Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

mystikol87

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by mystikol87

  1. The boat races is because Micossukee is a major team sponsor. Air boat tours, etc. I would like to see some sort of change to that "game" tho. It got old a long time ago. LOL. Yeah, it is really one of the silliest parts of the stadium experience.
  2. I really don't get what people don't understand. If you want to get your ego stroked, you don't go to ESPN for that. You call your mommy. And yet there they are, straining their ears, leaning forward on their couches, waiting for the next installment from their TV sets. And then whine for hours because our attendance was mentioned. Which actually is the one thing about the team they CAN change, yet opt not to. I just don't get it. I agree that it's a bit of a "flaw" to want to hear good things about your team, and they sure as heck aren't coming from ESPN. As far as attendance, though, the posters here typically attend many home games, so that shoe doesn't quite fit here.
  3. Ditto on the "fish" thing. Fish stink. They get broiled, steamed, grilled, fried, etc. We're not just any ordinary fish. We are the most graceful, magnificent fish in the sea. The Marlins. Dolphin? (I gotta admit it, and I'm a Jets fan) Meh. Dolphins are mammals...so they don't really count True, true. You win.
  4. Ditto on the "fish" thing. Fish stink. They get broiled, steamed, grilled, fried, etc. We're not just any ordinary fish. We are the most graceful, magnificent fish in the sea. The Marlins. Dolphin? (I gotta admit it, and I'm a Jets fan)
  5. Gammons (who is in the freaking Baseball HOF) gives us props frequently. He expected us to make the playoffs last year. He wasn't far off. I will take Gammons' opinions over all those other Yankees, Red Sox, and Mets lovers at ESPN anyday (disclaimer: Gammons is actually a big-time Red Sox fan). He didn't expect that preseason, did he? I'm assuming you must just mean down the stretch he said that at some point.
  6. And....................it's over.
  7. Has anybody seen it yet? Nope. Highlights of Indiana and Michigan in college basketball are more important. Oh but of course... LOL @ Indiana..........5-9 record and we care about them why? Michigan isn't even ranked: 12-3 before conference play isn't even impressive. Here comes the Top 10 - I guess they're not running the story?
  8. Has anybody seen it yet? Nope. Highlights of Indiana and Michigan in college basketball are more important.
  9. mystikol87 replied to Joe's topic in Sports
    I think Dave Dombrowski should at least get some consideration, seeing as he built the 1997 champion team, plus had a lot to do with the 2003 championship team, AND rebuilt the Tigers from worst team in baseball to AL Champs in about 4 years. Not too shabby Obviously no GM is perfect, but I think getting Dontrelle and giving him that fat contract is a massive mistake plastered in the minds of Marlins fans. Doesn't mean he's not a great GM, but I couldn't see him getting many votes here as #1, if for no other reason than that. I think the complete incompetence in building a pitching staff for Detroit has weighed him down the past couple of years, although he's certainly a great GM. It's not just Dontrelle. It's also Robertson's contract. It's also Bomberman's contract. It's overworking Verlander (his breakdown was predictable and one of the reasons to worry as a Marlins fan for 2009). It's contructed a bat sh*t bad bullpen years running. He did a great job rebuilding detroit but after two steps forward it's like he's taken one step backwards with that franchise. Although I don't follow the Tigers closely, I agree with what you say, based on what I do know. I just meant as per this poll on this site, it would hurt his chances IMO.
  10. mystikol87 replied to Joe's topic in Sports
    Billy Beane - The guy who always finds studs and now used only a couple of them to get himself Matt Holliday. Just stole Giambi. Andrew Friedman - He was able to push so many right buttons that he got the freakin Rays to the World Series and now he has added a very nice lineup to his great pitching. Theo Epstein - They refuse to give players NTC's, they make smart moves and don't usually throw money at players. Admin Beinfest - It isn't his fault that the Marlins trade all their stars, does a great job of finding talent. Guy got Hanley, he just got Ceda for someone that I think sucks, Gregg. He has done so much more and hes your boy! FTR, Joe, I like that lineup better. Just because Aki is small and quick, doesn't mean a guy with a .320 OBP should lead off with so many other talented players in the lineup.
