you can't legitimately pass them off as "fact" when you post them and "opinion" when you're proven wrong. You are not stating something as an "opinion" when you say "we all know", you are stating a fact, in this case a fact that turns out to be unfounded, untrue and without substance. All that said, the guy is having a pretty good year and I was surpised he didn't come up when Rabelo went down but because I'm not a lunatic conspirarcist the only conclusion a rational human being can draw is that defensively he's still lacking. That was the knock on him in previous years both here and when he was in the Oakland organization. If you saw his play this spring it might make more sense to you why he is where he is and why Hoover is where he is. Twice this season, in April and last month, the Marlins had to make a choice between two veteran minor league catchers. Both times they made the same choice. It wasn't by accident and if you look at their minor league records and years in the minors, AND dollars, it becomes obvious it has nothing to do their futures in the major leagues (because neither has one) or anything other than who brought the most talent to the team. Blah blah blah blah blah it still always comes down to $$$ and ??? with Loria. That I know we can say "WE ALL KNOW THAT". Until Jeffery Loria is gone, and cheapness is no longer a Marlin by-word, I will always maintain that everything in this organization is done because of $$$.
  3. Finally. i usually dont say this but thank you mets. It's hard not to choke on the words isn't it. co-sign :thumbup Now back to the negotiating table 2003, we still have to settle on the price of that bridge in Brooklyn
  4. I swear we can never can ground on philly. Werth tied the game in the 9th with a 2 run HR off of Wagner, its in extras I expect the Phillies to win because they are the home team. Phillies lost 4-2 in the 12th I believe they just said on the Sox/Yanks game
  5. Fair weathered and no life?? :lol You should change your board name from "mungo" to mongoloid. Getting personal just shows your lack of maturity. :whistle
  6. b/c the NL West sucks :whistle What does this year have to do with last? :whistle Who was the Marlins GM when they last WON (unlike the Rockies) the World Series? :whistle And who put together most of the talent on that 2003 team ? Most came from Dombrowski, who by the way rebuilt the Tigers from scratch and 3 years later they were in the WS....right ? Beinfest walked into a job where he had most of the major pieces in place, and just needed to make a tweak here and there, and VIOLA, a winner. This time, this whole thing is his baby, every last one of them. Take his position players, they are his draftees, FA's, and trades. They look like a .500 team at best. The others have done it with a lot of homegrown draft talent in the field. Beinfest can't claim any as draft choices except for Willingham, Andino & Hermida. The Colorado team tonight started 5 players drafted by the Rockies. This is where Beinfest is weakest, and he needs to step up the drafts, or this team will never be able to progress. and who put a solid portion of the Rays team together? The previous ownership that sucked. Took the Rays 10 years to get where they are at. Are you giving Beinfest NO credit for what he's done? How's Dombrowski's team doing, btw? Oh...and it's funny how you mention how we've done so poorly against the Rays + Rockies. Here...get a clue. 2 other up & coming teams. Diamondbacks & Brewers How have we done against those 2 up & coming teams, this year? :whistle Or do you only look at the pessimistic / negative side of things? :whistle Owned, finally someone can shut me up. At least I can admit when I am wrong. Yes I tend to look at things pessimistically because I have had my heart broken so many times by the Marlins in the past, despite the 2 WS wins, most of our time has been spent being the MLB laughing stock, with low attendance, ownership instability and low payrolls. Its tough to be a Marlins fan at times.
  7. Okay, stop rooting for the Marlins all together then. But once the team is hot again and you jump on the bandwagon again, you will prove that you are indeed a turd sandwich. Its' hilarious calling me a fair-weather fan. I wouldn't be posting on this board IF I DIDN'T CARE ! Geeeeeeeeesh :banghead :banghead :banghead The meaning of fair-weather is someone that just doesn't care when the team starts to slump. I care A LOT if you didn't notice ! :banghead It was a nice win and I am thrilled for Volstad. Maybe, just maybe we can hold off the Mets for 2nd place before the AS break, and then with some luck have a decent 2nd half. I just lament that we don't have as much home grown talent, but others trades or castoffs. Usually there is a reason someone is traded and it isn't because they are really good.
