Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mungo

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Mungo

  1. Unfortunatly, a very solid and accurate article. Sad to say the least... the strikeouts and the errors absolutely have to improve! This has been a trend for a few years now. People on this board need to realize, after 2+ seasons from these guys, they are what they are, and it isn't going to change. This team will not miraculously become a stalwart defensive team. And if the bats are going to go south, then this is what you are going to get. A team that teases, but in the end is a pretender, not a contender.
  2. 790 was speculating that they were talking about a waiver-wire deal or the thought of signing Bonds. Ridiculous, but that is what the hot topic was. All im going to say is 790 likes to speculate... about anything and everything, as much as I love listening in, you gotta admit... its true... Yeah the other day they had Beck cut from the Dolphins and now look silly with egg on their face.
  3. Erick is right. He's an average closer. But the guy in Erick's sig is gonna be our next closer, IMO. Watch our for him Well he didn't impress me much with his stint up here earlier this year. :thumbdown
  4. where can one see the results....I don't see a link to the results. I voted a couple of times, is Billy still ahead ?
  5. Erick, that really was way out of line. Why attack the Dolphins ? They have nothing to do with the article, or the way the Marlins are choking this opportunity away. The Dolphins are starting to take the steps back towards respecatbility, and I will bet you this, the Dolphins will get back into the playoffs before the Florida Marlins and this ownership get back into the baseball playoffs. Really? Wanna bet? And no...it wasn't out of line. Quite honestly, I'm sick & tired of the Dolphins always being #1. Guess what...it's been over 3 decades since that perfect season. The Marlins have 2 championships since then. I'm sick & tired of tuning into Steve Shapiro on Sunday Nights, waiting to hear about some excitement with the Marlins, since they actually are in a race...yet, the first news that comes out is stupid Dolphins practice. To quote Allen Iverson..."Practice!?!" What a joke. Miami (in general) is a joke of a sports town. The Dolphins organization IS the laughing stock of the NFL, currently. When was the last time the "precious" Dolphins made the playoffs? Still remembering Marino (how many Super Bowls did he win, anyways?) Please. It IS a joke. The Marlins aren't choking away any opportunity. The Marlins have overachieved, and they have overachived, greatly. The future looks nice, considering this was supposed to be a rebuilding year, yet they are STILL over .500, and STILL in the race, whether you fail to admit it or not. Lets see if the Dolphins can provide the same excitement... As a matter of fact, forget the football team that almost threw a parade for themselves after ONE WIN :lol (talk about "act as if you've been there before" :lol ), for one second. Greg Cote is spot on. This team is so loved down here, and NEVER gets any criticism. They were only calling them flukes this whole time. Heck, they are so loved that they come home after a 3-3 road trip against the Phillies & Mets to a crowd of 20 people, where Cody Ross is greeted by the 40 yard line. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE. So much "LOVE" that they are the only current baseball team, in a football stadium, that has yet to announce that they are actually building a NEW BASEBALL STADIUM....and it's been an on-going process now for...what? about a decade? Don't worry about it...I'm sure Wayne Huizenga thought the same things when he abandoned the team after '97. That the Dolphins would win first...how did that work out for him? Wait...it doesn't matter. As long as we have Jim Mandich, Kim (girl's name) BoKamper, Joe Rose, and Hank "fat ass" Goldberg down here...we'll always hear about the GREAT '72 season. Woooooo............. :whistle Call me when "The Tuna" turns it around to a "New Beginning." As of right now, I see a terrible team, and a team that will take a good 5 years to be a Super Bowl Contender...if that. The Marlins, on the other hand, have a franchise player, good young pitching, and a good farm system, already established. So if you want to place a little wager on who wins a championship first...by all means. Just don't cry and bitch like you do about Beinfest (who just so happens to be an above average GM) when the Patriots make the Dolphins look like an XFL team again, this season. Erick, I have no idea what axe you have to grind with the Dolphins, but your post and diatribe are just way out of line. But only you can see that, no one can make you do it. As for the Dolphins not being critizied ? Excuse me ? You never read many of the local and national articles on them last year did you ? You really are delusional if you don't think they were critizied. And for the Dolphins not having a good organization ? I bet if you took a wager on best staffs in football, the Dolphins current staff would rank