Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

fauowls44

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by fauowls44

  1. http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/15/jerry.falwell.ap/index.html
  2. The very least Dreamz could have done was just admit that he had changed his mind. Don't lie to the guy who gave you a trucks face and keep saying it was your plan all along. If that was the plan, I could have accepted that he had a strategy and was playing the game the whole time. But when you keep saying how bad you want to keep your word and how you want to set an example for your kid during the private interviews, you are obviously lying. During those interviews there is no reason to lie...no other contestants can hear you. That said Yau made a mistake trusting him. When it was down to the two of them in the immunity challenge, he should have modified the deal.
  3. It was amazing how bad Julio was from the moment he got here. It didn't matter if it was spring training, closing, not closing, rehab assignments....just consistently bad. I don't think there has ever been one Marlin who did not look good in at least one outing somewhere in the organization.
  4. Kim doesnt want to close. in japan, it is considered to be failure if players close the game all hes going to be for us is another head case Good thing that BHK is Korean then. Im not expecting anything from Kim really, just be better than Julio....can't be too hard to achieve that. Why couldn't Colorado have taken Reggie also??
  5. At least Kim has been throwing well in his AAA rehab starts...5 games, 24.1 innings, 21 hits, 31/11 K/BB, .233 baa. Julio on the other hand got roughed up in Jupiter.
  6. Here is a link: http://www.denverpost.com/ci_5888680
  7. Not that I dont believe you, but is there a link? If this is true, i'm just glad he's gone. Kim is nothing great, but at least he is not Jorge Julio...
  8. it happens baseball is crazy like that it's not like we came into this weekend with a 25-10 record either.. No, but we're better than Washington. I dont think that saying the team is hurting is an excuse, it's the reality of the situation: - Starting Amezega, Borchard, Treanor (although not as a result of injury) makes the bottom of the lineup unspeakably awful. Add to that Jacobs being at about 70% or so and there are only 4 legitimate major league starting players in the lineup. - Cabrera was terrible in this series. As he goes, so goes the offense. His defense also was very shaky. I have no doubt he'll have a big series in Pittsburgh though - This team needs to start off well against the Pirates. Any one know if we might see Hermida out there?
  9. I've been giving Fredi Gonzalez the benifit of the doubt for a long time now Yes you have been patient...a whole month and a half. I don't always agree with everything Fredi has done, but come on. He's not exactly playing with his full deck right now. At least let him get a healthy team on the field before you decide he is clueless.
  10. JW...what is your fascination with John Gall? Perhaps it is that he is not Joe Borchard or Alfredo Amezaga? That is why i'm happy to see him in the lineup.... Get well soon Hermida and De Aza!
  11. o O that means Julio will be closing....GOD HELP US!!!! Doubt it. I would think either Tank, Lindstrom, or Gregg would get a shot before Julio...at least until Julio throws a few more scoreless innings.
  12. Please come back soon because I don't know how much longer I can take it with Borchard out there In hermida's spot. I second that. I can't watch Borchard constantly swing and miss anymore. He's a fine backup OF, but he is really getting exposed playing everyday. Hopefully Hermida rejoins the team sometime on the road trip.
