Uh-Oh Pavano

Schnellders

Marlins seeking catching depth and Pavano?

At the GM meetings in Dana Point, Calif., the Marlins are actively testing the waters. And the team has acknowledged that it is seeking as much catching depth as possible. Talks continue with the Rangers regarding catcher Max Ramirez. The Marlins also continue to measure interest in lefty starter Scott Olsen.

The Miami Herald reports that Florida could show interest in bringing back Carl Pavano, should the right-hander not return to the Yankees.

An industry source also noted that Pavano could be open to returning to the Marlins, where he won 18 games in 2004. Pavano also was part of Florida's 2003 World Series title team, and he remains close with team owner Jeffrey Loria.

The South Florida SunSentinel reports that the Marlins have not ruled out returning free agent lefty, Arthur Rhodes. However, the team hasn't had any active talks with Rhodes' agent, Dan Horwits.

http://hotstove.mlblogs.com/

Can we say retread? We don't need him right now with all the young pitching. I doubt he will want to be a mop up guy, nor would he be willing to be paid as such. Right now i would say no, if something happenms in ST and he is still out there, then maybe.

Be willing? How much money do you think he can pull in anywhere after what he's done in NY? I think he could very conceivably be available for peanuts, and if he is, might as well give him a shot. Even if you don't trust him to be durable, this team can always use a decent arm in the bullpen.

I'm all for a minor-league incentive-based contract. You can always use another arm, especially when you have a few question marks in the rotation... We COULD have the best rotation in baseball next year. But we could just as easily have two major holes to fill.

I agree with everything above. If we can get him on the cheap he is a low-risk/high reward candidate and a nice insurance piece if one of our starters goes down again or Andrew miller shows he's still not ready for the big leagues. Pavano thrived at Joe Robbie. If he can't healthy or just is ineffective it's a minimal loss, if he could be atleast a medicore pitcher, a solid pick up. Minor league contract or league minimum with incentives...anything over 500,000...no way

Can we say retread? We don't need him right now with all the young pitching. I doubt he will want to be a mop up guy, nor would he be willing to be paid as such. Right now i would say no, if something happens in ST and he is still out there, then maybe.

We don't have as much pitching, specifically starting depth, as you think we do. Once we trade Olsen our depth is pretty much going to be Rick Vanden Hurk.

Can we say retread? We don't need him right now with all the young pitching. I doubt he will want to be a mop up guy, nor would he be willing to be paid as such. Right now i would say no, if something happens in ST and he is still out there, then maybe.

We don't have as much pitching, specifically starting depth, as you think we do. Once we trade Olsen our depth is pretty much going to be Rick Vanden Hurk.

unless we make 1 or 2 good pitching signings (likean or penny) then i think we will be fine...look at the phillies and there Sp...the rly good one is hamels the rest are decent yet they did good in playoffs.

unless we make 1 or 2 good pitching signings (likean or penny) then i think we will be fine...look at the phillies and there Sp...the rly good one is hamels the rest are decent yet they did good in playoffs.

I'm not talking about quality. It's the ability to have guys who can step in when there are injuries to the starting 5. It's a long season and just two years ago our season was ruined because of poor pitching depth. Let's not repeat that mistake.

Dan Meyer likely jumps in front on him. Depending on if/when we incur injuries, Aaron Thomson being ready is certainly feasible at some point this season. Also, some relievers are converted starters and could step in if desperate.

Dan Meyer likely jumps in front on him. Depending on if/when we incur injuries, Aaron Thomson being ready is certainly feasible at some point this season. Also, some relievers are converted starters and could step in if desperate.

This is right, but if you can get Pavano on a milb deal, you do it. It would help a lot.

This is right, but if you can get Pavano on a milb deal, you do it. It would help a lot.

I wouldn't mind it under those circumstances. But ya gotta remember, Pavano left for the $$$ and got it. I heard he tried to hide the accident from his team while he was on the DL (rear ended a garbage truck in PBC, caused another injury). Don't really know much else about him except the adverised stuff. Dosen't seem to me to be the kind of guy that would agree to anything like that. But I guess ya never know.

Yeah, if we can get that kinda deal, at make it incentive-laden, it'd be great. I was pointing out the depth we do have, but the more the better - especially a veteran with significant MLB experience. If he struggles, it'd be unlikely that it'd be due to a lack of poise, experience, maturity, etc. And that's a viable fear with Kensing, Thomson, Meyer, Tucker, etc.