in the top 15 of the NFL. Jeff Ireland & Tony Sparano are already respected enough for their work with the Cowboys to get that respect, before even playing one meaningful NFL game. And also the organization has the eyes of Parcells and Ron Wolf watching over them, the same Ron Wolf who built the Oakland Raiders teams of the 1980's and the Green Bay Packers of the 1990's. The Tuna's reputation preceeds itself. The Dolphins have addressed their problems and are correcting them, and yes this year will not be a great one, but they will be improving. They plan to be in the playoffs in 3 years. The Marlins have a shot this year, but I doubt they do it next year because once again this owner will not spend even the necessary cash to get into the playoffs. This year being a prime example. You believe the Marlins have this stacked minor league system, well if that's the case, then start promoting some of them, and lets get rid of Willingham, Hermida and Helms. They are, for the most part, dead wood on this team, and Willingham & Hermida costs us millions next year......adios Josh & Jeremy. I mean the front office never once denied that Hermida's arse was on the trading block when the Manny situation occured a couple of weeks ago. Its obvious they are also very disappointed in Jeremy and his lack of power. Being out homered by a 2nd baseman and a shortstop two years in a row, when you were drafted for your bat is inexusable. I argued earlier this year that Jeremy was a bust. I still haven't changed my mind. For someone drafted with the 11th spot in the draft, he's a colossal bust. We could have had Scott Kazmir (15th pick that year), Cole Hamels (17th pick), Jeff Francouer (23rd pick) or Matt Cain (25th pick).....all better than Hermida & all considered bigger assets to their franchise. Next year the Marlins will have to find two new outfield if not all 3 outfielders (I don't think the front office wants Cody Ross there again next year, and Maybin is not ready until 2010 at the earliest for that spot), probably a new 1st baseman (Cantu could move over there), and new bench players (I don't see Helms or Gonzalez returning). Remember this as well, they have to be CHEAP, because this ownership demands that. Also don't count on the Mets & Phillies and perhaps the Braves to be this bad next year. Especially the Braves. This year is a big wakeup call to Schuerholz and I am certain he will do something to make a big splash and get back into the NL East race. I think the future looks brighter for the Dolphins, especially if the stadium deal falls through, which is looking more & more likely to happen. (By the way, the Oakland A's play in a football facility and don't have immediate plans to move) As for the love for the Dolphins, that comes from the fact that they are the established team, have just as many championships as the Marlins (albeit 30+ years ago) but they also had winning seasons for 30 of their first 38 years, 2 super bowl championships, 5 super bowl appearances, 16 division titles, 29 playoff appearances and still hold the highest winning percentage in the NFL since the 1970 merger (tied now with the Chicago Bears at .580 win percentage), have more Monday Night appearances and wins than any other team, including the Cowgirls. You deserve the loyalty of the fans when you have records like that. Every team in the NFL goes through bad periods. Even the most storied franchises do. The effing Dallas Cowgirls even had three 5-11 seasons in row before Parcells arrived in 2003. The Oakland Raiders haven't been anywhere close to a playoff game since they lost the Super Bowl to Tampa years ago. However the Dolphins went from 1970 to 1975 (6 seasons), 1977 to 1987 (11 seasons), 1989 to 2004 (16 seasons) all winning or tied (3 times) seasons. Lets examine the Marlins record. 15 seasons, 2 World Series wins, and 2 playoff appearances, but only 4 winning records (this year not counting), no division titles, never finishing above the Braves, and an overall losing record 1175-1311. Mediocre at best is what you could call that, except for the WS wins. And when compared to the Dolphins, its not even close. I love the Marlins, but the Dolphins will always be 1st in my heart. I was 7 years old when I went to my 1st Dolphins game and watched rookie QB Bob Greise play in his 1st game in 1967, and have been hooked ever since. I've been to 25 Marlins games, and they have only managed to win 6 of them. I stay away from the games now :thumbup I've been rooting for the Dolphins for 42 years and the Marlins 16.....that means the Marlins will always be 2nd for me. That doesn't mean I am not a loyal fan, but the Marlins, and especially this ownership don't deserve blind faith from me. However the Dolphins on the other hand, have gone out and gotten Bill Parcells to rebuild and have the brightest of futures ahead under his leadership. That showed they are serious about getting better. The Marlins will always be cheap, and pretenders as long as this present ownership is here. If you give this ownership blind faith, then you are a sucker and deserve to be treated like one.