  11. mystikol87 replied to Joe's topic in Sports
    I think Dave Dombrowski should at least get some consideration, seeing as he built the 1997 champion team, plus had a lot to do with the 2003 championship team, AND rebuilt the Tigers from worst team in baseball to AL Champs in about 4 years. Not too shabby Obviously no GM is perfect, but I think getting Dontrelle and giving him that fat contract is a massive mistake plastered in the minds of Marlins fans. Doesn't mean he's not a great GM, but I couldn't see him getting many votes here as #1, if for no other reason than that.
  12. Um, it's in Miami. Right off the Palmetto on Coral Way. you don't have to be on a little league team, just 14 and under. Rabb and I are still trying to find a loophole on that one... like... 14 according to what calendar... can we use Dog Years? Dog years go faster. Oh, I know! What if we are born-again Christians who become born-again less than 14 years ago! If you're Jewish, you're life doesn't "start" until your a Bar-Mitzvah, AKA 13 years old usually. Or some religions feel that your life doesn't begin until your married? P.S. Does that make me a fetus? Or unborn? If yes to the second, can I become undead at some point? Sweeeeeet.
  13. mystikol87 replied to bobbob1313's topic in Off-Topic
    Anyone catch Scrubs tonight? Was it good? I missed it.... hopefully I can catch it online. TiVo/DVR - get with the program! :cool
  14. MMP reminded me of a ridiculously unnecessary FJM-esque nickname system... Wesley von Helmington Leonardo Nunezenburgenstein... Yeah, I can have too much fun with these Sir Wesley Helmsington IV This is truly outstanding. Jonathan VanBakerensenovsky?
  15. Once again UPDATED Hanley Ramirez - HanRam, Great Dan Uggla - Uggz, Danny Cody Ross - Toy Cannon, Co-Dy, The Boss- Credit to Dim Jeremy Hermida - Jermida, Hermierda(if angry) J herms Cameron Maybin - Maybin, Spider Cam, Spider Maybin, C Mayb Gaby Sanchez - Gaby, Sanchez Jorge Cantu - Can-tuuuuuuu John Baker - Bake, Shake n' Bake, Johnny Bake, Alfredo Amezaga - Amazing Amezaga, Amazinga, Mez, Mazing Mez, Fredo, The Flying Mexican-credit to Fish Dynasty Dallas McPherson - McDallas, D mc? Wes Helms - Wes, Wesley, Emilio Bonifacio - Who? x2 Josh Johnson - JJ Chris Volstad - Volstud Ricky Nolasco - Noly, NolasKo, Ricky Anibal Sanchez - Ani, Ani-mal/Animal Andrew Miller - A Millie, Miller Time, A Mill Matt Lindstrom - Lindy, Matterz, Matty L, Moorman Man Matt Ryan Tucker - Tuck, Tuck N Roll Taylor Tankersley - Tank Renyel Pinto - Pinto? Leo Nunez - Nothing yet Logan Kensing - K-Sing, Blogan(if sucking) Lo Jose Ceda - Nothing yet Nice work. You can just edit your old posts if you want, you know?
  16. marlins having good defense, lmao. maybe that'll improve this season with willingham and jacobs gone and hermida moving over to LF but last season their defense was horrible. also i know that the mets improved their pen but am i the only one that thinks their rotation is weak with only santana and maine as reliable starters? Our defense wasn't "horrible" last season. Using +/- as a scale: Above average (that includes everywhere from slightly above above average to incredible): Hermida (+2, ranked 14th) Ross (+14, ranked 4th) Willingham (+10, ranked 6th) Uggla (+4, ranked 10th) Ramirez (+3, ranked 15th) Cantu-1B(+3, unranked) Helms-3B(+5, unranked) Bellow average (that includes everyone from slightly bellow average to Mike Jacobs): Jacobs(-27, ranked 35th) Cantu-3B(-11, ranked 30th) There is absolutely no good measurement for catchers. But we should count Baker under below average. So, last season 5 of our 8 starters were average or better. That's not "terrible". The biggest offender is gone, being replaced either by Cantu, who is a bit above average at 1B, or Gaby, who won defensive awards at 1B in the minors. 3B is probably going to end up the same as last season, unless Cantu ends up at 1B with Helms at 1B. In the OF, Hammer was good in left last season, and will be replaced with either Ross, who was great in center, or Hermida, who was about average in right and should be better in left. Maybin of course is pegged to be awesome this season. And Baker will hopefully get a bit better, but I don't think he's too bad back there anyways. By my calculation that is an overall +3 for the players you mentioned. I know Baker is below average, but we will have improved tremendously from a team that was already "3 plays better than average" last year. So this actually has the chance to be a good+ defense this year. And if Hanley becomes more polished, watch out. (Uggla's year may have been a bit of an anomaly, hard to know at this point imo)
  17. Any tips on how to compile this list? I'd like to add all the options, or maybe I should just add the good ones to the initial post/list? Any suggestions on formatting?