  13. Why should UM build and maintain a stadium for just 6 home games when the Dolphins have a vacant, state-of-the-art facility available? That's the second time you've asked that question. Unfortunately for you, your analysis is flawed because you're comparing and/or equating a college program with a professional team. You're asking for a school to move their home games farther from the campus and away from public transportation, as if the U.M. fan base were made up of the general population and ignoring the student population. A university would MUCH rather have an on-campus stadium that have to go off-campus. And YOU of all people should be aware of that since Doak Campbell Stadium is on campus and Saturday afternoons are an event on campus. What if the Seminoles played at a state of the art facility in, let's say, Monticello? What it be the same? Of course not. So treating the Hurricanes as if they were a professional team that would be able to just move into a new facility is ludicrous. The main impediment to an on-campus stadium is the City of Coral Gables. The BankUnited Center took forever to get completed because the City created every single possible impediment for its construction. One other general point on funding for a stadium and/or university. College football is not like a professional sports team, like most universities, the UM football program actually funds the majority if not all of the athletics for the University. Especially at UM where football probably funds most of, if not all of the sports. A UM football stadium would generate money for the program. You can't compare a stadium for a private sports team with a stadium for the university. FAU is going through the same hurdles in trying to get their on campus football stadium complete. In their case, the stadium is part of an overall student center which will attempt to be financially feasible by "selling the development rights" to private developers for prime commercial, residential, and office space in exchange for a stadium (which is now to be a 45,000 seat open air facility and not the dome Schnellengberger envisioned). FAU is not exactly the same. They would have their on campus facility already built except for one thing.....money. They just don't have the funds. I highly doubt the Hurricanes have that problem. One, their athletic dept (or more specifically, the football program) makes money for the university. They are in a BCS conference, make a ton of money on broadcast rights, sell many season tickets, etc. The school is also a private university which charges high tuition fees....I'm sure they make more than a state school does. Now, you can argue that the Marlins should not get a stadium because they are a private entity, get revenue sharing, broadcast rights, etc.....But I'm just saying that I don't think it is right that people are outraged when government funds are used for one and not the other. Especially, when a ballpark would do more for the city than a football stadium that will be empty for about (and I'm being generous) 345 days a year.
  14. Louisville built Papa Johns Cardinal Stadium for $63,000,000 roughly 10 years ago, thats a 42K+ facility. They are talking about expanding it by 20K+ for another $63,000,000. So, if the stadium was built in full today like they planned at 63,000 capacity, about $200 mil. Minnesotas new 50K seat stadium will cost $288 mil. I could see why UM would want to stay away from a facility that could cost about $350,000,000 after land and what not. Which is why they will likely end up at Dolphin Stadium. To renovate the OB properly, it would cost at least $300 million. Hell, it's costing Wayne $250 million just to widen the concourses at DS.
  15. I for one do not have a problem with publicly financed sports venues. I think they add value to a community and promote growth in surrounding areas. I see spending public funds toward stadiums and areas just as justifable as spending public funds to build performing arts centers, museums, etc. That said, with all of the yelling and complaining people do when the Marlins stadium is brought up, I don't get the lack of outrage about the city offering upwards of $150 million to renovate the OB for a private university that plays 6 home games a season.
  16. Tear it down already. From what i've read the city's offer is about $100-$150 million toward renovations. By most accounts it will take double that to propertly renovate the OB. In fact, according to the Herald, the current offer would limit renovations of new restrooms and concession areas to the south side of the building. There is absolutely no good reason to spend that kind of money and do half of a job. UM moving to DS is a win-win for all involved. The university stands to make millions more each season playing there, Dolphin Stadium gets another high profile tenant, and the move helps the Marlins, the city, and county to finally resolve the Marlins stadium deal.
  17. I can't believe we called up Reed over Reggie... I can't believe that either one of these guys is even an option. We need De Aza and Hermida back fast.
  18. Any updates on Hermida? I was thinking that this was the chance to get him back on the roster. Even a gimpy Hermida would be a better option than Eric Reed again.
  19. And absolutely nothing to suggest that it will be resolved in a meaningful time frame. If I were able to wager, I'd say we're here again next year. I don't know. Maybe i'm too optimistic, but I think this will get resolved by the end of the summer. For one, all three parties seem committed and with MLB heavily involved, I can see things moving faster now. Plus in the next few weeks, UM will likely decide to play at Dolphin Stadium and when/if that happens, I think the city and county will move quickly to shift the funds already earmarked for the OB renovation to the Marlins deal. MLB won't subsidize this. They're here to help lobby. There is now nothing that can be lobbied (unless, of course, this is added to the special session). Of course there are other avenues that can be taken by MLB, but of course, it'll be tough to see any of their various other options come to fruition in a matter of months. MLB's involved, and at some point, I'm sure it'll get done. But there's absolutely no threat of relocation and very little possibility of either side caving in and kicking in the extra cash. So we're left with either the state coming back next year and approving it or MLB "pressuring" Loria to sell or sell part of his controlling interest to a deeper-pocketed owner with the option to sell out completely at a later date (AKA the Fred Wilpon plan). And I wouldn't wager either happens, certainly in the near future. Well I wasn't suggesting that MLB would subsidize this. They haven't had to for anyone else and every single team attempting to get a stadium built has...but one. But I think they can help in negotiations between the Marlins and the city and county, seeing as how things always haven't gone smoothly between Loria/Samson and the politicians. I just think that with the league involved, things will move along more quickly. Plus, I don't think that going back to the state is the only option left. For one, the mayor said yesterday, he'd be looking into other ways to close the gap using local funds. Plus there is always the UM factor. What UM does could play a big role in how quickly they get this thing finalized.