  6. This article is pretty spot on. Cote isn't being negative. He's simply saying that the Marlins should receive some flack for playing badly. He's not being NEGATIVE. He's saying that people should react appropriate to the way the team is playing. I agree with him. This team has been pretty self defeating at times this year with bad mistakes. They have talent. That's pretty much the way I read it. I think more than anything the article speaks to accountability. Maybe to say they've been coddled is a bit much since they don't get enough attention to warrant the word coddle but they have not exactly been held accountable. I don't understand why some people get so defensive because I don't think Cote's being negative either but suggesting that a little kick in the ass is not such a bad thing. I could be wrong but I've been getting the impression that Marlins management are starting to lean in the same direction as Cote. I thought the article was well done, and right on the mark. They haven't recieved much critisizim at all because of the strong start. But the time has come for everyone to get real about what this team is, and that is a HORRIBLE defensive team, and a hot & cold offensive team. Its not a reciepe to win, unless you have luck and a real hot streak. This team has never had that long win streak that can separate you from pretender to contender. This team is made up of pretender material. Mike Jacobs, Josh Willingham and Jeremy Hermida are the main culprits, especially Hermida. He has not lived up to his draft position, and I am sure he & Willingham will be moved this off-season. They have not had the offensive numbers and clutch hitting necessary for this team to succeed. Willingham's SO's % has increased the last two years, while his BA has dropped from .277 in 2006, to .265 last year and .263 this year. Erick, that really was way out of line. Why attack the Dolphins ? They have nothing to do with the article, or the way the Marlins are choking this opportunity away. The Dolphins are starting to take the steps back towards respecatbility, and I will bet you this, the Dolphins will get back into the playoffs before the Florida Marlins and this ownership get back into the baseball playoffs. They had a chance to be this years Colorado Rockies, but they have yet to take the chance by the cajones and run with it. And their history this year doesn't say they will. Their longest winning streak can't be more than 6 or 7 games, and its gonna take a streak at least that long if not longer to win this thing. Do you really feel this team has that in them ? They look beaten, and giving up. The offense has just gone south and there is nothing there to give it a swift kick in the arse. Manny Ramirez would have done that, but at a price that I do agree was too high to pay. So why wasn't there another deal on the table ? They basically did nothing else to help the offense. Yes they brought in more pitching, but that was coming back no matter what from injuries. They had a chance to go get a stud catcher, and dropped the ball there too. Plain & simple, this ownership doesn't really want to win this year, as that is not in their plans, as it would cost too much, and we know that all they do is pinch pennies. :confused
  7. After the game on saturday the marlins admitted the fact that they do not try to change their approach against a pitcher that does well against them. It is no secret that the homerun approach does not work against soft tossing pitchers as it has been proven time and time again by the marlins' struggles against those type of pitchers. Jacobs' said this "I think you have to go out there and play your game," Jacobs said. "You can't change things because a certain pitcher is throwing well, or whatever....I don't think it's going to change. ... You go out there and play baseball, and that's it." therefore, unless moyer struggles to threw strikes on tuesday we are most likely going to struggle against him AGAIN caused they will refuse to change their homerun approach. However, this approach did get us to where we are at so i guess you have to lose some to win some. Now don't you feel silly ? :whistle
  8. A teacher asks her Math class a simple question: If a hunter sees 3 deer in the woods, and fires and shoots 1 of them, how many are still there? Little Johnny, raises his hand, the teacher relunctantly calls on him. Little Johnny says zero! The teacher says thats not the correct answer, and Little Johnny says, yes it is. He says, I can explain that if I fire my weapon and kill the 1st one, the other two will run off, so zero will still be there! The teacher says that isnt the answer she was looking for, but is willing to accept it, now that she understand the way he thinks. So Little Johnny says to the teacher, let me ask you a question. 3 women sit on a park bench with ice cream cones. One is licking the ice cream cone, One is sucking the ice cream cone, and the last one is biting the ice cream cone.....which one is married? The says that is a silly question, and Johnny says fair is fair, come on, so which one is married? The teacher thinks and says well the one that is sucking it, I quess. Little Johnny, says, well I would choose the one with the wedding ring, but I too like the way you think!
