Will Beckett ever become an ace?

WildMarlinMan2003

Well he could just stay healthy and be mediocre (21-24) his whole career.

513161[/snapback]

Beckett? Mediocre? Highly doubtful. Just a bad season for him.

513416[/snapback]

His record is 21-24 in his career. He HAS BEEN very mediocre so far. But no doubt he will only get better.

513440[/snapback]

Thanks for stating the obvious - again. A record doesn't mean he's mediocre. What if his offense gives him one run per game, for example, a pitcher is 10-35 in his career with 1.41 ERA, is he just "mediocre" ?? (This is just an exampe - I hope there's no pitchers like this out there LOL)

513161[/snapback]

513416[/snapback]

His record is 21-24 in his career. He HAS BEEN very mediocre so far. But no doubt he will only get better.

513440[/snapback]

Thanks for stating the obvious - again. A record doesn't mean he's mediocre. What if his offense gives him one run per game, for example, a pitcher is 10-35 in his career with 1.41 ERA, is he just "mediocre" ?? (This is just an exampe - I hope there's no pitchers like this out there LOL)

513540[/snapback]

Josh has stated in the paper yeaterday that he hates being mediocre so far in his career! Being mediocre doesn't have to do with record....it has to do with being inconsistant (like your posts). Josh will look like Cy Young one night and then lose 3 starts in row. Aces don't do that.

513161[/snapback]

513416[/snapback]

513440[/snapback]

513540[/snapback]

Josh has stated in the paper yeaterday that he hates being mediocre so far in his career! Being mediocre doesn't have to do with record....it has to do with being inconsistant (like your posts). Josh will look like Cy Young one night and then lose 3 starts in row. Aces don't do that.

513575[/snapback]

Pretty funny how you attempt to say MY posts are inconsistant...too bad you aren't quoted in my sig anymore..I'll give it until tomm before you decide to 360 and give us a good quote again.

Beckett has the stuff to be an ace. He still takes an attitude to the mound that he can blow his fast ball past anyone....and often times gets beat as a result.

Once he learns how to pitch instead of throw, he will develop the consistency we need. It may take a few more years, but it will all click for him someday.

Beckett is probably the second most over-rated player next to:

513732[/snapback]

how is he overrated? did he make the All-Star team? do you think people rate him among the top 10 pitchers in the game right now? the top 20? 30?

he was a highly touted prospect, has had some great moments, lots of injuries, and is still only in his 3rd full season in the majors.

You guys keep talking about Beckett and Pavano being the ACE when you know the true ACE is A.J. he will be the ace coming into next year. he is the one with the best stuff, look at what he is doing now coming off tommy john surgery what other pitcher has come back that quickly and done as good as he has done. everyone takes about 2 years or 1.5 to get their stuff back.......wait till next year how nasty A.J will be.

A.J BURNETT #34 IS THE ACE!!!!! :notworthy

I dont think Beckett will emerge for another 3 years. He has a lot to learn - like figuring out his blister problem.

I too think he has to learn not to fall in love with his fastball and concentrate more on changing speeds and becoming more of a pitcher than a thrower. He has the raw talent and the mental makeup to be a great one. But it is going to take a few years for him to develop. He is still very young.

One thing is for sure - he is a clutch pitcher. He rises to the occasion as he did during the second half last season and throughout the playoffs. He knows no fear. As long as he is healthy this time of year, I like our chances with him on the mound. But our ACE right now is Pavano.

Which reminds me, AJ has a lot to learn still. He too needs to learn to pitch and not throw.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.