Berardino: 5 Offseason Keys for the Marlins

Hotcorner

Replacing Enc with someone else is KEY.

570734[/snapback]

i would take anyone for him

alive or dead

:plain

570739[/snapback]

We probably end up giving him away and paying some of his contract. I dont think he could start for ANYONE though, so that may prove difficult.

570745[/snapback]

I would say the only way to do it, is trade someone with value, and make that team take Enc along with that player.

McKeon needs to retire back to N Carolina.

WHY does everyone LOVE LoDuca? He's a lousy catcher. He can't throw a flea out. Sure he can hit but I just don't think he's good catcher at all. He hasn't handled this pitching staff well. Sure he's just getting to know them but I have not been impressed with his catching at all. After watching him since he came here from LA, I can see why they got rid of him. He's overrated!

I hope we do keep Pavano but I think that's going to depend on whether the Marlins can afford him and who the mananger will be next year. If Pavano feels he is forced to pitch the rest of the season on three days' rest, he may decide he doesn't want to come back here.

WHY does everyone LOVE LoDuca? He's a lousy catcher. He can't throw a flea out. Sure he can hit but I just don't think he's good catcher at all. He hasn't handled this pitching staff well. Sure he's just getting to know them but I have not been impressed with his catching at all. After watching him since he came here from LA, I can see why they got rid of him. He's overrated!

I hope we do keep Pavano but I think that's going to depend on whether the Marlins can afford him and who the mananger will be next year. If Pavano feels he is forced to pitch the rest of the season on three days' rest, he may decide he doesn't want to come back here.

571559[/snapback]

Is Niner's contract done with? I'm sorry, he's solid but he's not solid enough for this team, trading him would be a horrible PR move but at the same time he is making what 4 million or so?

Aren't the Fish done paying Hampton's contract after this season? Doesn't that 'free up' some money?

Lowell and Pavano are the most important.

For the majoirty of the season I'd like to see:

1B Stokes

2B Castillo

SS Gonzo

3B Lowell

RF Cabs

LF Dellucci

CF Pierre

C Lo Duca

Bullpen: Spooney, Mota, Sanez, Koch, (insert a free agent here)

Anyone have a link to the available free agents for this offseason? Ideally we'd want a LF/RF with a lot of power potential with a solid to above average arm. I don't want too much defensive liability, I do feel comfortable with Pierre in CF being able to chase down most of the balls so that the defensive liabilities in LF and RF as far as chasing down balls would be erased.

I wouldn't mind not signing LoDuca if that meant we'd put in a big time power hitter like Delgado at first.

I don't know how many people are willing to let Treanor, Willingham, and Castro fight it off. Fact is Lo Duca is a solid hitter, but he isn't a great defensive player. If we stand the chance at putting a top tier power hitter at first or in the outfield we should do it in a hearbeat.

If the Marlins had a big bat in the middle of the lineup, we would have won this division easily.

Assuming we get a ballpark what does the payroll stand to look like for next season? Has Beinfest released any figures?

WHY does everyone LOVE LoDuca?? He's a lousy catcher.? He can't throw a flea out.? Sure he can hit but I just don't think he's good catcher at all.? He hasn't handled this pitching staff well.? Sure he's just getting to know them but I have not been impressed with his catching at all.? After watching him since he came here from LA, I can see why they got rid of him.? He's overrated!

I hope we do keep Pavano but I think that's going to depend on whether the Marlins can afford him and who the mananger will be next year.? If Pavano feels he is forced to pitch the rest of the season on three days' rest, he may decide he doesn't want to come back here.

571559[/snapback]

1B Stokes

2B Castillo

SS Gonzo

3B Lowell

RF Cabs

LF Dellucci

CF Pierre

C Lo Duca

571705[/snapback]

Stokes is not very good he had another dissapointing season in AA. We won't see him up here any time soon, and Dellucci? We could do way better than that.

571559[/snapback]

1B Stokes

2B Castillo

SS Gonzo

3B Lowell

RF Cabs

LF Dellucci

CF Pierre

C Lo Duca

571705[/snapback]

Stokes is not very good he had another dissapointing season in AA. We won't see him up here any time soon, and Dellucci? We could do way better than that.

571706[/snapback]

Stokes started off strong and he has alot of power, I'm confident he'd be able to hit more dingers than Conine. He trailed off but still hit over .270 and hit 23 homers in less than 400 ABs. Willingham, Dillon? It's a trade-off at this point, we are an above average hitting team average wise but we are lacking noticeably in power we can't expect to produce runs and somehow not balance that off a bit.

Dellucci would probably come in at about 2 million or so a year. He could hit 20 - 25 homers and despite his .247 average this season he still had an .800 OPS

Anyhow we need more power, Conine and Enc are making combined like 8 million we could put Dellucci in place of Enc and free up some money to resign Carl. A-Gon is having a career year in terms of power and we still finished near the bottom in Homers...

Do you see any other person stepping it up in terms of power?? If anything with this current team we'll produce produce less homers next season.

Cabs will finish 30 - 33 homers

Lowell will finish with 26 - 29 homers

Gonzo will finish with 23 - 25 homers

Do you see any improvement in power with those guys? It's not a safe bet anyway. Cabs might take another big development step next season entering at 21 and blast nearly 40 but that's very very optimistic.

Conine has 13, and Enc will proably 16 - 18 to finish the season.

We are the only team in the league that has two truly leadoff hitters in Castillo and Pierre. If we want to continue to keep the Pierre Castillo system afloat we are going to have to really increase our power and we are going to have to do so more than likely cheaply. I don't know the FA list, but I don't see many better options especiall financially than Dellucci unless we forgo on Loduca and Benitez, rid ourselves of Enc and try to go for top tier power hitter.