  9. Mungo replied to Mungo's topic in Off-Topic
    haha! Where do you get this junk? :lol All over.....emails other message boards :thumbup
  10. What starts with F and ends with K? A first-grade teacher, Ms. Brooks, was having trouble with one of her students. The teacher asked, "Harry, what's your problem?" Harry answered, "I'm too smart for the 1st grade. My sister is in the 3rd grade, and I'm smarter than she is! I think I should be in the 3rd grade too!" Ms. Brooks had had enough. She took Harry to the principal's office. While Harry waited in the outer office, the teacher explained to the principal what the situation was. The principal told Ms. Brooks he would give the boy a test. If he failed to answer any of his questions he was to go back to the 1st grade and behave. She agreed. Harry was brought in and the conditions were explained to him, and he agreed to take the test. Principal: "What is 3 x 3?" Harry: "9." Principal: "What is 6 x 6?" Harry: "36." And so it went with every question the principal thought a 3rd grader should know. The principal looks at Ms. Brooks and tells her, "I think Harry can go to the 3rd grade." Ms. Brooks says to the principal, "Let me ask him some questions." The principal and Harry both agreed. Ms. Brooks asks, "What does a cow have four of that I have only two of?" Harry, after a moment: "Legs." Ms Brooks: "What is in your pants that you have but I do not have?" The principal wondered why would she ask such a question! Harry replied: "Pockets." Ms. Brooks: "What does a dog do that a man steps into?" Harry: "Pants." Ms. Brooks: What starts with a C, ends with a T, is hairy, oval, delicious and contains thin, whitish liquid?" Harry: "Coconut." The principal sat forward with his mouth hanging open. Ms. Brooks: "What goes in hard and pink then comes out soft and sticky?" The principal's eyes opened really wide and before he could stop the answer, Harry replied, "Bubble gum." Ms. Brooks: "What does a man do standing up, a woman does sitting down, and a dog does on three legs?" Harry: "Shake hands." The principal was trembling. Ms. Brooks: "What word starts with an 'F' and ends in 'K' that means a lot of heat and excitement?" Harry: "Firetruck." The principal breathed a sigh of relief and told the teacher, "Put Harry in the fifth-grade. I got the last seven questions wrong."
  11. A teacher was reading the story of the three little pigs to her class. She came to the part of the story where the first little pig was trying to gather the material to build his house. She read...."and so the pig went up to the man with the wheelbarrow full of straw and said: "Pardon me sir, but may I have some of that straw to build my house?" The teacher paused, then asked the class: "And what do you think the man said?" One litle boy raised his hand and said very matter-of-factly...."I think the man would have said--Well, f*** me!! A talking pig!" The teacher was unable to teach for the next ten minutes!!
  12. An older gentleman had an appointment to see the urologist who shared offices with several other doctors. The waiting room was filled with patients. As he approached the receptionist desk he noticed that the receptionist was a large unfriendly woman who looked like a Sumo wrestler. He gave her his name. In a very loud voice, the receptionist said, YES, I HAVE YOUR NAME HERE; YOU WANT TO SEE THE DOCTOR ABOUT IMPOTENCE, RIGHT?' All the patients in the waiting room snapped their heads around to look at the very embarrassed man. He recovered quickly, and in an equally loud voice replied, 'NO, I'VE COME TO INQUIRE ABOUT A SEX CHANGE OPERATION, BUT I DON'T WANT THE SAME DOCTOR THAT DID YOURS.'