  8. I have to believe after what I just heard the story as originally presented is a hoax. It's not true. Why do I say this? Because the the PR director for the Mudcats who does a once or twice a month appearance on 790 Sunday mornings was just on and spoke about Volstad extensively WITHOUT mentioning, indicating anything that would indicate he (Volstad) was anywhere but Zebulon. At first I thought "well this was pre-recorded", but when they mentioned the Wimbeldon finals in progress this morning I knew it was live. Maybe this guy is out of the loop but usually guys like him know very quickly about player movement because they are people the media go to first to find out about the player. Is he coming up soon? Maybe. But he pitched three days again for the Mudcats and this guy was speaking as if he was still in the rotation and in so many words implied he's not quite ready for the bigs. Hmmmm, since your instincts are so keen, maybe you really should buy that bridge I have for sale -- I can give you a discount
  9. And I'm board so I did a little math and that roster (using rough arbitration approximations) comes out to be around 40 million. No way Loria pays that much next year. Expect lots of trades. I keep telling you guys I believe Hanely will never start for us next year. That is why that new contract doesn't begin until next year, so Loria will never have to pay a cent of it.
  10. On 3 days rest ? Are they nutz ? :banghead I swear they are either trying to ruin all of their 2005 draft arms, or they are just desparate. Knowing Loria its both. He truly wants to destroy this franchise.
  11. Which is why he and the Florida Marlins drafted Top Prospect Kyle Skipworth - Catcher seems like a pretty good move to me. I dont have any complaints. Skipworth is at best a 4 year project if not 5 years. I doubt he plays with anyone on the current roster.
  12. ok, breathe into a paper bag ...what would you like them to do with a f*ing 20 million dollar payroll DRAFT BETTER ! It saves you money ! :whistle You grow and groom your own talent, instead of having to trade and hope to get back as much talent as you send out. When you don't draft well, it also means you will have to spend money on FA's which are always higher priced than home-grown talent.
  13. b/c the NL West sucks :whistle What does this year have to do with last? :whistle Who was the Marlins GM when they last WON (unlike the Rockies) the World Series? :whistle And who put together most of the talent on that 2003 team ? Most came from Dombrowski, who by the way rebuilt the Tigers from scratch and 3 years later they were in the WS....right ? Beinfest walked into a job where he had most of the major pieces in place, and just needed to make a tweak here and there, and VIOLA, a winner. This time, this whole thing is his baby, every last one of them. Take his position players, they are his draftees, FA's, and trades. They look like a .500 team at best. The others have done it with a lot of homegrown draft talent in the field. Beinfest can't claim any as draft choices except for Willingham, Andino & Hermida. The Colorado team tonight started 5 players drafted by the Rockies. This is where Beinfest is weakest, and he needs to step up the drafts, or this team will never be able to progress.
  14. thats not true, injuries have killed the rotation... remember thats why hendrickson was signed in the first place Johnson Olsen Mitre Nolasco Sanchez .... not bad. 3 of those are coming of major injuries. You really are putting your eggs into their basket ? Its unfortunate for the franchise, but lets be realistic here, you seriously would trust arms with major injury histories ? They had better hope that Johnson and Mitre make it back or this franchise is really effed, because Miller is just mediocre at best, and not the franchise pitcher they needed to have in a deal in which they gave away the talent they gave up.
  15. The Rockies are 14 games under .500. Give me a break. Who represented the NL in the World Series last year ? :whistle They have UNDERACHIEVED this year, but are showing up against our mediocre talent. And I would give them a better shot at winning their division than I would give the Marlins of winning the East.
  16. Can't we just admit we don't have the talent on this team to win. The 1st half of the season just seems to be a mirage. I think the 100 loss season is far-fetched but the way the team is looking now, 90 losses is not out of the realm of possibility. Its really sad, this could be such a successful franchise with wise management, and not with that cheap b*stard Loria. Amazing how people overreact to a few losses in a row. This series has sucked...no doubt, but if Gregg doesn't blow saves the past two games this team would be on its way to 90 wins, but with the two blown saves they are bound for 90 losses. I know this series has been tough to watch, but this team isn't nearly as bad as they have looked the past three games...just as they weren't as good as they looked when they were 10 games over .500 last month. Read my other post. 8 and 1 against really good up and coming teams (Rays and Rockies). There is no mistake why we have 1 win against them, and its because we just don't have the talent, and that my friends is at the feet of Admin Beinfest. You can continue to call him a great GM, but I think he is mediocre at best and we could do a lot better. His drafts especially at the top, are really dung-heaps. How many of his 6 1st round picks are starting for this team ? 1 I believe and that is Hermida, and he if he was a FA tomorrow, I doubt he would be a really hot commodity.
