NL East Race

Guest FishFanInPA

Tonight was the reason the Phillies have ZERO shot of winning. They can't win divisional games and you have to. I was doing some research on their schedule and there really arent too many easy series' left for them.

i swear to god, if atlanta wins this division...i am going to assassinate ted turner and put a dagger in the chest of JD Drew....psshh, the marlins killer...YOU CANT KILL A MARLIN WHEN YOR DEAD BITCH! :mischief

wait...after reviewing my post...i see it posted the word "bitch" i thought that it was censored. wierd.

The Marlins have the foundation which would aid them in nailing down this division - pitching.

Atlanta is getting some pretty good performances from guys who are playing above their talent level. If Chipper Jones starts hitting though, they will be tough. Forgive me if I dont think Estrada is going to hit like he has thus far for the second half.

The Mets are getting some similar performances from their older pitchers - Glavine, Leiter and Trachsel. Hidalgo seems to have resurrected his season and Jose Reyes is back. But I dont think they will have a consistent enough offense to stick it out. If they had better pitching, I would be worried.

The Phillies have some pitchers that could really turn it on - Millwood, Wolf - but they have some that are overrated - Myers - and I dont see any reason to believe that their starting pitching will improve. The offense is there, but seems to be on fire at home and quiet everywhere else. They will be there for the long run, but I dont see this team possessing the fire necessary to take over and win this thing.

Which brings us back to us. We have the pitching - which has underperformed for the most part all season. Pavano has been the only starter pitching up to his level. Burnett will begin to dominate. Willis, as long as he can stay patient and not rush, will be very good and help win. Penny should get back on track if he can stop leaning on his fastball so much. Beckett, I dont expect much from until the playoffs - if we can get there.

Our bullpen is showing signs of life. Benitez is the man. Koch is looking like he is starting to turn the corner. If our starters can get to the 7th more consistently, we will have a good chance of winning more games. We still have some very serviceable arms in the pen which I think could figure significantly - Perisho, Bump, Manzanillo is looking pretty solid.

The only question is the offense and for the second year in a row, it looks like LF is the weak link. But I think things will pan out there.

It is going to be a crazy 2nd half. I love our chances.

Its defintely going to be a tight division, but do NOT underestimate the braves chances. They are playing a lot better and they 'owned' the marlins in the first half for the most part. If we do not get improved performances out of our bullpen and clutch hitting this division will come down to the Braves and mets (and i say this b/c i think we can beat up on philly)

The Marlins have the foundation which would aid them in nailing down this division - pitching.

Atlanta is getting some pretty good performances from guys who are playing above their talent level. If Chipper Jones starts hitting though, they will be tough. Forgive me if I dont think Estrada is going to hit like he has thus far for the second half.

The Mets are getting some similar performances from their older pitchers - Glavine, Leiter and Trachsel. Hidalgo seems to have resurrected his season and Jose Reyes is back. But I dont think they will have a consistent enough offense to stick it out. If they had better pitching, I would be worried.

The Phillies have some pitchers that could really turn it on - Millwood, Wolf - but they have some that are overrated - Myers - and I dont see any reason to believe that their starting pitching will improve. The offense is there, but seems to be on fire at home and quiet everywhere else. They will be there for the long run, but I dont see this team possessing the fire necessary to take over and win this thing.

Which brings us back to us. We have the pitching - which has underperformed for the most part all season. Pavano has been the only starter pitching up to his level. Burnett will begin to dominate. Willis, as long as he can stay patient and not rush, will be very good and help win. Penny should get back on track if he can stop leaning on his fastball so much. Beckett, I dont expect much from until the playoffs - if we can get there.

Our bullpen is showing signs of life. Benitez is the man. Koch is looking like he is starting to turn the corner. If our starters can get to the 7th more consistently, we will have a good chance of winning more games. We still have some very serviceable arms in the pen which I think could figure significantly - Perisho, Bump, Manzanillo is looking pretty solid.

The only question is the offense and for the second year in a row, it looks like LF is the weak link. But I think things will pan out there.

It is going to be a crazy 2nd half. I love our chances.

460258[/snapback]

Atlanta scares the hell out of me. You're right, Estrada won't be hitting .500 with RISP for the rest of the year, but the two Joneses can go no where but up, plus they get Giles back and Scheurholz is one of the most creative GM's in the league, plus he has AOL/Time Warner money to play with.

Either way, this division will be up for grabs until the last weekend. Personally, I'd rather bury the Braves and take our chances with the Phillies and the Mets...the rabid nature of their fans and media coverage should beat them down the stretch.

Beckett healthy and Koch pitching like he has in his last few outings should be more than enough...anything we add at the deadline will just be lovely, but this team performing like it should, is good enough to win the NL East. Yes we need a bat, but we need Conine and Pierre to put the bad first half behind them and step up.

yea braves never go away i would rather see us fightin the phils or mets instead becuase we got a losing record vs.braves and winning vs. everyone else in our division.when we face the braves we gotta win, especially in turner. we never win there, i hate that field :censored