  13. Mungo posted a topic in Off-Topic
    A Fart It's a pleasant thing, It gives the belly ease, It warms the bed in winter, And suffocates the fleas. A fart can be quiet, A fart can be loud, And some leave a powerful, Poisonous cloud. A fart can be short, Or a fart can be long, Some farts have been known To sound like a song. A fart can create A most curious medley, A fart can be harmless, Or silent, and deadly. A fart might not smell, While others are vile, A fart may pass quickly, Or linger a while...... A fart can occur In a number of places, And leave everyone there, With strange looks on their faces. From wide-open prairie, To small elevators, A fart will find all of us Sooner or later. But farts are not all bad, It simply is true-- We must never forget... Sweet old farts like you. Kinda brings a tear to your eye, right?
  14. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! But it's not for any of those reasons. We didn't need Manny and I feel we were giving up too much. Giving up what exactly ? A bust 1st rounder ? We'd have a chance to get 2 1st round picks in next years draft when Manny deserted us after the season. The Marlins would have made a statement to their players that they are serious, instead the players now know that this front office will never be about winning, but just about being as cheap as they can.
  15. Well, reportedly the ONLY reason we didn't get Manny is because Loria wanted $2 Million on top of Manny's remaining contract. And people defend this front office ? Its not about winning, but all about the Benjamins with Loria. Don't ever forget that. :confused
  16. To make room for Rhodes and I really disagree with this move as it should have been hendrickson being designated. I can tell you why this didn't happen, and its $$$. We still have to pay Hendrickson if we DFA him, but Andino doesn't cost anything. The cheap Loria would never pay a player to not play.
  17. This thread is misplaced.
  18. I want one thing....if we can't win the division or the Wild Card, lets finish above the Braves. PLEASE JUST ONCE !!!!! :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup
  19. Awesome...just awesome.... see thats what teams are supposed to do.... Hopefully this will open some eyes on this board when I have said in the past this ownership of the Marlins isn't really interested in winning. They have the money, they are close and need 2 pieces to make it over the top and contend for a division title. But they are gonna get Jorge Julio.....errrr, ahem :whistle Rhodes. Big whoopdeedoo
  20. Yeah your so right bro they get Pudge for Kyle Farnsworth we could have toped that easely. Yes we could have. I wonder does Pudge have the right to refuse a trade ? Maybe he would if it involved the Marlins. I know that most of the players eligible for that would refuse a trade to the Marlins. Around baseball we are a horrible joke, and most players would never come here.
  21. I understand. I don't understand how the Yankees continue to pull of these trades. They absolutely steal players from other teams. THE EVIL EMPIRE I can't believe Dave Dombrowski made that deal. Straight up Pudge for Farnsworth.......FARNSWORTH ? :blink:
  22. Rhodes is a solid move. Not the best out there but addresses a need. Many also thought Jorge Julio was a great move too. God I hope this isn't like that and completely takes us out of it all. :banghead
  23. Good luck and stay safe. Keep your love for the Marlins and teach some of the kids over there to root for the Marlins, instead of those nasty Yankees and nasty Red Sox. :thumbup
  24. A man is walking down the street when he sees a woman who has the most perfect breasts he's ever seen. He says to her, "Hey, Miss, would you let me kiss your breasts for $100?" "Are you nuts?" she replies and walks away. He runs around the block and gets to the corner before she does. "Then would you let me kiss your breasts for $1,000?" he asks. "Listen, Sir," she says. "I'm not that kind of woman. OK?" So he runs around the next block and faces her again. "Well then would you let me kiss your breasts for $10,000?" The woman thinks about this for a moment and says, "Hmmmmm, $10,000?" She thinks a bit more. "OK," she says, "But just once, and not here. Let's go to that dark alley over there." So they go to the alley and she takes off her blouse to reveal the most perfect breasts in the world. The man starts caressing them, fondling them, squeezing them, burying his face in them, but not kissing them. After a few minutes, the woman gets annoyed. "Well, aren't you going to kiss them?" she snaps. "Nah," the man replies. "Costs too much!"
  25. Mutts fans are whiney POS a-holes, eff them :lol

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.