  17. Can't we just admit we don't have the talent on this team to win. The 1st half of the season just seems to be a mirage. I think the 100 loss season is far-fetched but the way the team is looking now, 90 losses is not out of the realm of possibility. Its really sad, this could be such a successful franchise with wise management, and not with that cheap b*stard Loria. i hate your guts. you are the biggest fair weather fan ive ever seen A fair-weather fan ? It is 11:10 on a Saturday nite and I am on a Marlins message board, and I am a fair-weather fan ? Just because I don't wear teal & black sun-glasses like many of you here, but actually look at this with my eyes and see this is a really mediocre bunch of talent. They have just recently been schooled by the Rays to the tune of 5 games to 1, and now are in the midst of losing to the Rockies for the 3rd time in a row. Both of those teams have what is considered to be "up and coming talent". The Rockies cleared out their team 3 years ago and went with young talent much like we did. They went to the World Series last year. The Rays look like they are the team to beat in the AL as they have the best record, and what many consider the best young talent in MLB. Do you think its coincidence that those two teams have beaten the Marlins 8 games to 1 so far this year ? Don't you think that might mean their is a gap between their talent and ours ? Pointing that out, and being unhappy about that, and being sad by these facts makes me a fair-weather fan ? I don't know about you but I am hurt, angry and sad all at once. I love the Marlins, but I am not happy about the way this team is run, and by the ownership. I am not someone that can just change allegiances at the drop of the hat. I have 14 years invested in Marlin fandom, but I am also a realist. WE DON'T HAVE IT. The talent is lacking on this team, especially in the pitching. If pointing that out makes me a fair-weather fan then so be it.
  18. I know, you would say that the front office has strong influence on where Gregg goes because the investment they have in him, but at some point, how things benefit the team have to outweigh playing a guy somewhere because of his contract. That would happen on any other MLB team, but not the Marlins. Its always about the $$$. Thank you Mr effing a-hole cheap-ass Loria. :banghead not true...at all. Oh no it is true, or something would have been done to aquire a REAL free agent arm this off-season, instead of Mark Hendrickson. Give me a reason to believe otherwise. :confused
  19. Can't we just admit we don't have the talent on this team to win. The 1st half of the season just seems to be a mirage. I think the 100 loss season is far-fetched but the way the team is looking now, 90 losses is not out of the realm of possibility. Its really sad, this could be such a successful franchise with wise management, and not with that cheap b*stard Loria.
  20. Congrats to Hanley. Hopefully Uggla joins you on the NLAST.
  21. I know, you would say that the front office has strong influence on where Gregg goes because the investment they have in him, but at some point, how things benefit the team have to outweigh playing a guy somewhere because of his contract. That would happen on any other MLB team, but not the Marlins. Its always about the $$$. Thank you Mr effing a-hole cheap-ass Loria. :banghead
  22. sh*t in, sh*t out :confused
  23. "You mean I'm supposed to get guys out ? Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, geesh I wish someone had told me that before !"
  24. GO FISH!!! Put a smile on every Fish fans face after the game! Holly I love your enthusiasm, and yes GO FISH ! If we ever needed one it is tonight. :thumbup
  25. That's all I'm trying to say. The payroll right now...is TOO LOW...even for this franchise. Oh I think if Loria could, he would try to get a whole team of 1st year players and just field an $ 8-9 million payroll. I think MLB would finally step in at that point. I read on one blog that there was actually discussion at one of the owners meetings about a payroll basement figure and that apparently Marlins management got into a shouting match with Yankee & Dodger management. How true that story is, who knows, but it sounds like it could have happened. That's the only reason why, as I told you before, I feel like Hanley's staying... I'm still not convinced. I think he will be gone well before we move into that stadium.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.