Any other cheap juiced up players that are available are two years or three years away from roiding out?

1B Stokes

2B Castillo

SS Gonzo

3B Lowell

RF Cabs

LF Dellucci

CF Pierre

C Lo Duca

571705[/snapback]

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings

But that team is horrible

And Niner makes 4.75 mil next season

Stokes started off strong and he has alot of power, I'm confident he'd be able to hit more dingers than Conine. He trailed off but still hit over .270 and hit 23 homers in less than 400 ABs. Willingham, Dillon? It's a trade-off at this point, we are an above average hitting team average wise but we are lacking noticeably in power we can't expect to produce runs and somehow not balance that off a bit.

Dellucci would probably come in at about 2 million or so a year. He could hit 20 - 25 homers and despite his .247 average this season he still had an .800 OPS

571732[/snapback]

And Willingham hit 24 homers in only 338 at-bats. Not to mention Willingham had an OPS 150 points higher than Stokes. Stokes strikes out at an almost unheard of rate. He would most certainly be dominated at the major league level.

As far as Dellucci. 20-25 HRs? Yeah right. Dellucci has 44 career home runs in 8 years in the majors. He had a nice year this year, but you have to remember that the Ballpark at Arlington is an extreme hitters park.

I agree that we need more power, but you're looking at the wrong guys.

1B Stokes

2B Castillo

SS Gonzo

3B Lowell

RF Cabs

LF Dellucci

CF Pierre

C Lo Duca

571705[/snapback]

571742[/snapback]

No kidding..

1B Stokes

2B Castillo

SS Gonzo

3B Lowell

RF Cabs

LF Dellucci

CF Pierre

C Lo Duca

571705[/snapback]

I'll like to see Chad Fox back next season. Stokes is not ready yet.

I'd like to see:

1B Conine

2B Castillo

3B Lowell

SS Gonzalez

LF Cabrera

CF Pierre

RF Guillen? (Jose)

1B Stokes

2B Castillo

SS Gonzo

3B Lowell

RF Cabs

LF Dellucci

CF Pierre

C Lo Duca

571705[/snapback]

571742[/snapback]

I'm sure you'd like to add Delgado, keep Pavano, and perhaps just pick up Magglio ....

I'm just trying to bound my optimism with reality. That lineup is probably something very close to what you will see next season with Conine at first rather than Stokes, and that team is worse than this year's team. We can't count on anyone to really rebound from last season. Gonzo had a career year as far as homers, Cabs might get even better but betting on that is being a homer, Lowell played about where he should, Castillo maybe a little low in the average department but only a hair and Pierre did a bit better than the season previous. Conine won't do any better and Lo Duca probably won't do any better than what he's done so far with the Fish, so that l eaves us with absolutely no underachievers (except for Enc, but I don't know if it's healthy betting on him to improve that horrible OBP when he hasn't been able to his whole career) that we can count on to hopefully rebound and that leaves us without the best closer in the game next season.

At the very least the team has potential and if we are working under those constraints, I would much rather have Stokes at first than Conine. While Stokes might implode atleast he does have the potential to post some good power numbers, putting in Conine is pure resignation, the guy is aging and is a below average ML player now, his tag isn't all that cheap either. As far as it affecting Stoke's development (if he fails) it won't be hampered any, he's been 'developing' for a while now and if he can't cut it soon he's never going to cut it.

I don't think many of you are reasoning in the right way. Assume there is a 15 to 20 percent chance that Stokes does well or a 15 - 20 percent chance that Dellucci comes pretty close to matching his performance in Texas then there does exist some possibility that this team could perform better than last year. Even if it is just a 4 percent chance I'd rather that than a guaranteed worst offense. Especially when Dellucci could perform no worse than Encarnacion offensively and we have Conine to cover Stokes if he can't cut it.

As for Guillen, he would have been a great addition last year, but he inked with the Angels.

Delgado's stock is lower than it would have been had he been a Free Agent last year. He might do what Benitez and Pudge did and ink a one year deal just to up his value for a long-term deal. If so we'd be best letting Lo Duca leave and sign him for 10 million.

While I don't think this will happen because Loria is that cheap, this might be the best option for a couple million more:

Pierre

Castillo

Lowell

Delgado

Cabrera

Delucci/Conine

Gonzo

Willingham

http://home.earthlink.net/~pdave/id5.html

A link to free agents...

Sexson or Delgado would be nice

Magglio's value is probably still pretty high, plus he isn't as great a power threat as those two and he is injury prone.

Those are the only top tier players we might be able to get if Loria puts out a bit and we get rid of Enc and let LoDuca go...

This has got me thinking...

If we were to go after a big free agent, that free agent should be JD Drew, and his 1.000+ OPS. For that to happen though I think it would take Enc, Lo Duca, and Luis all leaving.

I would much rather see this lineup, than if we were to keep our same lineup from this year.

Pierre

Easley

Drew

Cabrera

Lowell

Conine/Willingham

Gonzalez

Red/Willingham

When Easley has started he has outplayed Luis by a significant margin. Given even more playing time Easley could put up impressive #'s. The Willingham/Red combo could at least come close to, if not excede Lo Duca's production, and the upgrade of Drew over Enc would be astronomical. Say Drew makes 9 million next year. Easley makes 1.5 million, and Willingham makes $300,000. That's $10.8 million.

If Lo Duca makes $6 million which I think is a good estimate. Him, Luis, and Enc would make $15.3 million combined.

We could significantly upgrade our lineup and save $4.5 million in the process.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.