Uh-Oh Pavano

I think you offer him something along the lines of a minor-league contract, with a $1 Million Major-League deal if he makes the club out of spring training, with $4 Million in incentives. If he doesn't make the club, I'm sure there are plenty of ball clubs that will trade for him and pick up that contract before the end of ST. That's realistic.

I think Pavano loved his time here. Very quiet guy that never really belonged in NY to begin with. He likes to be out of the limelight it seems. Plus, he's a great guy. Kind of like Gregg, won't be the most vocal, but still has a ton of experience to offer our young staff. Including a huge world series ring with a big ol' Fish on it.

UPDATE:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/conte...1112pavano.html

Right-hander Carl Pavano says he is open to a reunion with the Marlins. And wherever he winds up, Pavano is determined to shed his label as one of the biggest free-agent busts in baseball history.

Now that he is a free agent again, Pavano is generating interest from at least five teams, including the Marlins, according to sources.

"If they think I can help the team, it would be great. Obviously, I have great memories pitching with the Marlins," said Pavano, 32, who began his career in Montreal under owner Jeffrey Loria, who owned the Expos before buying the Marlins.

"I can't say enough about the ownership. And being a veteran, it would be fun to pitch with those guys."

Florida's level of interest in Pavano isn't clear. Even after trading left-hander Scott Olsen to Washington, the Marlins could go with a rotation of right-handers Josh Johnson, Ricky Nolasco, Anibal Sanchez and Chris Volstad and left-hander Andrew Miller.

But Nolasco is the only one in that group who logged at least 200 innings last year. And the front office has indicated that Miller will have to win his spot after an inconsistent season.

Pavano, who still lives in suburban West Palm Beach, has been working out at Fitness America with trainer Lori Wohlers as well as with Marty Miller, the former Yankees trainer who was fired in May 2007.

"I feel great," Pavano said. "I just want an opportunity to pitch."

Obviously the big IF is if he can stay healthy, but if he can...wouldn't surprise me to see him out perform Scott Olsen in 2009.

• 2 weeks later...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/83902-r...ace-carl-pavano

Former Florida Marlins starting pitcher Carl Pavano is interested in a return with the Marlins.

Marlins' GM Michael Hill met with Pavano's agent Tim O'Connell and it seems the Marlins may be close to signing the free agent. Pavano had a 33-23 record in two-plus seasons with the Marlins.

Cool.

Former Florida Marlins starting pitcher Carl Pavano is interested in a return with the Marlins.

Marlins' GM Michael Hill met with Pavano's agent Tim O'Connell and it seems the Marlins may be close to signing the free agent. Pavano had a 33-23 record in two-plus seasons with the Marlins.

Cool.

I imagine if Pavano were to sign this early in the process, it would be a MLB deal. This would set the staff for the most part.

Johnson, Nolasco, Volstad, Anibal, Miller

Lindstrom, Nunez, Nelson, Pinto, Cruz, Pavano , and Meyer/Tank

(DFA Kensing, J. Delgado, and Meyer if he loses to Tank)

RP options on 40 Man - Tucker, Vanden Hurk, T. Wood

Cool.

I imagine if Pavano were to sign this early in the process, it would be a MLB deal. This would set the staff for the most part.

Is there any chance that Pavano bumps Anibal/Miller to AAA for a test run/more seasoning, and if Pavano has some difficulties and the other guy is doing well, then they could sub him in?

Cool.

Is there any chance that Pavano bumps Anibal/Miller to AAA for a test run/more seasoning, and if Pavano has some difficulties and the other guy is doing well, then they could sub him in?

I think it might be a competition in ST for those last 2 rotation spots if Pavano gets signed. But he shouldn't have anything given to him, given his history.

Tune in tomorrow...it's kind of bizarre signing but Pavano and this franchise go way back.

You have to wonder though if there's more to this?

Is there any other corroboration...I mean the "Bleacher Report"? If you read the whole article the writer seems to think the Marlins remaining rotation is a bunch of sniveling adolescents who probably need someone to point out where the mound is.

"The leadership of Pavano would definitely go a long way in giving younger pitchers Chris Volstad, Josh Johnson, Anibal Sanchez, and Ricky Nolasco more confidence."

Like Ricky Nolasco needs more confidence.

Is Joe Nelson even locked up for next year? I thought people were saying after the year that we had to offer arbritration.

Anyways...I wouldn't mind Pavano, at all...in a Waechter/Gardner type role.

Nelson will get around $800k in arbitration, which is a bargain even if his ERA rises a full point and a half from last year. He's basically locked up.

The RP you have to wonder about are Kensing/Cruz/Delgado/Meyer. 1-3 of them won't be Marlins at the end of Spring Training.

Why don't we wait to see what he's got before we pigeon-hole him. he might come back and be an effective starter worthy of a slot in the rotation, he may come back and be more useful in the bullpen and there's a strong likelihood he'll come back and not make this team.

That's fine with me, as well. He provides versatility b/c he can give innings anywhere you put him. I believe he'd make the team if we sign him. Pavano's main issue is health; he's still capable of pitching in the big leagues...and he'd probably feel comfy coming back here to pitch.

Is Joe Nelson even locked up for next year? I thought people were saying after the year that we had to offer arbritration.

Anyways...I wouldn't mind Pavano, at all...in a Waechter/Gardner type role.

Nelson will get around $800k in arbitration, which is a bargain even if his ERA rises a full point and a half from last year. He's basically locked up.

The RP you have to wonder about are Kensing/Cruz/Delgado/Meyer. 1-3 of them won't be Marlins at the end of Spring Training.

I was telling my dad today...this year is going to be interesting as soon as March rolls around! There are a lot of unanswered questions out there, that will likely be decided on Spring Training play. Lots of players battling for certain spots.

Why don't we wait to see what he's got before we pigeon-hole him. He might come back and be an effective starter worthy of a slot in the rotation, he may come back and be more useful in the bullpen and there's a strong likelihood he'll come back and not make this team.

Arbitration is going to guarantee his contract. Same with Kensing. Unless we trade or DFA them, if we take them to arbitration they are basically guaranteed spots.

I would bet you (in the fugurative sense) the Marlins and Pavano do not go to arbitration. He may also chose to retire should he be unable to come back. There are a lot of options that aren't just black and white.

My god, the guy hasn't been announced as part of the team yet. And I don't think he becomes part of the team without a contract favorable to the Marlins.