  20. And absolutely nothing to suggest that it will be resolved in a meaningful time frame. If I were able to wager, I'd say we're here again next year. I don't know. Maybe i'm too optimistic, but I think this will get resolved by the end of the summer. For one, all three parties seem committed and with MLB heavily involved, I can see things moving faster now. Plus in the next few weeks, UM will likely decide to play at Dolphin Stadium and when/if that happens, I think the city and county will move quickly to shift the funds already earmarked for the OB renovation to the Marlins deal.
  21. Here's the Marlins' statement: "We are very disappointed that the Florida State Legislature was unable to assist Miami-Dade County, the City of Miami and the Florida Marlins in their desire to spur economic development through the construction of a new baseball-only retractable-roof facility in Miami. Starting immediately, we will all begin the process of moving forward to attempt to secure the future of baseball in South Florida." http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/press_...sp&c_id=fla A whole lot of nothing right there....at least it isn't overly negative.
  22. This was supposed to be the best chance the Marlins had at getting the rebate out of Tallahassee was it not? I mean that is what we were all lead to believe. I seriously doubt that a $30 million gap is going to be the death kneel for this stadium. The three sides had to go into the session knowing that there was a strong possibility of this thing not passing again... You would certainly hope so. Who knows how this will play out, but I see the 2 remaining options as: 1. The three sides get together and find another $30 million. This should be relatively easy, but as we know, nothing is easy with the Marlins stadium. 2. Is that UM moves to Dolphin Stadium and more city and county money suddenly becomes available. This also seems likely as UM stand to make millions more per year at DS.
  23. did session end? their leaving Session ends at around 6pm. The team is not leaving, get the idea out of your lexicon. There is a reason all has been quiet from the Marlins side. And that reason would be? I'm with you though. This team is not leaving. There simply is no place better for them to go. MLB wants this market and you'd have to think that they have to be saying to themselves, "we are talking $30 million here, the amount most teams pay their 5th starter....if Loria and co. can't figure this out someone else can."
  24. From the Herald's blog: Villalobos' last-ditch attempt at Marlins? On one of the last issues on the Senate's agenda of the legislative session, Sen. Rudy Garcia, a Hialeah Republican and Sen. Alex Villalobos, a Miami Republican, stuck an amendment on a bill to expand Citizens, the state-run insurer. It would have allowed a new stadium for the Marlins, which isn't happening yet again this session. "Mr. President, I'm committed to the issue, as you can tell," Villalobos said. "I thought I'd try one more time." He conceded the amendment was fake and the Senate passed the Citizens bill with no debate. Posted by Stephanie Garry at 03:52 PM in State Senate Permalink | Comments http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpolitics/ Certainly sounds like the end of the bill this year. I really hope the Marlins give up on the state, I can't stand these people anymore. Every year it is the same thing, it passes in one chamber, dies in another. It is time to end this. The team, city, and county have to prove how much they really want to make this happen. If they are all committed to getting this thing built, $30 million shouldn't be a deal-breaker.
  25. From less than an hour ago on the AP: http://capefish.blogspot.com/2007/05/legis...nd-without.html So far, no one is committed one way or another. It seems like a Twilight Zone. I guess it is positive that it was one of the only bills that is mentioned as still having some hope. Sounds like the pro-Marlins people are still plugging away up there. Hope they get something accomplished.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.