  18. I was writing a post and mentioned Cameron Maybin, and realized that it's an annoying name to write out every time. And I couldn't remember if he has a nickname. I thought it might be good to compile a list if it hasn't been done already. Please add any and all you know, or feel free to nominate one for those of the Andrew Miller variety who are nicknameless. Hanley Ramirez - HanRam Dan Uggla - Popeye? Cody Ross - Popeye? (I never remember which one is which) Jeremy Hermida - Cameron Maybin - Gaby Sanchez - Jorge Cantu - John Baker - Bake, Shake n' Bake Alfredo Amezaga - Amazing Amezaga Dallas McPherson - Dmac, DmP, McDallas Wes Helms - Emilio Bonifacio - EB Josh Johnson - JJ Chris Volstad Ricky Nolasco Anibal Sanchez Andrew Miller Matt Lindstrom Ryan Tucker Taylor Tankersley - Tank Renyel Pinto Leo Nunez Logan Kensing Jose Ceda
  19. I like it better when they predict we're gonna suck. It's sweeter when we "shock the world". Yeah, part of the fun is calling my parents at 11 PM and saying, "WTF! Ricky Nolasco pitched a 3-hit shutout and Uggla hit 3 Home Runs and all Baseball Tonight did was show the score with a random, stupid highlight! And that doofus still calls him Dan Ugly - it wasn't funny the first time............stupid ESPN, when will they give the Marlins any airtime?". I'll never watch Baseball Tonight again once MLB Tonight starts. I wasn't willing to upgrade my Comcast to watch High Stakes Poker (although it's a friekin awesome show, but I heard no one picked it up again, which is ridiculous)(I'm a poor college student), but I'm extremely tempted for MLB network. You guys are already making me extremely jealous. At least they posted the Maybin interview on mlb.com.
  20. I like it better when they predict we're gonna suck. It's sweeter when we "shock the world". Yeah, part of the fun is calling my parents at 11 PM and saying, "WTF! Ricky Nolasco pitched a 3-hit shutout and Uggla hit 3 Home Runs and all Baseball Tonight did was show the score with a random, stupid highlight! And that doofus still calls him Dan Ugly - it wasn't funny the first time............stupid ESPN, when will they give the Marlins any airtime?".
  21. According to ESPN's Buster Olney, the Indians are in serious discussions with free agent starter Carl Pavano. Pavano will visit Cleveland soon and a deal could be wrapped up quickly. We'll have to see if Pavano can come close to the $2MM guaranteed Mike Hampton received from the Astros. poop.
  22. Why is this loser in the Marlins section? I was surprised to see it here too. I went 1st to the MLB forum to see if it was there, and when it wasn't I went to the Marlins forum. I know he played for us, but he's a Yankee now. This should have been in the general MLB forum. Yeah, my bad. Just some inexperience at topic starting - I was reading something on the Marlins forum when I saw it on TV, so then i opened a new tab to pull up the link, and just clicked "New Topic" on that screen. And now I see that that starts the topic in the same forum - duh!
  23. So Emmanuel will be questioned on Blagojevich, Richardson had to withdraw because of a possible charge. If this was the republic party we would already be here tainted. Not to mention that they all blamed Bush to play politics on fear, and now Obama is coming out and saying unless we create 600,000 new government jobs there will be serious economic problems.... ? :blink: I didn't hear the exact quote you mention, but how can you even compare "terrorist threats on our lives," and "serious economic problems" as comparable fear-mongering? Certainly there are terrorists, and certainly there are current economic problems; however, even if both threats were equally as legitimate (or illegitimate), the fear of death trumps [just about] all others, and is a poor comparison.
  24. Why did the Phillies sign Ibanez for 3/$31.5 when it seems as though Burrell could have been had for 2/$16-ish? Did they not want Pat the Bat, or did they particularly covet Ibanez?

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.