Everything posted by marlin2266
-
Analysis of Pierre's steals
Agreed - great post. Speed is typically more prominent in losing teams - without researching it, I'd be willing to say more than 50% of the last 20 SB leaders were on losing teams. You also have to look at the pitches thrown while JP is on base. It's intuitively obvious that he would encorage fastballs (which are easier to handle and make a play on a stealing JP, as well as being perfect fodder for good ML hitters like Luis and Pudge). But I'm not sure if the fastball bias is more prominent if JP is on 2B vs. 1B.
-
Upper Deck Shot
Nope - that was LF. I'm talking the other way......
-
Marlins Ballpark News
How soon we forget..... John Henry floated the idea to build a small, expandable stadium (25K seats at first) with his own money and boy did he get it from all sides. He probably didn't even check with MLB before he said it, as they would veto such an idea out-of-hand. As to Bobby Maduro, I was there the weekend before it was torn down & got some good pics. It was Memorial Day 2001, and as I drove up to BMS, WQAM announced that Bolesy had been fired. So the 2 intertwine in my mind. BMS was a great little ballpark - I saw Mantle & Maris there in the 60s. It had a cantilevered half-roof - I once saw a guy throw a rope up over the rafters and pull himself up hand-over-hand. What memories........
-
Upper Deck Shot
Seeing Sammy hit it 484 today made me wonder - Has there ever been an upper deck shot to right in JRS? If so, who, when etc...
-
This is very funny...
I betcha Boog (& DVH) call the game right off the monitor more often than they might admit. Obviously for replays, but sometimes you can tell they do it during live action.
-
Baseball Tonight
The teal wall is now covered with Indian ads - from the LF fair pole all the way past the 434 sign in deep center. It's not pretty, but (of course) it's all about the benjamins.
-
Big Crowd Expected Tomorrow for Cubs Game!
Only reason I can think of for 1:05 Sunday starts is that it's "get-away" day. Neither Lins nor opponent-du-jour want to fly out late Sunday nite. Also, 1:05 sells more a/c club seats. Any other ideas why? I agree - 1:05 is insane for the fans in the sun.
-
Whos going this weekend?
2nite - IF Box Sat - TBA Sun - Publix Zone (gotta luv that a/c)
-
SUPERNOVA
Alpha Centauri has arrived (at last). Go get 'em this weekend, DTrain!
- Marlins Trivia
-
Good Article: Urbina pitches without his number
Brad Penny swapped with Rich Dubee a couple years ago - 31 for 28. I don't remember why.... Also, Cliff Floyd switched from 15 to 30 in 1999 or 2000 - I think it had to do with his goal to be a 30/30 man. Another tid-bit - since many venezuelan shortstops wear 13, John Boles offered to give SeaBass his 13, but SB didn't care or want to do it.
-
now that the
Start using Castro and Foxy. Package Red & Mordy for the Juan Gone deal. That is all.
-
Traded All-Stars
a player selected to the NL allstar squad gets traded to AL before the game? Has this ever happened?
-
Hough
Any xtra Houghs out there? I'll take an error version. I can offer a Dempster in trade, straight up. Post your email if interested.
-
Luis an AllStar!
This just in - Castillo has been selected to replace the injured Marcus Giles for the game Tuesday! Source - Jon Scambi WQAM
-
HOME RUN DERBY INFO
I worry a little bit about this. Mike has a minor groin pull, and the competition may not be a good idea. I hope they offer him the spot, and if he is not 100% in his own eyes, he turns it down.
-
Marlins on PAX - Adelphia South
Heads up! Adelphia South has switched PAX from cable channel 35 to 19.
-
Beradino in hiding?
Last column published Friday - can it really take him this long to put a negative spin on the UU deal?
-
Stadium Article
"On New Year's Eve every year, the Marlins make the choice to return to PPS for the year following the next. i.e. New Year's Eve 2002 take option for 2004" Better hope Anthonty Carter's agent isn'r responsible for the phone call.
-
BOYS OF SUMMER, not in Florida
On a dreary New York day in the late 60s, the mighty Yankees drew a "crowd" of 312 fans. (Pre-George, of course).
-
KBrown mobility still a question
Credit mlb.com On the mound: Kevin Brown, scratched as the Tuesday night starter with a strained lower abdominal muscle, threw a bullpen session and seems to indicate he will be able to make his Sunday start. The former Padre threw the session in the Padres bullpen, with David Ross doing the catching, and Ross said Brown was very impressive. "The big question is his mobility, moving off the mound, fielding his position, fielding bunts," said manager Jim Tracy
-
Which site would you prefer to see a ballpark...
At the River site, the water would be over the RF wall (just like Pac Bell). MLB requires RF to be on South side of any ballpark.
-
Mike Lowell with Bob Costas
Oops - no - it's Mikey's evil twin - Pete Sampras!
-
how they finish
I typed in the wrong validation code on purpose to see what would happen, and received no message that my vote was not counted.
-
Which site would you prefer to see a ballpark...
An underpublicized reason Bicentenniel failed a few years ago is that the Port of Miami raised holy hell about it. They claimed that trucking to/from the port would be impaired by 81 home baseball dates (on top of 41 home Heat dates). Also, driving in there is pretty hard, and MetroRail is too far west for most casual fans. I vote for Miami Arena - the rail drops right there at the Arena station.